IGNORED

COD

ciderwithtommy

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

That was a follow on to my previous point.  If he is worth £5m with one year left on contract then he must be worth a lot more if he had a longer contract.

Problem is we all see COD a lot more than we see other players.  Is James much better than COD for example?  No idea.  A lot of fans see a player once or twice and form an opinion.  If you watched COD against Villa (i.e. one game) you would think he was worth nowhere near these numbers. 

I guess what I am trying to say is his value id different to what we see. It doesn’t matter of he was awful against a few teams or spectacular against others. The things driving his value are 90% what we can all see.

Many good performances for Ireland. Lots of high praise from his managers. A good work ethic. Producing goals and assists for a good rate for a wide player. Decent set piece taker. A regular for a top 6 side in the championship. Still young and room to grow. 

Feel these things drive his value up moreso than he blows hot and cold. Of course when scouts get to the meat of it they will give their opinions but from a BCFC view of it the former will be a huge driving factor into any fee. 

Hopefully he's just a bit more of a slow burner in terms of season on season development. He's got all the tools he needs to succeed and is probably one of LJ's "good students" but i'd like to see more 7 and 8 performances on a weekly basis than 6s.

If he went this summer for a few mil and a sell on %, i don't think it would be a huge loss right now but there is certainly more untapped potential.

3 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I guess what I am trying to say is his value id different to what we see. It doesn’t matter of he was awful against a few teams or spectacular against others. The things driving his value are 90% what we can all see.

Many good performances for Ireland. Lots of high praise from his managers. A good work ethic. Producing goals and assists for a good rate for a wide player. Decent set piece taker. A regular for a top 6 side in the championship. Still young and room to grow. 

Feel these things drive his value up moreso than he blows hot and cold. Of course when scouts get to the meat of it they will give their opinions but from a BCFC view of it the former will be a huge driving factor into any fee. 

Re bold. It does matter, because he will have been scouted several times by prospective suitors and they will note if he’s inconsistent.  Perceived ceiling value will be driven down. 

As they say, never buy a player just because he plays well against you. 

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Re bold. It does matter, because he will have been scouted several times by prospective suitors and they will note if he’s inconsistent.  Perceived ceiling value will be driven down. 

As they say, never buy a player just because he plays well against you. 

I’d argue that most players in the championship are inconsistent. That is why they are not premier league players as that is where the real gulf in class lies with consistency. Every player a scout sees 10 times will have a few bad a few good  mixed in.

Think scouts will see what he can bring when he is at his best. Why? Because COD is a worker so even when his final ball isn’t going you are not down to 10 men as with other attacking players. COD isn’t as hot and cold as some make out. He rarely has 4-5/10 in a match. Not my favourite player but you can see why LJ and Martin O’Neil rave about him. 

15 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I believe many managers would love to have COD. He's a fantastic team player, very versatile and works his socks off. And very dangerous in a counter attacking side. I guess it depends who are interested. Wouldn't surprise me if a lower prem club were to be interested and put in a big offer. I'd be surprised if we only got 5 for him.

Agree with this. Callum is arguably one of the hardest working players (pipped by Brownhill IMO). He frustrates me at times but his defensive attributes are immense. I have no doubt he will go in the summer for in the region of 8-10 million

42 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Still can’t believe nobody actually checked!!!  How many caps did he get?

But he didn't know himself did he? I am sure in his book it wasn't until his career had finished that he found out that his biological mother was adopted so he wasn't related by blood at all..

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

But he didn't know himself did he? I am sure in his book it wasn't until his career had finished that he found out that his biological father wasn't who he had been told it was all his life.

Didn’t know that. Assumed he’d blagged it!!

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Didn’t know that. Assumed he’d blagged it!!

Actually Dave, have corrected that but the premise is still the same. I think personally that the true story means he was eligible for Ireland, just because his mum was adopted, doesn't mean she wasn't subject to the Irish rules.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

You saved me a lot of typing RD. 

That scruff of the neck comment is bang on imho. 

Top players are the difference...the ones that do something to raise an average team performance. For me COD flits in and out too much. 

