IGNORED

Diedhiou

Spike

Thing that is becoming glaringly obvious to me is that Fammy looks so much better with someone alongside him.

he was utterly dreadful in the first half yesterday, but in the second half I thought he was arguably our best player. When he had Taylor alongside him he had someone who could feed off his flicked headers too, a luxury he does not get when playing up top on his own when he is desperately trying to hold the ball up and bring others into the game, and this can make him look clumsy.

really don’t understand why we go into a home game with just one striker.

that said how good are Adams and jutkiewicz, their movement and link up play last night was as good as I have seen in the championship this season.

1 hour ago, MC RISK77 said:

Thing that is becoming glaringly obvious to me is that Fammy looks so much better with someone alongside him.

he was utterly dreadful in the first half yesterday, but in the second half I thought he was arguably our best player. When he had Taylor alongside him he had someone who could feed off his flicked headers too, a luxury he does not get when playing up top on his own when he is desperately trying to hold the ball up and bring others into the game, and this can make him look clumsy.

that said how good are Adams and jutkiewicz, their movement and link up play last night was as good as I have seen in the championship this season.

We'd need to make a new blueprint.

We could play Diedhiou up front with someone, but risk conceding the midfield and exposing Pack. 3-5-2? Or a game plan more along the lines of Birmingham where we play Diedhiou and Taylor say, but put less emphasis on possession etc. No easy answers!

1 hour ago, MC RISK77 said:

Agree, but another striker isn't the only option, it's also about the midfield five being more mobile and getting up to give him support. We did that quite well on Saturday; he always had options, Pack behind him, ODowda, Weimann moving up quickly to support. He had none of that last night, just left totally isolated. There were a couple of times when he had to chase his own headers. No-one else did. 

I find so many similarities between Famara and The Chief ,

Both work their socks off ,

Both look ungainly and awkward,

Both aren’t quite the best at one thing or another , 

Both aren’t the tallest, fastest , most accurate finishers .

Both are largely ‘ unloved ‘ and underrated by the fans

and both quietly run up their goal tallies and score important goals .

I liked Allison as a player and I like Diedhiou as a player .

7 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I find so many similarities between Famara and The Chief ,

Both work their socks off ,

Both look ungainly and awkward,

Both aren’t quite the best at one thing or another , 

Both aren’t the tallest, fastest , most accurate finishers .

Both are largely ‘ unloved ‘ and underrated by the fans

and both quietly run up their goal tallies and score important goals .

I liked Allison as a player and I like Diedhiou as a player .

Last night he was poor imho.....this backs up 90 minutes “effort”....the little yellow line - the goal is about it!  That is a poor contribution in anyone’s book.

6AB2C09A-3B26-4219-A7B7-DB6E82E195E2.thumb.jpeg.5f523ac197199297ee0d793f53d6f1dc.jpeg

Can't help but love the guy for his effort, enthusiasm, passion etc...we all want him to do well.

However...imo...he just isn't up to scratch for a Promotion hunting Championship team.

He maybe in the future...but he's still work in progress imo.

Defenders grapple all over him... he's literally fighting with them, but also himself.

You look at his body shape and positioning... it's always off balance.

Even when no defender is on him and he has space, he struggles to control a ball because of his body shape and positioning to receive a ball.

He then often struggles to control a ball or make anything clean.

It really is like watching an octopus trying to control or win a ball at times.

Sounds harsh...but you can't have sentiment.

This squad would be definate top 6 if we had an upgrade on Famara.

I hope he proves me wrong quickly.

11 minutes ago, spudski said:

Can't help but love the guy for his effort, enthusiasm, passion etc...we all want him to do well.

However...imo...he just isn't up to scratch for a Promotion hunting Championship team.

He maybe in the future...but he's still work in progress imo.

Yep  I agree 100%.. he is loved as he beats his chest, bares his teeth and demonstrates and shows he's a warrior !  

I mentioned before Xmas that I would not be surprised if we tried an upgrade on FD in the last  window, never happened. He is hardly a youngster so I cannot see him getting a lot better.  Perhaps he would be better if not so isolated as the lone striker .  Look at those  front two for Brum  other night, that's a bench mark to set

6 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Guy scores goals and is our most threatening player...stick he gets is ridiculous

Sadly I think it was always be this way for some about him. He is a good championship striker - won't ever be anymore but to get us in to the play-offs its fine. Only issue is back-up.

