IGNORED

Plastics / Day trippers

David Brent

53 minutes ago, shelts said:

Great to see different fans at the game yesterday. Lots of kids with mums and dads . Perfect . Not so keen on the getting up every ten minutes to go to the concourse, club must’ve made a fortune as they came back loaded with grub and and them prices !!!

Was funny seeing one young girl / lady come back up the steps into the Lansdown with he coffee and phone, and literally have no idea where her seat was.  There were a few “gentlemen” offering her seats next to them, or perhaps even sharing their seat. ?

7 hours ago, Aipearcey said:

Get what you’re saying, but I’m not a fan on rugby so wouldn’t pay £30 for an occasional match, where as I would concider paying £15 like the Birmingham match next week

I agree with you, but to do that regularly would need a big rethink about our ST prices. People aren’t going to commit when they can get regular cheap tickets, at a price close to what having a ST brings. You would get more people picking and choosing I expect most people miss a couple of matches too, especially this season with all the changes. So unless we sell our ST’s so they come out quite a bit lower than the £15 you quote, it’s not going to happen. Certainly not going to happen whilst we are looking at playoffs is it.

35 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Was funny seeing one young girl / lady come back up the steps into the Lansdown with he coffee and phone, and literally have no idea where her seat was.  There were a few “gentlemen” offering her seats next to them, or perhaps even sharing their seat. ?

Heroes !!

20 hours ago, David Brent said:

Thought I’d have a scroll of Twitter and read the positive reaction to today’s game...

Only to see a fair few amount of City fans complaining about ‘plastics’ and ‘day trippers’ and asking that they stay away from Ashton Gate in future. What a disappointing and depressing view. I loved the fact that we had almost 25K inside the ground, especially so for a televised game. 

If today was my first visit then I would absolutely be back again. We’ve made a lot of progress in the last couple of years and I’m proud that more and more people want to come and watch City.

Sadly, you do get some ********* around. I've been once this season, mainly because of other commitments but partly because I'm not prepared or can't afford to spend that much on football. The game I went to cost me £33 as I'm not a member. Even if I had been, I'd have been looking at £28. It's a lot of money to watch second-tier football.

I was really surprised at the amount of newbies around us which in turn meant that we missed the regulars (quite a few of whom are in my group but lots and lots of others as well) whose seats had not been taken up for various reasons. Amazing how different the atmosphere was and how different the match experience was as a result. Look forward to it being back to ‘normal’ for the next League game but hope that many of the new attendees come back as well. Best of both worlds then!

15 hours ago, Up The City! said:

I think it was clear to see today that for whatever reason a lot of season ticket holders didn't attend. 

I had noticed, and the guy who was sat next to me was a breath of fresh air compared to the muppet who usually moans and groans if anyone in the row in front has the audacity to stand up!

19 hours ago, Akira said:

Totally agree. I'm not a newbie, but since moving away from Bristol, have to pick my games, so a ST is out of the question. POTD prices are just insane in my opinion. I cannot justify spending £35 on a ticket to watch football, when I then have to factor in the other costs (travel/food/drink). 

As a resident of south coast completely agree. It is unacceptable

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

to be honest, the last couple of times I've been to games I've gone to the wrong section in the SS. I really have to concentrate/take notice of the numbering but even then I seem to get lost. I haven't moved seats since the SS opened. :facepalm:

9 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

The highest attendances have been at games with the highest ticket prices, actually. 

You must be gutted that we had such a good crowd when the tickets were priced so reasonably, I know how much you try to justify some of the ridiculous prices we have had in the past and please please don’t start telling us about the price of going to the theatre as a comparison as you usually do

3 minutes ago, harrys said:

You must be gutted that we had such a good crowd when the tickets were priced so reasonably, I know how much you try to justify some of the ridiculous prices we have had in the past and please please don’t start telling us about the price of going to the theatre as a comparison as you usually do

Not gutted in the slightest. You think I wouldn’t like my tickets to be cheaper..?!

what I am is realistic about what’s needed to be charged to be sustainable (and we still aren’t!) 

I also don’t think you can ignore the fact of comparison against other leisure/entertainment tickets. 

Of course football isn’t cheap, but I don’t think it’s as scandalous as some like to make out. And I think that season tickets are pretty good value. 

8 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Not gutted in the slightest. You think I wouldn’t like my tickets to be cheaper..?!

what I am is realistic about what’s needed to be charged to be sustainable (and we still aren’t!) 

I also don’t think you can ignore the fact of comparison against other leisure/entertainment tickets. 

Of course football isn’t cheap, but I don’t think it’s as scandalous as some like to make out. And I think that season tickets are pretty good value

£35 to sit in the Dolman to watch us play in the second tier is scandalous. Please dont try and justify or defend the way modern football is ripping off the working man, it’s indefensible.

5 minutes ago, bris red said:

£35 to sit in the Dolman to watch us play in the second tier is scandalous. Please dont try and justify or defend the way modern football is ripping off the working man, it’s indefensible.

It is a lot, yes. That’s why I buy a season ticket. I think that £17 a game is perfectly reasonable, even though I do have to miss some games because of work or childcare. 