Dont get me wrong, he has played well in this good run, and showed (greater) potential than his good run prior to injury last season. He is starting to add more end product, but still got plenty of room to improve. 

@Kevin Brady out of interest are you friendly with COD or just a huge fan?  Is Brady an Irish connection with him? I’ve noticed you singing his praises a lot?

At last Fevs admits COD adds value !!

1 hour ago, BessexRED said:

Why, what's he said?

Ran an article yesterday saying it’s unlikely to be resolved until the summer, and may be prem bound. I noticed he ran a little negative story re Johnson a few weeks ago around the Semenyo recall, I wonder if the club are hanging him out a bit, of COD has signed a new contract maybe they have misled him a bit

2 hours ago, RedDave said:

Over the whole season he has been exceptional?  Disagree.  Think he has been exceptional in patches on our excellent run of results.  I don't think he has turned in the performances of a roughly £8-9m player which he would need to be for us to get £5m for him this summer.  

Has he grabbed many games by the scruff of the neck and won it for us?  Not many.  I loved COD more than most as I know he is young but, for me, he has a fair bit to go to be the prices we are talking here.  Still too inconsistent.  

Agree wholeheartedly with this. I would put several players well above COD in terms of their performances this season. If what COD has given us is ‘exceptional’ then we have low sights. 

I think he’s got bags of potential and can be exceptional on his day, but has a long way to go in terms of consistently delivering what he’s capable of. 

49 minutes ago, Jack Bailey said:

Agree with this. Callum is arguably one of the hardest working players (pipped by Brownhill IMO). He frustrates me at times but his defensive attributes are immense. I have no doubt he will go in the summer for in the region of 8-10 million

£8-10m with one year left means you think he is worth £15-16m with a 3 year contract I assume. Must do. 

Disagree with that. COD worth £3-4m now and £7.5m ish  the day he signs a new deal here. 

What separates COD from the opposition for me is, he is hard working, he can be wasteful but never hides and even up to the last kick you know he is capable of a great strike, his defensive work is almost exemplary and he is brave and is subject to some really heavy/meaty challenges but still gets up and gets on with it.

That is very unusual for a winger and makes him a valuable asset IMHO.

54 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

At last Fevs admits COD adds value !!

44 minutes ago, Jack Bailey said:

He's never liked him. Look at his previous posts. Wondered whether O'Dowda was seeing his missus?

Anyhow, as for value, it matters not what any of us think as to his value. When it comes to it, the market will dictate - end of

I just don’t think he’s as brilliant as some of you think he is.  I tend to be more grey in my evaluations than black and white extremes.

You only have to look at this forum to see the flip-flop nature of some posters.  Pato has gone from lazy, bottling scapegoat to grafting midfielder overnight just because Palmer didn’t have a great game on Sunday.

Callum has played better of late, but I still think he plays witn him head down too much and / or tries to do too much at 100mph, hence why he sometimes runs into trouble or doesn’t pick the right pass.  I’ve never doubted he has ability, but he still has more to do for me.  Away from home his running with the ball (because he has a bit more space) is a real advantage.

Like most of our players we are seeing lots of good things, partly because the whole team is playing well.

When results aren’t going for us and the team aren’t playing as well I hope it is Callum driving us on and being the catalyst.  I’ve not seen enough of that previously.

How influential was Callum in the first half v Wolves when we weren’t playing as well as a team versus the second half when we dominated?  Ask yourself that.

And....My my wife has moved onto Kasey Palmer - that’s why I’m now a COD fan-boy! ?

48 minutes ago, ciderwithtommy said:

Ran an article yesterday saying it’s unlikely to be resolved until the summer, and may be prem bound. I noticed he ran a little negative story re Johnson a few weeks ago around the Semenyo recall, I wonder if the club are hanging him out a bit, of COD has signed a new contract maybe they have misled him a bit

Prem bound? O'Dowda? I really can't see PL clubs being interested in him, he's been decent lately but he's flattered to deceive for us in the most part. I've always said that he has a lot of potential and needs some good coaching to work on his end product, it may just be a case of us not ever seeing the best of him here a bit like Bolasie but I would be very surprised if a PL club were to take a punt on him. Can think of several other wingers in this division I'd be looking at as a lower end PL club than O'Dowda... Wilson (loan), Phillips, Bowen, Watkins, Benhrama.... 

