IGNORED

This team...

spudski

2 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

I don't always agree with Red- Robbo but on starting 2 upfront, I can see the logic, especially if Weimann is out.

The other things we learnt today is that Pack is the boss of our midfield, and we miss him when he's not there, plus the reason LJ starts Paterson ahead of Palmer is that Paterson tracks back more and pressurises the ball in a way Palmer doesn't.

To a point Doc, but today showed how Pack is so important. Paterson will not perform consistently and jury is out on Palmer ... who was all shop window and no graft today. It's sad to say but we will probably just fall short this season. In my opinion , that is. Nearly ...

8 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

We did go two up front - and made vastly more chances.

I have nothing particularly against starting a lone striker, but unless he's dead quick, defences will just neutralise him more often than not.

Ok, two up front can work.

That was like a 3-5-2 type formation, 4-4-2 as in old 4-4-2, not so much. 3-5-2 a good Plan B or in-game change IMO.

2 minutes ago, Pezo said:

I have a strange feeling that that role is just easier after someone has done a load of running around already.

You have a point.  I'm not joining the slate Kasey Palmer fest on the thread above because I don't think he had a worse game than anyone else particularly, in the first 45. But yeah, Patto's speed and unpredictability made him a bit of a 'mare for players who were tiring in the second half.

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

You have a point.  I'm not joining the slate Kasey Palmer fest on the thread above because I don't think he had a worse game than anyone else particularly, in the first 45. But yeah, Patto's speed and unpredictability made him a bit of a 'mare for players who were tiring in the second half.

Coming on as a sub with half an hour to go is always going to be easier, but today highlighted what Paterson does that Palmer doesn't I.e. chase back, hound the opposition midfielders etc. Palmer looks good going forward, but against the best teams that's not enough.

We have to have a better option in our youth than our current 9, plenty of passes his way but he can’t play football! It took him until the 76th minute to actually control and use the ball! Sorry but as whole we have better than that that don’t even make the bench!

No team championship or prem put their faith in an attacker that can’t play football! For the first time ever I was glad to see Pato on the field!

5 mill for a key player that will never perform! The only reason he starts is his price tag - we were better when he was banned, write him off and get some go back at the front

5 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Coming on as a sub with half an hour to go is always going to be easier, but today highlighted what Paterson does that Palmer doesn't I.e. chase back, hound the opposition midfielders etc. Palmer looks good going forward, but against the best teams that's not enough.

Palmer's our battering ram to take the ball up front. He wasn't great today, but got as close to scoring as anyone.

He is purely an attacking midfielder though. He's not fast enough to track back and defend. Patto is.

1 hour ago, Ivorguy said:

That is the flaw in the plan

As said before so many things have to come right in one season for us to go up before we sell, we return loanees  and start all over again. We know now from experience that if we are doing well up to January window the extra push needed won't be brought in, it will be up to the pre Xmas squad to get us over the line.

It is more wishful thinking and blind hope than a reasoned plan.

This season may prove to be such a season, but if not we shall start next season without  Kalas , DaSilva, Palmer and any we get a good offer for, or who want away, perhaps O'Dowda, Brownhill.

The flaw, in your flaw in the plan, is this season.

In the summer we lost 3 of our best players and according to critics, this was because of the club's lack of ambition. Those same critics predicted a struggle this season as a result of losing those players. This time last year, with those 3 players on board, our season was unravelling, whereas this year, despite having lost those 3 key players, we are on the up, having just gone toe to toe with a very good premier league team full of big money players and are challenging for there play offs.

The reality for a club like ours is that it is difficult to compete financially with many clubs in the championship. As a result our strategy is now is primarily to develop our academy players and to bring in young players. I've said before that many critics see this as an end in itself, saying  the club can buy players cheap with the sole aim of then selling them for a profit.

However,  the aim is to develop these  players so that they are good enough to improve the first team and first team squad, because that is a more affordable way of doing so, as opposed to spending big money for "proven" players. Of course, if the players develop well, as we want them to, and are good enough, they will attract interest from bigger clubs and not just if/when we miss out on promotion. 

As for the "push" we needed in January. Who knows the strikers we were looking at? Much was made of Assombalonga, but it sounds like Boro wouldn't let him go if they couldn't get in the player they wanted which is not about our lack of ambition or SL not being prepared to get his check book out. LJ also commented about other players we looked at but were not the right fit for the club and team - look at Kent last season for a player not fitting.

