IGNORED

So impressed yesterday

barneyrubble

Have rarely came away from watching sport and felt so good when watching my team lose.

The whole thing was a huge credit to city and those involved. The atmosphere was great , fair play to wolves for their turn out and the performance from the reds a pleasure to watch. OK the first half we werent  as good but this was more down to wolves keeping possession and stopping us build momentum. 

The second half was outstanding against a team of absolute giants who had recently turned over spurs at home.

I thought everyone gave it their all and could walk off at the end feeling gutted but proud.

It showed we have what it takes to compete at this level and against a less resolute team would of won comfortably. 

Massive test coming up next weekend at Norwich and how we react to losing this game could decide the rest of our season. If they show the same character they did today I fancy us getting something from the game.Either way very proud to be a city fan. So glad my dad didn't give me any choice!

59 minutes ago, Barney red said:

Have rarely came away from watching sport and felt so good when watching my team lose.

The whole thing was a huge credit to city and those involved. The atmosphere was great , fair play to wolves for their turn out and the performance from the reds a pleasure to watch. OK the first half we werent  as good but this was more down to wolves keeping possession and stopping us build momentum. 

The second half was outstanding against a team of absolute giants who had recently turned over spurs at home.

I thought everyone gave it their all and could walk off at the end feeling gutted but proud.

It showed we have what it takes to compete at this level and against a less resolute team would of won comfortably. 

Massive test coming up next weekend at Norwich and how we react to losing this game could decide the rest of our season. If they show the same character they did today I fancy us getting something from the game.Either way very proud to be a city fan. So glad my dad didn't give me any choice!

I couldn't make yesterday but lots of people seemed to think it was poor and the only noise was from the away end?

1 minute ago, Super said:

I couldn't make yesterday but lots of people seemed to think it was poor and the only noise was from the away end?

Quite subdued in the first half both on and off the pitch. In the second half we let them have it on the pitch and the atmosphere cranked up a couple of notches off the pitch. I certainly wouldn't describe the atmosphere as poor although I would agree I've heard Ashton noisier this season.

18 minutes ago, Super said:

15 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

Quite subdued in the first half both on and off the pitch. In the second half we let them have it on the pitch and the atmosphere cranked up a couple of notches off the pitch. I certainly wouldn't describe the atmosphere as poor although I would agree I've heard Ashton noisier this season.

Noise cranked up in the second half, even Henry Winter said so!

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/matt-doherty-and-conor-coady-add-to-wolves-rise-vtckzv363

33 minutes ago, Super said:

From the home crowd, I would describe it as similar to Tuesday.

First half was subdued, but got going second half when we were pressing. The second half wasn't as loud as Tuesday in my opinion, despite it being a bigger crowd.

Wolves fans obviously made more noise than QPR as there were thousands more of them.

Fair play to the Wolves fans 1st half, thought they were very loud with a good array of songs. They were a lot quieter 2nd half as we were all over them and our fans certainly cranked up the noise for the last 20. It's always that way at the Gate as 9 times out of 10 we are playing towards the SS 2nd half and this certainly lifts the atmosphere.

Second half was much much better from everyone the players and the crowd.

Sat in the lansdown for the first time which was an experience in itself ?

Great banter from the wolves fans and our ginger comrade playing along

I thought we done ourselves proud overall

Was also happy to walk away after a loss could of been smashed 3/4-0 but we didn't and I hope this confidence in the way we conducted ourselves will stand us in good stead for the run in.

You reds!!

What did I see yesterday?

An entertaining football match between two teams determined to win. A first half in which Wolves imposed themselves on us and scored to give them a platform to contain us in the second half.

We had a second half that kept Wolves penned in for periods, lots of pressure, but not too many shots/headers that really troubled them.

Difference between the two teams?

Wolves passing, especially in first half was much crisper than us. The pace and accuracy of passes, retaining possession in attacking third of pitch, are the things we must aim for if we are to become genuine candidates for promotion.

We've come a long way since we got to this level and is something that we should be proud of.

The next level is attainable but will be very hard to achieve.

All the squad did their best and I'd just like to single out Joe Morrell who is showing signs of becoming a very good player at this level.

2/3 seasons ago I suspect the atmosphere from the start would have been lively and the team would have gone at them, all guns blazing because we would have had nothing to lose. We would probably have been turned over easily.

I wonder whether at the start yesterday there was nervous tension because the crowd ( and suspect the players) knew we had a great chance of progressing and because of the way we have been playing recently. Did the team play within themselves in the first half because they were concentrating on not losing the game before half time and this caused the crowd to be a bit subdued as well?

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

All the squad did their best and I'd just like to single out Joe Morrell who is showing signs of becoming a very good player at this level.

Agree.  Bit hard on him to be sacrificed tactically at HT, which I am glad LJ acknowledged.

We really bossed the second half yesterday.   Wolves fans very complimentary on one of their forums.

https://www.molineuxmix.co.uk/index.php?threads/bristol-verdict.209852/

As per many matches recently, we were tentative in the first half & our midfield struggled to create anything. The City crowd didn't see much to cheer and as Wolves began to dominate we got quieter and quieter, especially after they scored. The second half was a different matter. As soon as Taylor & Pack appeared, the team looked galvanised and there was plenty to cheer. It's just a shame all our best chances fell to players that you wouldn't back to score.

Met a West Ham fan in the pub after the game who had been watching and was very complimentary about how we played, especially as he had seen Wolves beat & completely outplay West Ham a few weeks ago. That indicates how well we performed, and for once the performance probably was more important than the result, as we avoid more fixture congestion during the Championship run-in, plus continue to play like the second half for the rest season, we will make the playoffs. Just a few players could do with a bit more shooting & crossing practice....

2 hours ago, downendcity said:

2/3 seasons ago I suspect the atmosphere from the start would have been lively and the team would have gone at them, all guns blazing because we would have had nothing to lose. We would probably have been turned over easily.

I wonder whether at the start yesterday there was nervous tension because the crowd ( and suspect the players) knew we had a great chance of progressing and because of the way we have been playing recently. Did the team play within themselves in the first half because they were concentrating on not losing the game before half time and this caused the crowd to be a bit subdued as well?

Nail on head. Are we too cautious in first halves, especially at home?

I fully understand when away, take the sting out of opposition and crowd, but on our own patch, perhaps we should be holding a line that is ten yards nearer the half way line. I know that leaves us at the mercy of long passes over the top and into the space, a bit like Wolves did in first half, trying to hit Doherty and Jimenez. But how many Championship sides will be able to do it as accurately and at pace as Wolves do? Not too many. And remember this was an FA Cup tie not a league match in which many sides will come here to be very cautious for at least first twenty minutes.

Something for LJ to consider? We have come a long way in the last few months. A minor adjustment to first half tactics at home is now very much worth a try. Try to put the game out of reach early on rather than a chase to win it in the second half?

Archived