IGNORED

Diedhiou

Spike

30 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Quite often he doesn't look "sharp" and half a yard ff the pace, which might explain that his control looks a bit "bouncy". He has a languid running style, so that even when he's springing he seems to be doing so in semi slow motion.

However, I also think is one of those players whose contribution often goes unnoticed and unappreciated by fans. I suspect he is a player that defenders hate having to play against and he takes a lot of physical punishment, often tying up 2 defenders. 

See I don't think he does, I watch him a lot rather than the other players because I want to see his movement improving but it rarely does. Whenever a defender gives as good as they get against him Fammy usually ends up on the floor and quite often without winning a free kick. If the opposition know us well they'd pick up on that and I think some teams have as they put a physical defender on him and watch him disappear, even more so against Wolves because they have a few physical, capable defenders.

If I were up against us I honestly don't think I'd be that worried about Fammy, I'd put a big man on him and say "get on his back but don't foul him" because that's when Fammy either drops to the floor and gets nothing or he struggles to control the ball and allows them to take possession. I'd be more worried about our wings or allowing Brownhill space on the edge of the area.

A few have pointed to the goal scorers in other top teams and how much better their scoring records are compared to Famara's, but how many would Billy Sharp, Pukki or Ched Adams score if they played in this City team, with our playing style and in Famara's role?

Well for a start Sharp would have, he's very good at finding space and getting on the end of crosses, he is good with his back to goal, he can hit them from range and most important to our crossing game he's fantastic in the air.
Pukki you could argue would not be as prolific as he is for Norwich but he'd certainly get goals with us, we create a lot of chances and certainly get the ball to feet where he likes it. I'd also argue that in a 4-1-4-1 system as we use if we had Pukki we'd be looking to change the approach to attacking to suit the player, we don't play those defence cutting passes because Fammy isn't a fast, off the shoulder striker, however put Kasey behind Pukki and he'd carve the defence over and over again.

Personally I would prefer us to have a more mobile player in the lone striker role, even if he didn't have quite FD's physicality. If toy add on being a decent goalscorer as well then you are looking at a fair few million on the price tag and such a player being on the radar of  bigger clubs than us!

This is why Assombalonga is such a great target and probably why the club had a look at him before Middlesbrough confirmed they'd not be letting him go. Assombalonga is far more mobile than Fammy despite being a large, strong player and his finishing both on the ground and in the air is better.

1 minute ago, Spike said:

See I don't think he does, I watch him a lot rather than the other players because I want to see his movement improving but it rarely does. Whenever a defender gives as good as they get against him Fammy usually ends up on the floor and quite often without winning a free kick. If the opposition know us well they'd pick up on that and I think some teams have as they put a physical defender on him and watch him disappear, even more so against Wolves because they have a few physical, capable defenders.

If I were up against us I honestly don't think I'd be that worried about Fammy, I'd put a big man on him and say "get on his back but don't foul him" because that's when Fammy either drops to the floor and gets nothing or he struggles to control the ball and allows them to take possession. I'd be more worried about our wings or allowing Brownhill space on the edge of the area.

Well for a start Sharp would have, he's very good at finding space and getting on the end of crosses, he is good with his back to goal, he can hit them from range and most important to our crossing game he's fantastic in the air.
Pukki you could argue would not be as prolific as he is for Norwich but he'd certainly get goals with us, we create a lot of chances and certainly get the ball to feet where he likes it. I'd also argue that in a 4-1-4-1 system as we use if we had Pukki we'd be looking to change the approach to attacking to suit the player, we don't play those defence cutting passes because Fammy isn't a fast, off the shoulder striker, however put Kasey behind Pukki and he'd carve the defence over and over again.

This is why Assombalonga is such a great target and probably why the club had a look at him before Middlesbrough confirmed they'd not be letting him go. Assombalonga is far more mobile than Fammy despite being a large, strong player and his finishing both on the ground and in the air is better.

Agree about Assombalonga, as he seems the ideal player for that role and our playing style.

Unfortunately the rumoured were and wages reflect that, but also why Boro would not let him go without a suitable replacement.

8 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Agree about Assombalonga, as he seems the ideal player for that role and our playing style.

Unfortunately the rumoured were and wages reflect that, but also why Boro would not let him go without a suitable replacement.

Yeah exactly, it's a real heart breaker really because I think he'd be that last piece of the puzzle to have a push with a genuine shout of pulling it off.

