IGNORED

Plastics / Day trippers

David Brent

Thought I’d have a scroll of Twitter and read the positive reaction to today’s game...

Only to see a fair few amount of City fans complaining about ‘plastics’ and ‘day trippers’ and asking that they stay away from Ashton Gate in future. What a disappointing and depressing view. I loved the fact that we had almost 25K inside the ground, especially so for a televised game. 

If today was my first visit then I would absolutely be back again. We’ve made a lot of progress in the last couple of years and I’m proud that more and more people want to come and watch City.

Exactly. If we can’t showcase the team & stadium to potential new fans on such days as this when can we? Hopefully a few  of those ‘plastics’ who turned up today will have been sufficiently impressed to come and watch us grind out 1-0 wins on a freezing cold March night. 

18 minutes ago, David Brent said:

Thought I’d have a scroll of Twitter and read the positive reaction to today’s game...

Only to see a fair few amount of City fans complaining about ‘plastics’ and ‘day trippers’ and asking that they stay away from Ashton Gate in future. What a disappointing and depressing view. I loved the fact that we had almost 25K inside the ground, especially so for a televised game. 

If today was my first visit then I would absolutely be back again. We’ve made a lot of progress in the last couple of years and I’m proud that more and more people want to come and watch City.

Yeah bizarre innit.

Supporters of the future, why would we take that attitude?

21 minutes ago, Red DNA said:

Exactly. If we can’t showcase the team & stadium to potential new fans on such days as this when can we? Hopefully a few  of those ‘plastics’ who turned up today will have been sufficiently impressed to come and watch us grind out 1-0 wins on a freezing cold March night. 

Till they see the price of a ticket 

Had 5 rugger types in front of me that kept me amused all game.

Constantly complaining about how shite our support was...then said it was like watching footy in the film Cacoon ??

Then one started giving the last rights to a wolves player in Latin.

All bought shirts in club shop to wear over their Barbour shirts...

Put them on in seats.

Kept me amused all game ?

17 minutes ago, RedRobin96 said:

We were all plastics and day trippers at some point ?

This. We were all first timers many moons ago. I’ve never understood why City fans would ever tell potential new City fans to stay away, just as I can never understand why City fans tell other City fans to find something else to do on a match day. The more the merrier as far as I’m concerned.

Come on down newbies! 

46 minutes ago, David Brent said:

Completely agree , but to attract these fans back we have to seriously address our potd match prices !

It was 24,000 in today? 5000 more they Tuesday, but with approximately 2,800 more away fans? Surely there can’t of been that many day trippers or newbies in? 

Lets be honest, our crowds have grown substantially in the past 3-4 years. Also, if we are lucky enough to be a PL club come August, then we’d better expect a lot more “day trippers” to start visiting BS3.

9 minutes ago, BS15_RED said:

It was 24,000 in today? 5000 more they Tuesday, but with approximately 2,800 more away fans? Surely there can’t of been that many day trippers or newbies in? 

Lets be honest, our crowds have grown substantially in the past 3-4 years. Also, if we are lucky enough to be a PL club come August, then we’d better expect a lot more “day trippers” to start visiting BS3.

I think a few regulars would’ve given it a miss today too but yes wouldn’t have been many newbies.

Also, anyone that wanted a ticket would have been able to get one today. None of these newbies got tickets ahead of more hardcore fans.

I reckon it’s progress. This wouldn’t have happened a few years ago. 

6 minutes ago, BS15_RED said:

Yes, but for league games the announced attendances are somewhat inflated by the fact that season ticket numbers are automatically included when in reality not all season ticket holders turn up to every single game, especially midweek games like Tuesday's. Today all tickets had been specifically purchased, so the reported number is a bit more reliable as the actual attendance.

Also, as a season ticket holder in the lower Dolman, it was noticeable that quite a high number of the seats around me that are usually occupied by season ticket holders were filled by different people, so even if the number of attendees wasn't significantly higher, it may well be that new / first time attendees had to some extent replaced some more regular attendees in the numbers today. 

Archived