IGNORED

Honda closure to hit Swindon town?

Judda

It's not just ( just?  3500 job losses is horrendous enough) but basically they assemble cars and maybe press (some of) the steel panels.......every part they assemble is designed by them but manufactured by companies all over Britain and Europe........there's thousands of jobs depending on supplying Honda.  I used to be a procurement manager for a manufacturing co (not Honda) but almost every company I dealt with ( Inc. in Ireland, Yorkshire, Lancs, London Wales Belgium Netherlands Etc etc had Honda as a major customer.

This is huge.

Our politicians (both sides) have completely ****** us.

46 minutes ago, Judda said:

Innit. I bet half the people who are affected voted for brexit too...

wondered when somebody would blame Brexit, if you did your homework you would find all motor manufacturers worldwide are having a hard time, it's more to do with diesel engines not being popular and the general slowdown in the world economy. Brexit is probably a tiny proportion if at all, sorry but Brexit seems to get the blame for everything right now it's just lazy to blame it do your homework before spouting nonsense. If it was Brexit why is the factory not closing till 2022, Brexit might by that time be a roaring success, how do Honda and other companies know how things will turn out, it's not Brexit that's the problem it's the uncertainty caused by the inept way our exit is being negotiated.

4 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Just a wheeze to get the government to cough up more money.  If they do, I'm sure it will stay open.

I worked at Honda for 2 years. My brother has worked there for 25 plus years. A lot of people that work there live miles away.

I think you will find that Honda was one of the only car makers NOT to take payments off of the govt. My brother has been worried about his job for years. Nothing to do with brexit. Honda sales have been dwindling for years. Also Honda have just invested a fortune in developing a new generation of Diesel engine (300 million I believe) only for nobody to want it. They are also shutting the other factory in Turkey. 

If people bought British made products maybe this wouldn’t happen. 

5 hours ago, reddoh said:

I just want to point out that " we are consulting with our employees" is absolutely bollocks they are made redundant having been through the process three or four times (consultation) means you are gone. 

It’s actually quite literally what it means, before redundancy the employer must hold consultation meetings with employees. 

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

It’s actually quite literally what it means, before redundancy the employer must hold consultation meetings with employees. 

I went through one, not redundancy, and in the open meeting the question was asked whether objections would mean any changes.

The answer was that they would be recorded but no, the decision was made.

The only benefit I could see for workers from such consultation periods is that it means a delay in the implementation of the decision; which is a genuine benefit but much less benefit than people expect from a consultation process.

6 hours ago, Judda said:

I don't believe that. 

Honda car sales have been plunging for years.there car technology has stayed still.the car styles have not changed.the workforce has been shrinking year on year .like I said on another thread it’s not brexit ,it’s the Chinese economy going bust and the world is going to take a massive hit

55 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I went through one, not redundancy, and in the open meeting the question was asked whether objections would mean any changes.

The answer was that they would be recorded but no, the decision was made.

The only benefit I could see for workers from such consultation periods is that it means a delay in the implementation of the decision; which is a genuine benefit but much less benefit than people expect from a consultation process.

Oh I agree it’s pretty much a tick box exercise to comply with employee law in most cases but it is literally called consultation so to say they are consulting with employees is technically the correct term

The loss of 3,500 jobs at the Honda factory and a potential 6,000 jobs in the supply chain is not even slightly funny.

It's s disaster for the area and will put families in financial trouble. 

Not time for a blame game but just imagine yourself in a position where you've been told your being made redundant.

The only saving grace is they've got some notice to try and find something else.

Archived