IGNORED

Free kicks...

spudski

...I've been trying to work out why we don't take advantage of them.

We get a free kick a good way inside the opponents half, and we choose to just play again, as if one hasn't been conceded.

Surely it's time to get players in and around the box and get one into the mix?

We do this at a corner...so why not at a free kick?

I can't see losing possession from a free kick cannot be defended the same as at a corner. What are we scared of?

Why aren't we getting the ball in the box with extra men in an offensive place?

Why do we choose to play sideways 5 yards and build play up?

I just can't understand the reasoning...especially when we'll play someone like Elliason who'll whip in balls to a box all day long, that has Famara only to aim at and three defenders and a keeper around him.

Still scratching my head on this 'tactic'.

Agreed. On one occasion today, Callum was fouled in front of the Lansdown, halfway into the attacking half and with eight Wolves players in front of him,  played the free kick backward to DaSilva thus our attack started with all eleven Wolves players behind the ball. I don't understand the logic.

On a separate point, we frequently play slow, ariel crossfield passes which take an age to reach their target and drives me mad!. Opponents have too long to intercept or regroup and serve only to slow down the pace of our attacks. The passing of Wolves was much slicker and firmly hit. I hope that we learn from the experience of playing them.

We still have little to complain about, in truth so these are only gripes.

4 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Agreed. On one occasion today, Callum was fouled in front of the Lansdown, halfway into the attacking half and with eight Wolves players in front of him,  played the free kick backward to DaSilva thus our attack started with all eleven Wolves players behind the ball. I don't understand the logic.

On a separate point, we frequently play slow, ariel crossfield passes which take an age to reach their target and drives me mad!. Opponents have too long to intercept or regroup and serve only to slow down the pace of our attacks. The passing of Wolves was much slicker and firmly hit. I hope that we learn from the experience of playing them.

We still have little to complain about, in truth so these are only gripes.

It really is such fine margins at this level, the  decision making is everything.

You get dispossessed and on the back foot so easily if you don't do the right things at the right time.

Even little things like throw ins. Why do some insist on throwing the ball in a way, so it takes the recipient an age to get the ball under control...allowing the defender to tackle or draw an error. Throw it at his feet...not to bounce up to his chest. So frustrating.

Same for free kicks...make the right decisions.

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

It really is such fine margins at this level, the  decision making is everything.

You get dispossessed and on the back foot so easily if you don't do the right things at the right time.

Even little things like throw ins. Why do some insist on throwing the ball in a way, so it takes the recipient an age to get the ball under control...allowing the defender to tackle or draw an error. Throw it at his feet...not to bounce up to his chest. So frustrating.

Same for free kicks...make the right decisions.

One of my biggest bug bearers. I was always taught feet & back. I cannot understand how anyone ( let alone a professional) cannot understand that simple concept. Along with a lazy bobbly pass, zip it into your teammate, have trust in their ability. It’s not like the pitches are not conducive to that. COYR 

We do waste free kick opportunities on the basis of playing a particular way. We even took one in the first half with 2 Wolves players no more than 3-4 yards away, so we played it backwards! 

I get the idea of having a playing style, but wasting free kicks is criminal. Plus someone needs to teach Callum O'Dowda how to cross a ball. With Wright at right back instead of Hunt, we are missing our best right footed crosser of the ball in open play, and today we were dependent on Brownhill to take up the task. 

2 hours ago, spudski said:

We get a free kick a good way inside the opponents half, and we choose to just play again, as if one hasn't been conceded.

I can't see losing possession from a free kick cannot be defended the same as at a corner. What are we scared of?

I just can't understand the reasoning...especially when we'll play someone like Elliason who'll whip in balls to a box all day long, that has Famara only to aim at and three defenders and a keeper around him.

In another threads you criticise crossing and want more play outside the box now you want it in the mixer!!!  

3 hours ago, spudski said:

I did wonder if it was because they were a big side, and Fam was winning very little. But as you say we did it from corners. Some of those quick free kicks really ended up putting us under pressure, when we had a chance to fill the box.

I would say that our free kicks in general are appalling, Pack and Paterson are particularly poor, ODowda and Brownhill are a little better, Eliasson is good but barely gets a chance to take one, Palmer looks good but of course needs to get picked to play.

Our free kicks generally lack invention, invariably go at least a yard over the bar or straight into the wall.

3 hours ago, Simon79 said:

One of my biggest bug bearers. I was always taught feet & back. I cannot understand how anyone ( let alone a professional) cannot understand that simple concept. Along with a lazy bobbly pass, zip it into your teammate, have trust in their ability. It’s not like the pitches are not conducive to that. COYR 

And what was referee Atkinson doing with that drop ball....he threw it so hard into the ground....why?

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

And what was referee Atkinson doing with that drop ball....he threw it so hard into the ground....why?

Why was it a drop ball? I’ve seen dozens of incidents like that, always given as a free kick for obstruction. 

Thought the ref had a good game tbf. mind you it was hardly a war out there! On the free kicks,  lots of teams recycle the ball short like that and it's part of our pattern of play now. I thought in that regard we matched them up. Also Fam was getting nothing from their cb's and he's not much use in the air anyway so little point in crossing in general play with only him in the area. One of our best crossers , eliason ,was rightly hooked at half time and odowda is a mixed bag at it so. ..

Archived