IGNORED

Diedhiou

Spike

8 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

I’m not interested in others frontline - ours in the top 6. Matty Taylor does not score 1 in 2 at this level - Fammy does. Sorry the stats make your argument about him being poor look wrong. He’s also been the championship player who has won the most points I think (certainly for City anyway) - perhaps someone else has the info on how he compares with others in the league. 

According to the stats on BBC he scores a goal every 210 minutes. For comparison Pukki is every 116 mins, Sharp every 104 mins, Tammy every 117 mins Adams every 133 mins and Maupay every 138.  All have assists to their name as well to varying degrees which Fammy doesn’t. 

9 minutes ago, glen humphries said:

I’m being harsh on his goal record but the rest I stand by , do you think his ball control, movement, holding the ball up is good ?

He looked good last season tho didn’t he. This season we are playing different asking him to do different it’s like your all knocking the ferry of the Christmas tree. 

3 minutes ago, lenred said:

According to the stats on BBC he scores a goal every 210 minutes. For comparison Pukki is every 116 mins, Sharp every 104 mins, Tammy every 117 mins Adams every 133 mins and Maupay every 138.  All have assists to their name as well to varying degrees which Fammy doesn’t. 

And I don’t think I’ve ever said he is better than any of them. Just a good player - nothing more and certainly wouldn’t cut it any higher. 

14 minutes ago, petehinton said:

**** me. The guy holds the highest amount of game winning goals across all divisions. Some of these comments are truly embarrassing.

Did you think that after he made us beat Hull, Birmingham, Forest and QPR? Or after he put us one up against Stoke?

Do you not think he loses possession too often for a player at our level? I would suggest watching the Swansea game back in particular

3 minutes ago, mozo said:

Do you not think he loses possession too often for a player at our level? I would suggest watching the Swansea game back in particular

Potentially yes and his first touch isn’t great, but we need to remember who we are and where we are.

If we had a player of his height, and goal scoring record, with ‘better’ ball retention, hold up play, first touch and movement....we wouldn’t have him. The guy has a better goalscoring record than Kodjia. He’s played pretty much every minute since his ban was over and look where we are and look at the games he’s won us. 

Seems like people would rather Taylor starting games or something. Which would end in tears. Then we are crying for Fammy again. Rinse and repeat...

7 minutes ago, roddy-d said:

He looked good last season tho didn’t he. This season we are playing different asking him to do different it’s like your all knocking the ferry of the Christmas tree. 

Christ did you have scaffolding around you tree to hold that ferry?? Surely not covered by your house insurance?? And how on earth did you get it through the front door :laugh:..... he looked poor for day 1 and a player who is all about confidence. HT today we we're talking to an expro and played for City and in his words probably the worst striker he has seen in a city shirt for some time in his over all play and ability. 

Not a scapegoat but I be f!cke}d, what a donkey today.

As in previous games, he just cant mix it when he is up against a Prem defence. Not good enough IMO.

But well played lads, we took it to them 2nd half. Just needed a cutting edge up front. Blatant weakness in our current setup.

3 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

8 or 9 goals as the main striker in a top six team in February isn’t good enough ....

I think that’s pretty unfair and presumably written out of frustration at his performance today.

Given he missed the first six games and was then in and out of the team his record is - as it has been throughout his time with us - pretty good.

As @Alex_BCFC has said, he’s a decent Championship striker who’ll get a bit more than one in three throughout the season. That’s not a bad return and, to put it into context, the top scorer in the whole division last year got 21. He wouldn’t be far off that starting, say, 43 league games.

Just on today - Coady, Boly and Bennett are the seventh best collective defence in the country. They’re top quality, believe me, and I’m sure Diedhiou isn’t the first striker this season not to get a kick against them.

2 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

I think that’s pretty unfair and presumably written out of frustration at his performance today.

Given he missed the first six games and was then in and out of the team his record is - as it has been throughout his time with us - pretty good.

As @Alex_BCFC has said, he’s a decent Championship striker who’ll get a bit more than one in three throughout the season. That’s not a bad return and, to put it into context, the top scorer in the whole division last year got 21. He wouldn’t be far off that starting, say, 43 league games.

Just on today - Coady, Boly and Bennett are the seventh best collective defence in the country. They’re top quality, believe me, and I’m sure Diedhiou isn’t the first striker this season not to get a kick against them.

So over 90 + 5 at what point did he cause any problems??? None. MT on the other hand ran the channels held up play got behind the defence and was unlucky not to have scored.... FD over all game is poor and it's all about him if we play well and he's involved great if not head drops and can't be arsed his movement is abysmal and that's something every striker has.

