IGNORED

Something ive noticed

Banjo Island

I think we have to see how Matty would do:

1. if he starts instead of Fam in the 4141 where he is the one focal point
  2. if he starts alongside Fam in the diamond we tend to gonto when chasing a goal

Will be interesting to see his impact from the start.

On the all too brief minutes we’ve seen them start together (Palace and Stoke last season, Reading this season), they look like they could be a decent partnership.  I missed the other occasion v Wednesday.  What were they like that game?

He deserves a start, however I expect he won’t unless it’s forced upon LJ. Why change a winning team ?

I also wonder if his energy when coming on with 20 mins to go is his biggest asset - particularly playing against defenders that are getting tired. Plenty of players have done well as impact subs - maybe MT is one of those

It's an interesting one this.

Another thread is full of criticism for Famara's lack of goals, despite his record being almost 1 in 2 for us. Taylor joined us because of his scoring record at Rovers, but has failed to fire i front of goal since he's been here, despite the impact he does seem to make when he is on the pitch.

Replace FD with Taylor and we look better but do we lose FD's goals and not replace them? 

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

2. if he starts alongside Fam in the diamond we tend to gonto when chasing a goal

Will be interesting to see his impact from the start.

On the all too brief minutes we’ve seen them start together (Palace and Stoke last season, Reading this season), they look like they could be a decent partnership.  I missed the other occasion v Wednesday.  What were they like that game?

In what formation did Matt get his goals for the gas? Anyone know?

Did he lead the line alone, or have a strike partner?

17 minutes ago, downendcity said:

It's an interesting one this.

Another thread is full of criticism for Famara's lack of goals, despite his record being almost 1 in 2 for us. Taylor joined us because of his scoring record at Rovers, but has failed to fire i front of goal since he's been here, despite the impact he does seem to make when he is on the pitch.

Replace FD with Taylor and we look better but do we lose FD's goals and not replace them? 

I don’t think the criticism of fam is his goals (although hardly prolific) its his first touch , or lack of and his reactiveness rather than  proactiveness in reading the game. Never seems to get across his defender or awareness of othe players runs etc. Taylor's movement is excellent . He pulls defenders out of position creating space for others . Personally I’d like to see him start with wiemann , when fit of course although I’m not sure what formation would suit them best . Could we play 433 perhaps ? With a fluid front 3 of wiemann, Taylor , Palmer/pato. 

Would love to see Taylor given a run of 3 games with this midfield and attack:

Brownhill Pack Pato

Weimann. Taylor. Elliason/COD

Either it would work really well with lots of clever interplay or we would realise everyone plays better with a physical Fam presence.

Maybe not the time to try things though considering our league position 

• Admin

Watch us away from home. For some reason Fam seems to perform that lone striker role better away than he does at Ashton Gate and the ball often sticks when they clear it to him. Opposition fans consistently comment on his qualities and having this outlet definitely contributes to our defensive record, as does his ability to defend corners. Without checking it also feels like he has a better goal ratio away too? 

1 hour ago, Ian M said:

Watch us away from home. For some reason Fam seems to perform that lone striker role better away than he does at Ashton Gate and the ball often sticks when they clear it to him. Opposition fans consistently comment on his qualities and having this outlet definitely contributes to our defensive record, as does his ability to defend corners. Without checking it also feels like he has a better goal ratio away too? 

I'd start Fam away and Taylor at home. The latter, Fam on for last 25 when opposition tiring.

He has an impact however his disire to get the ball leaves his positional play all over the place , twice yesterday he dropped into leftback to pick the ball up a superb attribute and great drive, however if hes uptop on his own or we have palmer/pato playing in tge hole , he simply can not start .

1 minute ago, bengalcub said:

He has an impact however his disire to get the ball leaves his positional play all over the place , twice yesterday he dropped into leftback to pick the ball up a superb attribute and great drive, however if hes uptop on his own or we have palmer/pato playing in tge hole , he simply can not start .

That is the discipline that Fam is playing under and why when Matty comes on he is free to go wherever he wants.  It’s all a balance.

LJ needs to be sure that his team are playing well enough and confidently enough and that whoever plays no9 on their own is immaterial.

Interesting listening to the OSIB podcast that Semenyo was seen (spied!!) getting 3:1 coaching on receiving the ball back to goal under pressure from one of the coaches holding one of those rugby padded things.

I’ve been impressed with Taylor this season, and the odd flashes last season changed my mind that he wasn’t good enough.  I actually think his injuries after Xmas last season were a contributory factor to us losing games, e.g. couldn’t bring him on last 25-30 minutes to spark energy.

i do worry about his injury record...I wonder whether his late start in professional football means his body is pushed to his limits to attain the levels of fitness required at this level.....I don’t think he knows how to play at 80%.

I too think that he needs a run to really prove himself (or not) but we need a system to fit him to do that.

The problem is who do you drop for Taylor. I am a big fan of the bloke, but LJ has found a winning formula that puts Taylor on at 60.

If you start Taylor how do you set up? There has been a big surge in people to start Palmer as well. They cant all start....

One of our tactical geniuses or coach's how would you do it?

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Will be interesting to see his impact from the start

I  try and work out why LJ doesn’t start him that often. What’s his reasoning in why not and using Matty as an impact sub? 

We could ponder all day but not reach a conclusion. We’d need to ask LJ himself.

Its a guess but when does come on he certainly makes a difference with his  mobility and movement but maybe Taylor hasn’t  recovered 100% from his hip flexor injury and not able to play a full game as yet..........

And.....if he did start who would LJ have on the bench to make a similar impact with Taylor on the pitch?

Its all conjecture on my part of course but like pretty much every other City fan I’d like to know why LJ uses MT as he does.

19 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

The problem is who do you drop for Taylor. I am a big fan of the bloke, but LJ has found a winning formula that puts Taylor on at 60.

If you start Taylor how do you set up? There has been a big surge in people to start Palmer as well. They cant all start....

One of our tactical geniuses or coach's how would you do it?

Play 13 ?

I like Matty Taylor - a great asset. But we must remember he is normally playing against opposition with 70 mins+ under their belts. That's why subs often have such an impact. 

Starting a game means he's playing against fresh players or, come 70mins, he's tired himself. 

I'd prefer to use him as a sub and just vary the point at which we introduce him. 

22 hours ago, Davefevs said:

That is the discipline that Fam is playing under and why when Matty comes on he is free to go wherever he wants.  It’s all a balance.

LJ needs to be sure that his team are playing well enough and confidently enough and that whoever plays no9 on their own is immaterial.

Interesting listening to the OSIB podcast that Semenyo was seen (spied!!) getting 3:1 coaching on receiving the ball back to goal under pressure from one of the coaches holding one of those rugby padded things.

Bloody Leeds again ? 

Archived