IGNORED

Plastics / Day trippers

David Brent

14 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

What was the attendance for Bolton in the last round..? Same price tickets. 

What was the attendance for the Huddersfield game..? Same priced tickets. 

I wouldn’t pay £35 a game, no. But I would if I was only attending a few games a season. I go to all/most games, so I buy a season ticket. 

I don’t really get your point. It sounds like you are just arguing for the sake of it. 

Oh No im not 

3 hours ago, Akira said:

But then, more money is given to football clubs for sponsorship, naming rights, TV money etc. With this extra money, why is it not then reflected on ticket prices. If we suddenly get a boost of let's say, £15 million quid. I'd like to see the ticket prices lowered by £10 for the whole season. You'd still have money left over from it! 

Fact is, football fans are one of the few 'customers' in the world where you don't get good customer service / value. Because its not like you'll shop around and find a better 'deal'. City is your club. You won't change it. So they know they can try and charge what they like. However, you might still fill the stands, which looks good on the bank balance, but when you realise that these fans are here for a day out, might not have the passion, the voice, the expression you need to help the team be the twelfth man... You can't have it all. How often have we heard the manager, whoever it is at the time, asking the fans get behind the team? A lot of those fans, who do get behind the team, have been priced out of the game! 

I earn £20k a year. With rent, food, fuel and other bills, it's no surprise I've had to look and choose what games I go to, as much as it pains me. Long gone are the days when I could afford an ST sadly. 

The club could afford to lower their prices. I don't buy the counter argument that they can't because of 'players wages'. 

i'll tell you why- I'm someone who would like cheaper ticket prices across the board in English football especially BTW.

In the PL I agree, but the problem is the wages at this level have started to spike ironically because of the PL and parachute payments and as for fees? Not so much, but Neves to Wolves for £13m, £15m was it would have been unheard of a few years ago.- absolutely unthinkable that fee at this level not so long ago.

Whereas TV money has definitely not risen at this level at anything like the same rate- let alone sponsorship and commercial, The fact that in 2016/17 I think it was or it could have been 2015/16, wages alone were 99% of turnover at this level says all you need to know- i.e. total wages and turnover across all 24 clubs in this division. Something surely has to give at Championship level at least?

That means that before any other football costs (academy, community, women's team etc) or transfer fees and how they are accounted for (amortisation) ore indeed standard running costs of the club- for every £1 generated in revenue, £0.99 went out in wages.

9 hours ago, shelts said:

Great to see different fans at the game yesterday. Lots of kids with mums and dads . Perfect . Not so keen on the getting up every ten minutes to go to the concourse, club must’ve made a fortune as they came back loaded with grub and and them prices !!!

Yes agree i sit in Dolman facking annoying to have to keep getting up evey five mins whilst trying to watch the game it was still going on twenty mins into the second half i said ffs if you want a coffee that bad why didnt you go to costas for the day 

I took along an 8 year old, day tripping, ‘liverpool fan’ as my youngest couldn’t make it.

By the end of the game it was amazing how many times he described City as ‘we’ as in ‘when will we equaluse’ ‘Who might we get in the next round’ ‘when are we playing again’.

I definitely won’t take him next time ?

Didn't we have like 3-4000 attendances for the early rounds of the EFL trophy in the late 90s early 00s? So that would make around 80% of the now normal match day goers "plastics". Unless you weren't born then, then MAYBE you get an excuse?

The stupid dick waving of I've been a fan longer and harder than you have is embarrassing.

My first game was Chris Garland's testimonial match in 1993. I was an 8 year old Manchester United fan and wanted to see my team play. That's how I began supporting Bristol City. People need to go and watch and become supporters. It won't take everyone, but for some, it's magic. Thousands of £s and 26 years, trips to the Millennium, both Wembleys, Carlisle, Kingstonian, Heybridge and Manchester City later I remember it started with a game where I didn't even come to watch City.

People telling newcomers that they're not welcome is hurting our clubs future. They need to remember that when they're claiming to be a supporter of the club.

