IGNORED

Diedhiou

Spike

11 minutes ago, TomF said:

He was up against a very good player in Coady today who has kept better premier league strikers quiet this season. Let’s not pick on any of the side they’ve all been Instrumental in our recent run.  

This. Coady is a superb defender.

1 minute ago, Spike said:

Not sure where you got those number, he's 23 in 64 for City in all competitions.

9 in 28 games this season - 0.321
14 in 36 last season - 0.388 goals per game

his goals per game ratio has dropped this season compared to last and last season he was part of a forward 2 which is his best role. Simply put he's scored less goals per game as the only striker than he did with another striker who scored 21 in 52 games.

Aso to compare to Ligue 2 which is a much less physical division and much lower quality of football:

22 in 37 in Ligue 2 which is 0.594

It just goes to show that whilst he can score goals that's not his game, he's a support striker and in a system where you're the only striker you need to be hitting at least 20 a season or you're relying on the midfield to find those extra goals.

He averages a goal every 210 minutes this season. One every 2.33 games. A very reasonable return for a £5m striker, which is far from a huge fee in this division.

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/bristol-city/top-scorers

40 minutes ago, Spike said:

I'd disagree with that last bit. His goal ratio is fine as a supporting striker which is what until this season he has been. The issue has come with our new formation and style where he's played as a lone striker. 

As a love striker you need to do at least one of two things:

1) Hold the ball up well and play the rest of the team in around you and score the odd goal or

2) Be prolific and end the season with at least 20 goals. 

Fammy doesn't fit either of those, he's a supporting striker at best. He's not consistent enough in his control and ability to hold up the ball and he's certainly not going to put 20 on by the end of the season. 

He has 9 goals this season. He missed the first 6 games and there are still 15 games to go.

Based on his ratio this season, another 21 games would give him 18 goals in total for the season. Hardly a million miles from the 20 you claim he’s so far off.

Fam’s deficiencies are highlighted by the fact he has no competition. He’s a good header of the ball but his lack of movement means he gets on the end of much less than he could - static and easy to defend against. He was well behind everyone in the team today technically apart from Bailey Wright - at times it was a bit painful to watch. Really want him to do well and fair play he is out top scorer. It’s plain he needs competion and it’s a shame we couldn’t go and get that in the transfer window but we have to accept the club made a calculated decision not to break the bank for it. I take comfort from the fact that Gary Johnson took us to the playoff final without a standout striker. But frustrating today as we should’ve scored.

3 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Right now, how would him use him, if at all? 

That's the issue, he's not suitable for how we are playing right now. If I was LJ I'd be devastated that we never got that lone striker in for the bigger opponents, Fammy can play there against some teams and we can get away with it but it showed today as we've seen in the past that Fammy's touch, control and receiving play is not up to par for a real challenge.

Personally, if we're not going to play the long high ball to Fammy then I genuinely wonder why we're not giving Eisa or Semenyo a game to get them accustomed to that role? I mean if we're not playing the high balls to Fammy because he can't beat his markers or hold onto the ball to the point where we're going to play the short pass until it opens up then Taylor, Weimann, Eisa and Semenyo are all able to play that sole striker role.

I suppose we need to decide what we're doing with our strikers, are we playing the big, strong solo striker to hold up play and receive the long balls when necessary or if we're going to go all short ball play and use the long balls for the wingers. If it's the latter then there is no reason Fammy can't be dropped for one of our other strikers as they're more than capable of playing that lone striker role if it's just about getting in the box and causing problems or linking up play through the middle. The only thing Fammy has that our other strikers don't is size and strength and he's barely using that right now.

9 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

From here :

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=79517

the 48 will be starts whereas I suspect the stats you have include sub appearances. 

So we're only talking starts? In that case a better example would be minutes played, if that's the case Fammy was still more prolific in a front two as his goals per game based on minutes played was 0.49 goals per 90 minutes last season, this season it's 0.39 goals per 90 minutes.