If you watch the bit in the second half when Brownhill got to the byline and stood it up to the back post for Kalas, as Brownhill was about to cross, Fammy starts moving backwards when he should be attacking the 6 yard box.

OK, maybe he wants the cutback, though he is a bit too central for it, but as the ball loops over towards Kalas, surely now Fammy should be bombing forward into the 6 yard box?

Instead he just watches the ball and trots disinterestedly towards Kalas.

It really looks as if having to be the target man has left him mentally and physically shot, and then, when the ball is in the box and he can get his tap ins and his goals he is just not in the mood for it. How many times recently has the ball flashed across our 6 yard box recently and he has been 5 yards too far back?

It must have been heaven playing with Reid last season because Reid 

1. Harried defenders when out of possession.

2. Dropped deep for brilliant link up play when we had the ball.

3. Then magically appeared 3 yards out for the poacher's tap ins. 

This took so much pressure off Fammy. Perhaps we should play Taylor and Fammy up front, which worked against Stoke last season. 

27 minutes ago, roddy-d said:

You have strange Christmas decorations 

8 minutes ago, Boston Red said:

If you watch the bit in the second half when Brownhill got to the byline and stood it up to the back post for Kalas, as Brownhill was about to cross, Fammy starts moving backwards when he should be attacking the 6 yard box.

OK, maybe he wants the cutback, though he is a bit too central for it, but as the ball loops over towards Kalas, surely now Fammy should be bombing forward into the 6 yard box?

Instead he just watches the ball and trots disinterestedly towards Kalas.

It really looks as if having to be the target man has left him mentally and physically shot, and then, when the ball is in the box and he can get his tap ins and his goals he is just not in the mood for it. How many times recently has the ball flashed across our 6 yard box recently and he has been 5 yards too far back?

It must have been heaven playing with Reid last season because Reid 

1. Harried defenders when out of possession.

2. Dropped deep for brilliant link up play when we had the ball.

3. Then magically appeared 3 yards out for the poacher's tap ins. 

This took so much pressure off Fammy. Perhaps we should play Taylor and Fammy up front, which worked against Stoke last season. 

The  blokes just poor..... 

Millwall missed 3yrds out

Rotherham missed from 3yrds out 

Bolton missed 3 from 3yrds out

QPR missed 3yrds out 

As someone already has posted he misses more than he scores and is assists are 0 and that will be are problem. 

54 minutes ago, petehinton said:

**** me. The guy holds the highest amount of game winning goals across all divisions. Some of these comments are truly embarrassing.

Did you think that after he made us beat Hull, Birmingham, Forest and QPR? Or after he put us one up against Stoke?

Game winning goals, some impressive until you look at why the goals are "game winning", he scores a goal and the defence prevent the opposition from scoring. Game winning goals sounds great but when you've scored just 9 goals its clear to see that it's the defenses amazing performances that are making those goals "game winning" 

1 hour ago, Spike said:

Fair points, it still doesn't change my original opinion that he is not up to promotion standard. I never said that there was a better option in our squad from the players that we've seen, just that he was not up to the standard we require for a genuine promotion threat. If we get promoted it will not be off of the back of Fammy, it'll be the rest of the team putting in that extra work to cover the fact we only play with one striker and he's not prolific.

I know people are fed up of hearing it but with Assombalonga I think we could have really had the right to say we are a genuine promotion threat which brings me onto:

Robbored is correct, January is not the best time to sign a player, however, it is the time to make a statement or put your chips on the table if you want to make a serious promotion push. 
We've opted to go with our one and only striker to play that centre forward/lone striker role so it's fair to say that whilst he was certainly good enough as a supporting striker he may not be up to the task of being the lone striker, let alone the lone striker with no-one actively seeming to be his competition for his position.

We can dress it up however we like but right now we're in a strong league position but with some very tough games coming up and we only have one striker who's shown any ability to play that lone striker position hence the reason he continues to do so. We desperately needed someone to compete for that position or someone better suited to it allowing Fammy to step in as cover when the games were more suited to him, unlike today.

To put it in a simply we lack depth with Fammy as our only striker who plays that role, especially when he's not always up to the task in hand.

Mr Johnson has faith in him. The results are? Astounding. If it the team goes South it is not the players fault.  His deficiencies and attributes seasons in to his Bristol City career can come as no surprise.

Its a team game. He provides goals others cannot as frequently. We may not like the style now, the recruitment but its pretty mean spirited and uneven to suggest the player now and in future is not a significant part of its outcomes.

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

Would it not be even more successful if we had a more mobile player up front, one who is not so static and can make those movements across defenders ?