Anyone paying £35 is unlikely to be very regular, or they’d have membership (if not an ST), so for those who are only likely to go to a handful of games a season, it’s not that big a deal, like the (much higher) price of other occasional events. 

Think it’s pretty embarrassing to say we have ‘plastic fans’.  Ffs who’d choose City?  As embarrassing as the Barcelona of League 2 bollocks.  Daytrippers maybe but that’s a good thing, this holier than thou attitude some fans have is pretty grating.

10 hours ago, Icelandic Clap said:

I mentioned this to my brother after we played WBA a few years ago at The Hawthorns in the Cup. £10 a ticket and a full house, clubs should do it more often I said. All fair and well till he pointed out that when James Morrison earns 50k a week (at the time) then suddenly the income of 50k from (ticket sales at) a 25,000 attendance doesn't look so great....

Sad really as football should be an affordable pasttime but we all know why it isn't anymore. 

But then, more money is given to football clubs for sponsorship, naming rights, TV money etc. With this extra money, why is it not then reflected on ticket prices. If we suddenly get a boost of let's say, £15 million quid. I'd like to see the ticket prices lowered by £10 for the whole season. You'd still have money left over from it! 

Fact is, football fans are one of the few 'customers' in the world where you don't get good customer service / value. Because its not like you'll shop around and find a better 'deal'. City is your club. You won't change it. So they know they can try and charge what they like. However, you might still fill the stands, which looks good on the bank balance, but when you realise that these fans are here for a day out, might not have the passion, the voice, the expression you need to help the team be the twelfth man... You can't have it all. How often have we heard the manager, whoever it is at the time, asking the fans get behind the team? A lot of those fans, who do get behind the team, have been priced out of the game! 

I earn £20k a year. With rent, food, fuel and other bills, it's no surprise I've had to look and choose what games I go to, as much as it pains me. Long gone are the days when I could afford an ST sadly. 

The club could afford to lower their prices. I don't buy the counter argument that they can't because of 'players wages'. 

22 hours ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Really positive that City kept the prices low but still a great turnout for a shite kickoff time and a televised game.

My eldest has been going since he was 3 but in true teenage style still sneaks in a quick snooze before or during a game ?

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Of course football isn’t cheap, but I don’t think it’s as scandalous as some like to make out. And I think that season tickets are pretty good value. 

At no point was the value of a season ticket raised although for the record i agree i think there resonable for tgoose who can afford that kind of outlay , however  i was refering to the high potd prices .... but i guess that didnt work with your agenda whatever that is ....

15 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

At no point was the value of a season ticket raised although for the record i agree i think there resonable for tgoose who can afford that kind of outlay , however  i was refering to the high potd prices .... but i guess that didnt work with your agenda whatever that is ....

Do you know what an agenda is..? 

Against whom do you think I’m pushing an agenda, by simply saying that people who end up paying £35 a tickets are more than likely only attending no more than a handful of games, and then therefore at £35 it compares favourably, in price, to other occasional events..?

I get it bs3 you can afford £35 for a ticket !!! , 

However my original point was potd prices are too high to attract some of the less frequent fans back ..

You disagree and believe £17 for a season ticket and more than double that for potd (£35) is acceptable thats your point ... i would say based on the attendance figures one of us is wrong pal ......

9 hours ago, BigTone said:

Really can't understand the mentality of "Daytrippers and Plastic". Who cares when we have a 27,000 capacity stadium which still only attracted circa 24,000 people. If the "Daytrippers & Plastics" want to but a ticket, frequent the bars, buy food and maybe make a purchase in the club shop how is that a bad thing ? Surely we want our profile to increase to attract more people. If a few then become fans and buy a season ticket or just attend a few more games then that's great IMO.

I remember seeing City play against Liverpool (I seem to recall) at AG sometime in the early 70's and we had 34,000 turn up. How many have travelled to see us in some of the Tin Pot trophies at Wembley & Cardiff ?  40k plus ?  Playoff Final ? 40k plus ? Bristol has the population to attract a decent crowd but regrettably we've not had a team capable of huge success. Wouldn't it be great to beat our attendance record of 43,335 against PNE in the cup circa 1935 or would we get upset because we perceive 20,000 of them to be Plastics ?  Time to grow up and move on.

Um could I have a good looking woman on my lap and not some big hairy docker (sorry any dockers) ?

55 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

I get it bs3 you can afford £35 for a ticket !!! , 

However my original point was potd prices are too high to attract some of the less frequent fans back ..

You disagree and believe £17 for a season ticket and more than double that for potd (£35) is acceptable thats your point ... i would say based on the attendance figures one of us is wrong pal ......

What was the attendance for Bolton in the last round..? Same price tickets. 

What was the attendance for the Huddersfield game..? Same priced tickets. 

I wouldn’t pay £35 a game, no. But I would if I was only attending a few games a season. I go to all/most games, so I buy a season ticket. 

I don’t really get your point. It sounds like you are just arguing for the sake of it. 

It's the big games that draw in "day trippers" and "plastics" but without them it's less money for the club. There is also that possibility that some of them will enjoy it so much they'll go again, and again and before you know it they're there a lot more. 

It's such a small minded attitude to have to dismiss any kind of fan who has no negative impact on the club. 

Archived