We know that Fam isn't good enough and we will regret not bringing in a top Striker in the January transfer window. Our season will fizzle out now and we will end up a respectable 10th (which we would have all taken at the start of the season) The other top six teams all have proven 10 - 15 goal scorers some have 2 or 3 of them

1 minute ago, westonred said:

We know that Fam isn't good enough and we will regret not bringing in a top Striker in the January transfer window. Our season will fizzle out now and we will end up a respectable 10th (which we would have all taken at the start of the season) The other top six teams have proven 10 - 15 goal scorers some 2 or 3

I wouldn;t go that far, the rest of the season will be tough but we could very well still end up in the play offs as we've got the talent in every other position and the depth too. My only concern is if we do make it, then we'll be up against teams just as good as us with that little extra up front, there is no doubt our defence will be strong but to win the play off's you need goals in key games, something Fammy is struggling with, meaning we'll need to rely on the quality we have elsewhere to bring us through.

I'm not resigned to this season being over based on my assessment of Fammy, far from it, I just think he's the weak link in our otherwise strong chain.

3 minutes ago, westonred said:

We know that Fam isn't good enough and we will regret not bringing in a top Striker in the January transfer window. Our season will fizzle out now and we will end up a respectable 10th (which we would have all taken at the start of the season) The other top six teams all have proven 10 - 15 goal scorers some have 2 or 3 of them

How many do you think Diedhiou will finish with if its not between 10-15?

6 minutes ago, westonred said:

He’s got 9 already having missed 6 games and with 15 games still to go. Sounds to me likes a 10-15 goal scorer.

4 minutes ago, Spike said:

That's the issue, he's not suitable for how we are playing right now. If I was LJ I'd be devastated that we never got that lone striker in for the bigger opponents, Fammy can play there against some teams and we can get away with it but it showed today as we've seen in the past that Fammy's touch, control and receiving play is not up to par for a real challenge.

Personally, if we're not going to play the long high ball to Fammy then I genuinely wonder why we're not giving Eisa or Semenyo a game to get them accustomed to that role? I mean if we're not playing the high balls to Fammy because he can't beat his markers or hold onto the ball to the point where we're going to play the short pass until it opens up then Taylor, Weimann, Eisa and Semenyo are all able to play that sole striker role.

I suppose we need to decide what we're doing with our strikers, are we playing the big, strong solo striker to hold up play and receive the long balls when necessary or if we're going to go all short ball play and use the long balls for the wingers. If it's the latter then there is no reason Fammy can't be dropped for one of our other strikers as they're more than capable of playing that lone striker role if it's just about getting in the box and causing problems or linking up play through the middle. The only thing Fammy has that our other strikers don't is size and strength and he's barely using that right now.

So we're only talking starts? In that case a better example would be minutes played, if that's the case Fammy was still more prolific in a front two as his goals per game based on minutes played was 0.49 goals per 90 minutes last season, this season it's 0.39 goals per 90 minutes.

You with all respect did not answer the question.

How would you play him now if at all?

It could be viewed that if the player in question is the most likely to score in a squad that is not overburdened with goal scoring talent he is the most suitable option. 

The only thing Fammy has that our other strikers don't is size and strength and he's barely using that right now … He has a historical higher goals ratio and goal scoring ratio to shots.

The players key skills are not working away from the box working channels and coming short. Playing Famara pushed up top then bolstering midfield is logical right now at this point. The approach has also resulted in an startling improvement in results v last seasons significant decrease when the player was included in the XI and expected to work away from the box for a team in and out of possession . 

7 minutes ago, westonred said:

We know that Fam isn't good enough

Good enough for what? He isn’t good enough for Prem but not sure if that’s what you are referring to. We’ve got to top 5 with him in our team? He scores roughly 1 in 2 in this league which is good.  So clearly good enough for this league. 

If he gets injured we have an issue with no backup though. However I back LJ - he did try and if you can’t get the right player then you can’t do anything. 

1 minute ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Good enough for what? He isn’t good enough for Prem but not sure if that’s what you are referring to. We’ve got to top 5 with him in our team? He scores roughly 1 in 2 in this league which is good.  So clearly good enough for this league. 

If he gets injured we have an issue with no backup though. However I back LJ - he did try and if you can’t get the right player then you can’t do anything. 

I dont think he is good enough to play that role up front on his own all season long and needs help

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

8 or 9 goals as the main striker in a top six team in February isn’t good enough ....

Depends on what you define as main striker?  We play one striker in a 4141/4411 the majority of the time.  Teams can play a focal point without expecting him to be the main goal threat (Liverpool - Firminho for example).  The 4141 is a formation based on keeping us solid. Allowing Pack to protect the CBs and dictate the play.  Diedhiou on his own is the fall guy to allow the other 9 outfield players to work in the current style.  And you know what, we’ve been successful.