My old mum is so plastic she thought the Wolves fans were singing ‘sheep, sheep, sheep shearers’ until I put her straight - but she had a great time in the Upper Lansdown and I’ll happily take her along for her next spot of glory hunting whenever that might be, assuming she’s still with us. If that upsets any super fans out there, you'll just have to suck it up. 

If we only allow super fans like you and me in the ground, we’ll be stuck with 6500 crowds like the dark days when some say that only those of us who ‘really cared’ about the club actually bothered to turn up . 

As Millwall are prone to chant: "Let 'em come, let 'em come....."

The more the merrier, the fuller our coffers and the greater the chance they'll become future regulars.

Apposite my first game was a massive attendance against Wolves that we lost 1 zip. I was turning 4 and thought it utterly thrilling. 53 years on I'm still going, so at what point did I stop being a 'plastic'?

On 18/02/2019 at 07:38, bris red said:

Christ there are some kn0bs on this forum. If you have a problem with lads who want to have a day out on the piss watching City what a sad *** you are.

You're either drinking beer in between watching football or you're watching football in between drinking beer. You obviously can't tell the difference, so please read the last part of my sentence again. The pillocks that fall in and can't be arsed to check where they're supposed to be sitting and think they have pack immunity because of alcohol are bad news we can do without.

5 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

The more the merrier, the fuller our coffers and the greater the chance they'll become future regulars.

Apposite my first game was a massive attendance against Wolves that we lost 1 zip. I was turning 4 and thought it utterly thrilling. 53 years on I'm still going, so at what point did I stop being a 'plastic'?

Peter Knowles scored before he went off to be a Jehova's Witness ? I was there too a very early game for me and over 36,000 in the ground that night if its the same match.

6 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Was it a couple of days after Christmas 1965 and the first game under the "four pylon lights" that replaced the first set from 1952? We lost 0-1, Danny Bartley made his debut. Atyeo's last season and 36,183.

We got a draw at Molineux the previous day. 32,526.

Wolves were the first opponents when we had the lights installed in 1953. 23,866.

I saw all of these and plenty more since and only a couple of wins for us. I don't like losing to them!

19 hours ago, bengalcub said:

I get it bs3 you can afford £35 for a ticket !!! , 

However my original point was potd prices are too high to attract some of the less frequent fans back ..

You disagree and believe £17 for a season ticket and more than double that for potd (£35) is acceptable thats your point ... i would say based on the attendance figures one of us is wrong pal ......

Attendance figures have been growing year-on-year for this club for a good while now. When was the last time we were averaging 20k+? Even in our 07/08 play off season there were plenty of games that didn’t sell out when capacity was 19k.

So if your argument is based on attendance figures then you’re not really winning that one I’m afraid.

That’s not to say £35 isn’t a lot; it is. In fact I would tend to agree that it is too much. But if we want this club to compete with rivals benefitting from parachute payments and paying substantially higher wages, then the club has to find the most profitable sweet-spot. The Swansea game had a 24k crowd at full price; the Leeds game is almost certain to sell out. That suggests purely in economic terms the club is getting it about right. An inconvenient truth.

One thing I would add is that family area prices are reasonable; £27 for me with membership, a fiver for my son (8). I can’t think of anything superior we could do for £32 combined.

There is a broader point about the price of modern football in general and players salaries. The economics stack up but the morals certainlt don’t. But I find it difficult to blame our club for that wider problem. If they don’t make the money to pay players the salaries that others will, then we simply can’t expect to see the continued movement of the club up the table.

5 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Was it a couple of days after Christmas 1965 and the first game under the "four pylon lights" that replaced the first set from 1952? We lost 0-1, Danny Bartley made his debut. Atyeo's last season and 36,183.

We got a draw at Molineux the previous day. 32,526.

Wolves were the first opponents when we had the lights installed in 1953. 23,866.

I saw all of these and plenty more since and only a couple of wins for us. I don't like losing to them!

That's the kidder.....

Lights, crowds and a yung 'un being taken to his first match by his Dad and Uncle who'd inhabited Crackers Corner since they themselves were kids.

Must be a plastic then ...

Archived