I think that is what a lot of people are asking.

The reality is the team was not with more mobile players at the Managers disposal. How more successful can the team be than WWWWWWWW..! 

12 minutes ago, Spike said:

Game winning goals, some impressive until you look at why the goals are "game winning", he scores a goal and the defence prevent the opposition from scoring. Game winning goals sounds great but when you've scored just 9 goals its clear to see that it's the defenses amazing performances that are making those goals "game winning" 

So...they aren’t impressive because our defence is better...?

If he didn’t score them those games would’ve ended 0-0, same principle. 

Bare in mind he missed the first 6(?) games of the season too. 

22 goals in 48 starts is half decent in my book. 

4 hours ago, glen humphries said:

Ball control poor , movement poor , goal record poor 

Agree with poor control.....he does pop up in places and play some good balls however...goal record....too much comparison to TA. He needs to find his killer instinct (which is usually at the end of a first good touch....see Shearer back in the day)

4 minutes ago, Between heaven and hell said:

Agree

Just ball control poor, physical presence poor and movement poor.

Sometimes true and sometimes not. He’s inconsistent with his play and frustrates. 

However what he contributes overall has helped us get in the top 6. Id love us to have a decent alternative or backup etc so he didn’t have to carry such a heavy load - but sadly we don’t. We did try in the window but at least we didn’t just bring in anyone - I’d rather no one than the wrong person. 

I think he receives a lot of unfair criticism. Shame we criticise a guy so much with such a good record in front of goal and has won us many points. 

54 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Potentially yes and his first touch isn’t great, but we need to remember who we are and where we are.

If we had a player of his height, and goal scoring record, with ‘better’ ball retention, hold up play, first touch and movement....we wouldn’t have him. The guy has a better goalscoring record than Kodjia. He’s played pretty much every minute since his ban was over and look where we are and look at the games he’s won us. 

Seems like people would rather Taylor starting games or something. Which would end in tears. Then we are crying for Fammy again. Rinse and repeat...

Good response Pete.

I think he's a good club for the bag, but he needs to retain possession better and we need a Billy Sharp type. 

On Fammy, I wonder if the issue is more in his mind than his ability.

4 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Mr Johnson has faith in him. The results are? Astounding. If it the team goes South it is not the players fault.  His deficiencies and attributes seasons in to his Bristol City career can come as no surprise.

Its a team game. He provides goals others cannot as frequently. We may not like the style now, the recruitment but its pretty mean spirited and uneven to suggest the player now and in future is not a significant part of its outcomes.

The reality is the team was not with more mobile players at the Managers disposal. How more successful can the team be than WWWWWWWW..! 

How do we know LJ has faith in him? Based on the rumours LJ was looking for a permanent striker signing, that's not the signs of having faith. 

Obviously he values Fammy because that's who he has and there is nothing he can do about that right now. 

It's easy to say WWWWWWW etc but the last result was an L and that's been the first task stand out challenge we've had in a long time. Our next game is away to Norwich who are top of the league with the top goalscorer. We also have some big matches coming up, we'll see how we do against those teams but it still doesn't change the fact that Diedhiou is not good enough for a promotion pushing team.

Should we get promoted I am very confident in saying we would bring in a striker who would be on the team sheet infront of him. I don't think the same could be said about the other top 5 teams leading strikers, I think they'd still be their starting strikers. 

2 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Sometimes true and sometimes not. He’s inconsistent with his play and frustrates. 

However what he contributes overall has helped us get in the top 6. Id love us to have a decent alternative or backup etc so he didn’t have to carry such a heavy load - but sadly we don’t. We did try in the window but at least we didn’t just bring in anyone - I’d rather no one than the wrong person. 

I think he receives a lot of unfair criticism. Shame we criticise a guy so much with such a good record in front of goal and has won us many points. 

I've never criticised his goal scoring record but Jesus Christ you have to agree some times his ball control if absolutely chomical 

1 minute ago, Spike said:

it still doesn't change the fact that Diedhiou is not good enough for a promotion pushing team.

Not a fact. 

A fact is that we made the top 5, until other teams played a game more, with him as a sole striker for us. 

Wherher it stays like that who knows? Personally I’d love to see him have support as he must be knackered playing that lonely role game in game out but clearly LJ couldn’t get the right deal done. 

3 minutes ago, Between heaven and hell said:

I've never criticised his goal scoring record but Jesus Christ you have to agree some times his ball control if absolutely chomical 

I do agree with that and have said he is inconsistent. Sometimes it sticks and other times it bounces off him. 

Archived