As for wishful thinking, I think that is the sort of way many described and decried the club's strategy ( 5 Pillars) but it is that very strategy that's seen us bring through and bring in Morrell, Kelly, Brownhill, O'dowda, Elliason, Webster, so if we lose one or two or some of them who is to say we cannot replace them as we replaced Flint with Webster - and that didn't turn out too badly, did it?

1 hour ago, The Original OTIB said:

To a point Doc, but today showed how Pack is so important. Paterson will not perform consistently and jury is out on Palmer ... who was all shop window and no graft today. It's sad to say but we will probably just fall short this season. In my opinion , that is. Nearly ...

Agree on Pack. With regard to just falling short, I think we will make the play offs,  but without a new striker we will do what you forecast. 

Ref Marlon Pack. I think we have all taken him a bit for granted but what a difference he made when he came on today.I have criticised him in the past for giving the ball away too often, but watching him 2nd half today I was reminded of how he runs the show from midfield, linking defence with attack as all good midfielders should do.

Final thought on him, he was Captain when Bailey Wright was on his long term injury but that went straight back to Bailey when he returned. 

I think that was a bit unfair on MP. 

18 minutes ago, The Red Planet said:

Agree on Pack. With regard to just falling short, I think we will make the play offs,  but without a new striker we will do what you forecast. 

Ref Marlon Pack. I think we have all taken him a bit for granted but what a difference he made when he came on today.I have criticised him in the past for giving the ball away too often, but watching him 2nd half today I was reminded of how he runs the show from midfield, linking defence with attack as all good midfielders should do.

Final thought on him, he was Captain when Bailey Wright was on his long term injury but that went straight back to Bailey when he returned. 

Thought he was really good when he came on today, and chasing the game a bit was given a bit more licence to roam from his “cage”.  Good to see.

Lots of pluses today.

23 minutes ago, The Red Planet said:

Indeed- can't believe (not by you) some of the flak he has received on here at times this season- great player.

Okay you have to play to his strengths a little, get that protection and extra man in often in a 4-1-4-1/4-3-3 or 3-5-2 but it's well worth it when you do.

Having had time to reflect on today’s game and the performance I can comfortably say that the second half display is some of the best football played this season and against a very good Wolves team who were hanging on. As a ST holder I usually sit in the SS but was in lower West today and got a different perspective on how good the movement and interplay was. This group of players look a very good and well drilled unit and have come on leaps and bounds since our promotion to the championship. 

I have every confidence that we are good enough to make the play offs then it’s anyones guess 

5 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Having had time to reflect on today’s game and the performance I can comfortably say that the second half display is some of the best football played this season and against a very good Wolves team who were hanging on. As a ST holder I usually sit in the SS but was in lower West today and got a different perspective on how good the movement and interplay was. This group of players look a very good and well drilled unit and have come on leaps and bounds since our promotion to the championship. 

I have every confidence that we are good enough to make the play offs then it’s anyones guess 

It’s good seeing the game from different positions, you get a different perspective and see very different movement and reasons for movement.

2 hours ago, Pezo said:

I have a strange feeling that that role is just easier after someone has done a load of running around already.

Agree with this it must be knackering role to play!

Pato is brilliant at stretching the play by playing all over the park and linking attacks from deep and far up the field.  I dont think we can judge palmer when he has only started cup games but think he needs to show more to his game to dislodge pato from the starting 11. 

Yep

Our ST's have us about half way up block E33 in the Dolman.

Today we sat in the Lansdown block W13 row 5 just to see what it was like over there. 

Much closer to the play, you hear the shouts from player to player and at that low level,  almost a player's eye view of the game.

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s good seeing the game from different positions, you get a different perspective and see very different movement and reasons for movement.

I go with four other friends and after today we are thinking about moving to the Lansdown next season.

Because of a) wider seats b) more legroom and c) a PA system you can actually hear. 

But they say the Lansdowm stand is full of oldies - no problem we are all well past 65 yrs old ! 

16 minutes ago, The Red Planet said:

Yep

Our ST's have us about half way up block E33 in the Dolman.

Today we sat in the Lansdown block W13 row 5 just to see what it was like over there. 

Much closer to the play, you hear the shouts from player to player and at that low level,  almost a player's eye view of the game.

I go with four other friends and after today we are thinking about moving to the Lansdown next season.

Because of a) wider seats b) more legroom and c) a PA system you can actually hear. 

But they say the Lansdowm stand is full of oldies - no problem we are all well past 65 yrs old ! 

I was with my 68 yr old Uncle and I’m 52 and we had to mind our Ps & Qs sat next to a couple of women but passion for the game took over and we let a few expletives out. Looking forward to going back to SS for next game as it’s a bit too sedentary for us

Archived