37 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Not according to his goal stats. Close to 1 in 2 (205 mins per goal). If you look at all the strikers in this league he will be above average easily.

Bang average m8..... I'm not knocking goal stats but his movement, his touch and general awareness is abysmal.. Me nor you would have missed his last 3 and there through hard work of others not his... 0.0 against Brum he bounces 1 up North Street Bolton at home he misses 1, 2, and 3 in the 6yrd box, Rotherham he missed 3yrds out he certainly won't spearhead us into the play-offs. He's bang average. 

57 minutes ago, italian dave said:

@pnefcok - would be interested what you thought of Diedhiou today. Something of an enigma, he seems far more highly and consistently rated by opposing team's fans than by many of our own!

Think he has been more effective away from home too this season.  Commentators said he was a handful today.

1 minute ago, Allwaysred said:

Bang average m8..... I'm not knocking goal stats but his movement, his touch and general awareness is abysmal.. Me nor you would have missed his last 3 and there through hard work of others not his... 0.0 against Brum he bounces 1 up North Street Bolton at home he misses 1, 2, and 3 in the 6yrd box, Rotherham he missed 3yrds out he certainly won't spearhead us into the play-offs. He's bang average. 

He’s not though. He’s part of a team that has got us to 6th - playing up top on his own with little support at times. I don’t actually think he is suited to that but done a fine job anyway. 

So he misses chances - so what? All strikers do at this level. And it doesn’t matter how easy they were - he scored them. He’s also scored some difficult chances too (WBA away). 

His touch can be poor but like I said, he is doing a great job with no real backup. His movement is actually not too bad - scores quite a few goals for us where it’s been very good (Birmingham away for example).

23 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Agreed on this - shame for those who only see him at AG.

I've attended plenty of games and watched him home and away and if there was a replacement on the bench he'd either be hauled off after 60/70mins or get a 20min run out either way it will happen next year so he's not good enough.

3 minutes ago, Allwaysred said:

I've attended plenty of games and watched him home and away and if there was a replacement on the bench he'd either be hauled off after 60/70mins or get a 20min run out either way it will happen next year so he's not good enough.

But he is good enough - his goal record shows that and his efforts to get us in the top 6 show that. 

Our issue is back up not Fammy. 

1 hour ago, Allwaysred said:

You must be an impressive footballer if you would’ve scored the pen with the amount of pressure he was under and QPR players putting him off bu scuffing up the spot. He misses chances yes and some he should score but Abraham, Reid and Kodjia all missed loads of those chances and none of them were criticised apart from the possible exception of Kodjia. 

He was a little frustrating today though, right at the end we had a chance to break and he decided to run with the ball himself from his own half and just lost it.

he also had a chance second half edge of the box to lay inside to weimann, he chose to hold onto it then gave Kelly (I think? Could have been da Silva by then) a bad set which he couldn’t cross first time and the attack broke down.

2 hours ago, italian dave said:

@pnefcok - would be interested what you thought of Diedhiou today. Something of an enigma, he seems far more highly and consistently rated by opposing team's fans than by many of our own!

He's scored against us a couple of times and can be a handful physically. Ultimately strikers divide opinion the most, especially when they've cost a lot of money, but there's usually room for a big, physical striker who chips in with a few goals in any squad, despite their technical deficiencies.

1 hour ago, Allwaysred said:

You sound like a well reasoned happy go lucky type.........

I thought he put in a good shift today. His defending also helped us on corners where he was first there with his head on the ball. To me he looked more dangerous when Semenyo came on. It took a bit of pressure off him and he got more space. I also liked his encouragement to Semenyo every time he got the ball. It’s hard work leading the line on your own and his goal stats prove he’s not doing too bad!

2 hours ago, Allwaysred said:

his touch and general awareness is abysmal.. Me nor you would have missed his last 3 and there through hard work of others not his

I presume you meant wouldn’t have missed...

I don’t know how fit you are, but an average persons fitness is nowehere near a champ player. Not only would you have missed all of the chances he did, you wouldn’t have been in the penalty box to be in the position to take them, and likely receiving oxygen on the halfway line after 5 minutes. Ridiculous 

The one truth about Fam is he plays better away from home. Maybe it’s because the armchair moaners at home demotivate him......

Archived