IGNORED

Matt Smith v West Brom Matchday Thread

elhombrecito

Catching the top four would require us to have such good form between now and the end of the season that it has to be seen as possible but unlikely. 

I think we have to be realistic about the form that has got us here so far. The players are doing a great job, but the victories have been marginal and goalscoring likely to be our Achilles heel. 

I see it much more as a battle between us, Boro and Derby.

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Can’t believe how quickly people write off further changes in the top 4. We were 19 points behind Leeds on Boxing Day and that was closer to now than the end of the season is. 

An awful lot of football to be played yet. 

I can see this going to the final day of the season 

4 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Can’t believe how quickly people write off further changes in the top 4. We were 19 points behind Leeds on Boxing Day and that was closer to now than the end of the season is. 

An awful lot of football to be played yet. 

You are right in as much as it's perfectly conceivable that one of the current top 4 might fall away - Leeds looking most likely for me. However, it's highly likely the top 2 will come from the current top 4, as it would need  3 of those 4 to suffer a bad run of results to allow the likes of us, Boro or Derby to reach the top 2. 

So those saying our battle is to finish in a play-off spot have it right, if you honestly think we can make top two then get a bet on as you can get 22-1 on that atm.

2 hours ago, old_eastender said:

You are right in as much as it's perfectly conceivable that one of the current top 4 might fall away - Leeds looking most likely for me. However, it's highly likely the top 2 will come from the current top 4, as it would need  3 of those 4 to suffer a bad run of results to allow the likes of us, Boro or Derby to reach the top 2. 

So those saying our battle is to finish in a play-off spot have it right, if you honestly think we can make top two then get a bet on as you can get 22-1 on that atm.

That’s not what I said. But I certainly wouldn’t be so bold as to say ‘top 4 is already decided’, this league is mad! 

To make top 2 you need 87 points roughly? That is 34 from last 15.

We have had an incredible run of form to get us here but mostly reliant on tight 1 goal wins. That won't continue indefinitely being realistic.

Getting to 75/76 - so 22/23 points from 15 is within our grasp if we can like we have been. Will be an exciting end I think. My gut feeling is we finish 7th but who knows?

13 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

That’s not what I said. But I certainly wouldn’t be so bold as to say ‘top 4 is already decided’, this league is mad! 

West brom v Sheff U is a good fixture for us on Saturday. Looking at the table maybe I was a bit hasty in fairness.

Archived