IGNORED

Leeds fined 200k for spygate (Merged)

MC RISK77

2 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

No points deduction though. That's the only thing that really impacts on bigger clubs who see no issue with trampling over their rivals.

Did they really trample all over their rivals though...anyone from the public could have watched that training session 

1 minute ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Could be good valve for Leeds if it helped getting a point or 2 extra, could make all the difference in a tight league

Agreed. Monetary penalties are a nonsense at this level. Punishments should be by way of points deductions or transfer embargo’s. Otherwise there’s no real deterrent. 

Not that I think Leeds deserve either, in this instance. 

35 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

No points deduction though. That's the only thing that really impacts on bigger clubs who see no issue with trampling over their rivals.

If points had been deducted, Leeds would have spent £200k on a legal team who'd have successfully appealed the EFL's punishment.

Remember Spurs getting a 24 point deduction? Alan Sugar took the League to court and had 12 points restored. he appealed again and got the other 12 back. Punishments tend to be in reverse severity to a team's position. In the sixties P'boro' had financial irregularities and were told, regardless of their final position, they would be relegated to the fourth division at the season's end. 

Well it will be more clear in the future as there is a new rule around it:

"In addition, Leeds United has agreed to support a new EFL Regulation that make it clear that Clubs will be expressly prohibited from viewing opposition training in the 72 hours immediately prior to a fixture, unless invited to do so."

13 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

So for all those who said SL should wind his neck in- it appears that the EFL agreed 100%.

Steve Lansdown: not really embarassing after all- just a top English owner making sense in a football world that doesn't .

Where’s the rule, still can’t find it?

edit:

Just checked and there wasn’t one, I’d be pretty pissed off if I were Leeds.

I’m inclined to agree with the couple of posters above who think this is harsh. No rules were broken, so, to be given a relatively hefty fine (compared to the paltry ones given out for things such as ‘failing to control players’ etc) seems wrong. What Leeds did is definitely not ‘in the spirit of the game’ but they haven’t broken any rules. Not sure why the EFL buckled under pressure....

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I’m inclined to agree with the couple of posters above who think this is harsh. No rules were broken, so, to be given a relatively hefty fine (compared to the paltry ones given out for things such as ‘failing to control players’ etc) seems wrong. What Leeds did is definitely not ‘in the spirit of the game’ but they haven’t broken any rules. Not sure why the EFL buckled under pressure....

Wonder if SL would be so happy to apply retrospective taxation to Guernsey?  All perfectly legal but is it ‘in the spirit of the game’ as it were?

Stones and glass houses spring to mind.

4 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

That’s probably the rule they broke.

20 minutes ago, RumRed said:

edit:

So why not phone the club up and ask to watch the training session, instead of hiding in bushes in a behind closed doors session?

Some things you just don't do...unwritten laws etc.

Same as spitting on an opponent in my book.

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

So why not phone the club up and ask to watch the training session, instead of hiding in bushes in a behind closed doors session?

Some things you just don't do...unwritten laws etc.

Same as spitting on an opponent in my book.

It’s wrong I agree but spitting is an offence, what Leeds did is not.  Punishment through retrospective rule changes is a bad precedent imo.  Use it as an example to change the rules in future.

Should anyone who smoked in a pub prior to the ban be fined for their previous offences?

22 minutes ago, RumRed said:

edit:

Just because there isn't a rule/law doesn't make something right. 

I'm no lawyer, but I think I'm right in saying that in the legal system there is  law and equity. My understanding is that equity is where  a law doesn't exist but where something is not right or fair. This seems such a situation.

4 minutes ago, spudski said:

You know what I mean...hiding in bushes...think about it.

Sorry edited my post as you responded, I don’t see how hiding in a bush is a thing, maybe I would like to be judged on my actions under the law when said actions occurred.

6 minutes ago, RumRed said:
2 minutes ago, RumRed said:

Sorry edited my post as you responded, I don’t see how hiding in a bush is a thing, maybe I would like to be judged on my actions under the law when said actions occurred.

A bit like sitting in a tree watching your fit neighbour stripping off...no law against it, but you just don't do it...

Some things you just don't do in life, regardless of laws 

It's morals.

Can imagine your response about 'laws' when fit neighbours husband lumps you one.

Now do you get it?

7 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Just because there isn't a rule/law doesn't make something right. 

I'm no lawyer, but I think I'm right in saying that in the legal system there is  law and equity. My understanding is that equity is where  a law doesn't exist but where something is not right or fair. This seems such a situation.

I don't think many are saying what they done is "right". But I bet the 200k fine was already agreed by Leeds and the EFL so they wouldn't appeal before the story being released. If the fine was millions or points deducted Leeds would take them to court and imo would win the case in no time at all, due to the simple fact they haven't broken a single rule.

1 minute ago, spudski said:

A bit like sitting in a tree watching your fit neighbour stripping off...no law against it, but you just don't do it...

It's morals.

Can imagine your response about 'laws' when fit neighbours husband lumps you one.

Now do you get it?

I do but I was responding specifically to @Marina's Rolls Royce complaining SL shouldn’t have to wind his neck in.

The hypocrisy of ‘playing fair!’ is laughable.

BTW there is a law not to spy on your neighbour’s wife whilst sat in a tree, there isn't about watching a football training session.

4 minutes ago, spudski said:

It's morals.

Now do you get it?

So if there is no law then you wouldn't get fined for it then? 

That's my point, they have made it up as they go along due some uproar from the public.

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That’s probably the rule they broke.

‘Doing something that isn’t in the spirit of the game’ - is that a genuine rule?! How can that be applied? And if it is, it would apply to a zillion other ‘non offences’ - eg players skipping yards down the touchline every single time they take a throw-in - there would be fines for every club, every week....

Archived