23 hours ago, BCFC Richard said:

Virtually 0 passes in his direction first half. Works tirelessly, has had a hand in a 1/4 of all our league goals. Is selfless and passionate and very effective at championship level. His role is not just about goals. 

All the more reason then to half agree with the OP; we need another striker. I think the lack of one coming in last month will ultimately be reflected upon as our failure to be promoted... Sincerely hope I am wrong.

On 17/02/2019 at 15:01, Spike said:

I've seen a lot of people defending Fammy because of the run but I'm confident in saying he's not the player we need playing solo upfront. 

Today showed that he is not that target man good size suggests he is, as much as it pains me to say even in the 88th minute at 1-0 down with utter dominance in the second half we still didn't play it long to Fammy because everyone on the pitch knew he couldn't get on the end of it, let alone hold onto it. 

Fammy in my opinion should be on the bench with his recent form. The penalty he scored showed courage but that's not enough when you're chasing a cup or promotion to the Premier league. His touch on his day can be fantastic but on a whole is not good enough to be a target man, his strength doesn't do him the favours it needs to. 

Today even Fielding got a shot in, I don't remember Fammy doing so. I think yet again our January transfers have fallen just short, Palmer is great but we needed a striker. Even after today Fammy has no competition at all to keep him out of the line up and it's not because he's good, it's because we don't have that depth required to keep players fighting for their place. 

Matty looked sharp today cracking flicked on header, was proactive but he's not the right type of player to play that solo role. 

I'm sure there will be many who say Fammy did his part but I don't agree with that, he does his part when he's on form but when he's off I would genuinely say he's a detriment to the team. 

I appreciate it's a numbers game but he has missed some sitters in recent weeks. 

FD is the lone striker in the way LJ likes to play as he is the only person we have with that physicality. There is no other reason and it's not really the boys best use, however it fits the team and he does his best with what he is being asked to do.

Taylor is an attacking midfielder not an out and out forward, never has been never will be. Nevertheless he's a very good player, smart, quick thinking, can find a pass and knarly the sort of player defenders hate. He wins Free Kicks and as soon as he's on changes everything. This weekend is yet another example.

The way we line up and conduct ourselves as a team is largely based in a policy that will simply not pay huge money for forwards. So we hope Semenyo, Adelakun and Eisa can find something soon as they are the real key as to the flogging to death of Fammy in a 4411

Interesting debate... I can see both the good and the bad in Fammy.

At times his control of the ball with his feet is woeful, and he also seems to lose out on winning attacking headers if in physical tussle with CBs. His anticipation of crosses during open play is almost non-existent, how often have we seen him slide in just too late on balls across the 6 yard box - that's because he doesn't start to move until the cross is on it's way. However, he does occupy CBs and thus create space for others, he can hit a sweet curler and, as seen with the QPR penalty, has mental toughness and self-confidence.  He also makes an awful lot of clearing headers from opposition corners and FKs.

Right now, I think he is key to our pattern of play. 

3 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Interesting debate... I can see both the good and the bad in Fammy.

At times his control of the ball with his feet is woeful, and he also seems to lose out on winning attacking headers if in physical tussle with CBs. His anticipation of crosses during open play is almost non-existent, how often have we seen him slide in just too late on balls across the 6 yard box - that's because he doesn't start to move until the cross is on it's way. However, he does occupy CBs and thus create space for others, he can hit a sweet curler and, as seen with the QPR penalty, has mental toughness and self-confidence.  He also makes an awful lot of clearing headers from opposition corners and FKs.

Right now, I think he is key to our pattern of play. 

This is a key point that people forget when calling for him to be dropped in favour of a smaller forward... Without him, we are much weaker defending set-pieces. That forces Johnsons hand to an extent. Same goes for Pack. Replace them both with say Taylor and Morrell and we become vulnerable.

Last season it was Reid and Famara. Complete different way of playing with one striker this season. So far he has 9 goals, woodwork a couple of times. His touch sometimes not so good but I think he does it well all and all. He has a good shoot and he, as others said, is important in our defensive play. When Zlatan played in our Swedish team he had the same job as Famara. Long balls in the air with two defenders on him. Dont say Famara is Zlatan or Maradona but fact is, he is our fw who won 7 games in row. Last games think Weimann and Famara worked better together.

11 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Sorry if I’ve missed something obvious, but how do you get ‘League - a goal every 192 mins’ from that table? Cheers...

Quite easy.