1 hour ago, Alex_BCFC said:

22 goals in 48 starts for City - that’s a good return and especially for someone who has basically been playing a thankless task of up top on his own.

He is a good championship striker - no more no less. And I said earlier he was out of his depth today. 

Yep, his goals per start or per 90 minutes is decent...esoecially this season in a cautiously set up team.

7 minutes ago, harvey54 said:

Never got a look in. Looks out of his depth against a decent centre half. Taylor found space and looked creative when he came on and should get a chance in place of Fammy. We look a much better side with a false nine and Pato in the hole 

Maybe he does deserve a chance instead of Fammy.  But ask yourself “why can Matty come on and flit around, coming short, spinning, going either side?”.  Because Diedhiou’s central role allows him to, he’s occupying 2 (3 today) CBs most of the time.  Taylor invariably comes on and makes a strike duo.

It would be interesting to see Taylor play from the start in the 4141 We now play.  I think under patterns of play, it’s quite possible that Matty gets in others way, nor is he is position for the out-ball.

Whilst we are on the good run, I see little reason to change the striker, unless to give him a rest.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

8 or 9 goals as the main striker in a top six team in February isn’t good enough ....

Without wishing to be flippant, it is given we're in the top 6. Of course you can argue with a better striker we'd be top 2, but what about the lack of goals from midfield? IMO Brownhill is terrific but he's on course for what, 7-8 goals this season? Is that good enough for an attacking midfielder in a top 6 team? I'd still say yes if we have the 2nd best defence! 

8 minutes ago, westonred said:

A narrow defeat to a Premier League team after 9 wins in a row and 15 unbeaten and that’s enough to convince you we’ll finish 10th, despite being 6 clear of 8th with two games in hand?

What exactly would it take for you to be positive?

4 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

You with all respect did not answer the question.

How would you play him now if at all?

It could be viewed that if the player in question is the most likely to score in a squad that is not overburdened with goal scoring talent he is the most suitable option. 

The only thing Fammy has that our other strikers don't is size and strength and he's barely using that right now … He has a historical higher goals ratio and goal scoring ratio to shots.

The players key skills are not working away from the box working channels and coming short. Playing Famara pushed up top then bolstering midfield is logical right now at this point. The approach has also resulted in an startling improvement in results v last seasons significant decrease when the player was included in the XI and expected to work away from the box for a team in and out of possession . 

That’s what I was trying to say...ta.

3 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

A narrow defeat to a Premier League team after 9 wins in a row and 15 unbeaten and that’s enough to convince you we’ll finish 10th, despite being 6 clear of 8th with two games in hand?

Yes i feel that we have some very tough games coming up and i would love us to power on and make the play offs however i feel that we lack the firepower which the other teams around us have got

1 hour ago, BanburyRed said:

**** me! Barely finished the game and OTIB already looking for a scapegoat. Shameful.

Who is looking for a scapegoat? 

Just discussion on a FORUM.  As another poster said their man was £38 e  or what ever.  FD was £5.00M or what ever. 

I would always give FD 9 or 10  out of 10 for effort, but skill and impact on the game 3-5.  He is what he is and he is our choice first striker. 

Its not making anyone a scape goat as we played a great second half, he simply got no joy from some real quality defenders, and I saw LJ giving him some more than once today !

7 minutes ago, westonred said:

Famara is plenty good enough -  as a second striker. He’s good for around 15 goals a season....

As for regretting not bringing in a striker during the winter window - why do you suppose that was? 

It was because January is a poor time to sign any player. Even if they’re available they’re  overpriced and decent ones, especially strikers are really hard to find. LJ said that there were none available at the right price. We have to remember that SL has a financial strategy that LJ has to adhere to......

49 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Clearly he is - 22 from 48 starts at City. 

He wouldn't get in anyone else's frontline m8 he's bang average at best and last few games a total dead weight. MT changes games simply because he runs the channel well and actually has a 1st touch FD doesn't. You keep plucking stats but more often than not when he does score it's through others hard work and not his. 

5 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Ive been following City for 45+ years and have seen it all before yes we had a narrow loss today against a Prem side but we miss that bit of quality up front the other teams have and i fear its going to cost us

Archived