1892 mins + 2340 mins = 4232 mins

9 goals + 13 goals = 22 goals

4232 divided by 22 = 192.36 recurring

12 hours ago, italian dave said:

Talking to Norwich fans after the game today, and the one City player they picked out was Diedhiou. It's interesting how,often opposing fans seem to see so much more in him than our own sometimes do. 

They were very complimentary about City: best side at Carrow Road this season.

My mate is a Norwich ST holder and said hes found Diédhiou the best all round striker in the league. 

IMO he is & I don’t know why some fans want to slate a player who gets battered by defences for 95 mins every game, scores important goals, and is pivotal to how we play. 

Anyone who’s seen him play away this season will appreciate how good he is. 

On ‎18‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 13:11, Mr Popodopolous said:

Tin hat time but Tammy...much as I think he is a great striker and was brilliant 2 years ago- our saviour in fact.

Would he have the all-round game to be the lone striker in our formation? I question it.

@Spike Agreed- Diedhiou's movement, it is always noticeable or often noticeable perhaps more accurate that he is very slow, jogging pace almost when out of possession- not saying he has to charge around like crazy for the sake of it but he should be exerting more energy. V Millwall I was very disappointed with him 2nd half until he went off not least because of this issue, with the exception of one moment when he charged down their defender out wide to win us a throw in. Unremarkable, but like his take down and excellent cross-field ball v Sheff Wed in October a key reason these things stick in the mind for me is because these moments, these flashes- often they're so infrequent and sporadic from him!

Why would you want a player doing this who lacks the ability too? Last season City morphed through differing things out of possession and the team bombed. This season Famara has conserved energy and the team drops into shape, screens then presses as the ball enters zone, and the teams form has improved.

Jogging around pushed up sometimes occupying the CB and blocking off that passing option, and a team thus having a consistent shape can be a methodical and logical improvement.

He’s a great player with some great attributes, and a tidy goal record at this level. Opposition often pick him out as the player that worried them. He’ll start Tuesday and I reckon he’ll nick another goal against the Brummies. Made all the sweeter by the horseshit they pulled with him last year. 

Buzzing for Tuesday night, cannot come quick enough. 

6 hours ago, petehinton said:

IMO he is & I don’t know why some fans want to slate a player who gets battered by defences for 95 mins every game, scores important goals, and is pivotal to how we play. 

Slate him !  It's a FORUM for people to exchange views.  I have never really seen him slated. He does his best but I have the view, and that will remain, that we can , and should , do better than Fam. That is not slating him, that is my opinion.

I respect him as his effort is top drawer  and every time he pulls on the shirt I will support him and I hope he scores a few between now and the end of the season.

But I would also ask this.  I have been watching the club for donkey years and seen many a striker at the Gate.   Adebola, Goater, Akinbiya , Taylor, Harford, etc etc etc.  Where would I place FD in the list of City strikers I have been privileged to see ?  He would not make the top 10 ?    However that is my view and others may see  it  different.  I also accept things change in respect off the modern game compared to 15 or 20 years ago

On 17/02/2019 at 19:47, Davefevs said:

I haven’t seen enough of Norwich or Pukki to really know how they cope when they have to go a bit longer / direct, like we do sometimes (less so of late)

On 17/02/2019 at 20:54, Alex_BCFC said:

Pukki - you have to say that is a genius signing on a free and a real rarity. Just worked well but based on his time at Celtic it was a gamble. 

He needed a lot of convincing to come to the Championship because he perceived it as being a league where everybody plays long balls and he wouldn't get to play his natural game. 

The answer is that its very rare that we resort to pumping aimless balls into the box but when we do it usually involves bringing on Jordan Rhodes for the final 15 minutes. This can either be a sub for Pukki, or Pukki can drop behind to attacking midfield where he is decent. 

Not the only great bit of business from us though.... Christoph Zimmermann was a free transfer and had only played in the German 4th tier, now one of the first names on the team sheet, and Tom Trybull came for a one week trial as he'd not picked up a club the summer before last and ended up sticking around! Currently keeping Tettey out of the side. 

Stuart Webber our technical director is an expert in German football, he joined us from Huddersfield where he appointed Wagner and they also grabbed some bargains from Germany. 

Looking at our starting XI against you and I make the transfer fees paid for our starting XI to be less than £6m.... partly due to 4 free agents (Tim Krul the fourth) and two youth products (Aarons and Lewis).

Webber is a genius. We lost both Murphy twins, Maddison and Pritchard and somehow come out of that with a better squad by finding various gems from the continent and bringing through a few kids. 

Archived