27 minutes ago, BessexRED said:

Prem bound? O'Dowda? I really can't see PL clubs being interested in him, he's been decent lately but he's flattered to deceive for us in the most part. I've always said that he has a lot of potential and needs some good coaching to work on his end product, it may just be a case of us not ever seeing the best of him here a bit like Bolasie but I would be very surprised if a PL club were to take a punt on him. Can think of several other wingers in this division I'd be looking at as a lower end PL club than O'Dowda... Wilson (loan), Phillips, Bowen, Watkins, Benhrama.... 

Hard working and athletic. I think quite a few sides would be interested him from a prem standpoint. I don’t think he’d be the top target for any of them but teams like Burnely, Brighton and Southampton I think would have Callum on their radar. Don’t have to look further than James McClean to see what athelticism and hard work can get you. 

Even the ones you listed are more wide forwards than grafting wing players. I do rate everyone you said but Callum brings totally different attributes to the table than most of those. He would also be cheaper than some of those like Watkins, Wilson and Bowen. 

I am not rose tinted when it comes to Callum because I haven’t really rated him throughout his time here. That said, he has numerous unteachable qualities that I think make him a prem target like his work rate, athleticism and size. His end product improved as well. I truly believe, despite how people view him, when he leaves city it will be for a bigger club. When I say bigger I mean a lower prem club or recently relegated prem club. My opinion anyway and like I said I haven’t been his biggest fan

As he hollds all the cards I can't see him signing a new deal until the summer. Unlees we go up and a premier team shows interest, which I'd be suprised, then I think he'll  be off. If not I see Forest being a draw for him considering the faith m.o.n. seemed to have in him for the republic, plus they may well pay him more. I'll be pleased if he resigns and wants to stay but wouldn't break any wage structure to accommodate him.

19 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Hard working and athletic. I think quite a few sides would be interested him from a prem standpoint. I don’t think he’d be the top target for any of them but teams like Burnely, Brighton and Southampton I think would have Callum on their radar. Don’t have to look further than James McClean to see what athelticism and hard work can get you. 

Even the ones you listed are more wide forwards than grafting wing players. I do rate everyone you said but Callum brings totally different attributes to the table than most of those. He would also be cheaper than some of those like Watkins, Wilson and Bowen. 

I am not rose tinted when it comes to Callum because I haven’t really rated him throughout his time here. That said, he has numerous unteachable qualities that I think make him a prem target like his work rate, athleticism and size. His end product improved as well. I truly believe, despite how people view him, when he leaves city it will be for a bigger club. When I say bigger I mean a lower prem club or recently relegated prem club. My opinion anyway and like I said I haven’t been his biggest fan

I've never been his biggest fan either, I think a lot of games pass him by and he wasn't direct enough though that's improved recently. I don't dislike him, I can see the potential he has and I'm enjoying his performances at the moment but in my opinion if we were to lose him it wouldn't be the end of the world and there's no need for pull all the stops out to keep him here if he doesn't want to be.

56 minutes ago, BessexRED said:

I've never been his biggest fan either, I think a lot of games pass him by and he wasn't direct enough though that's improved recently. I don't dislike him, I can see the potential he has and I'm enjoying his performances at the moment but in my opinion if we were to lose him it wouldn't be the end of the world and there's no need for pull all the stops out to keep him here if he doesn't want to be.

Not the end of the world for me either. Personally, would like to see Adelakun get more game time if COD left. He has a bright future as well and as i said earlier if COD is sold we do not have to buy a replacement as we still have Adelakun, Weimann, Eliasson and Smith. Or it gives us the chance to buy from lower leagues again for cheap. If cod stays or goes we are in a good spot as a club

I get the feeling that COD has more talent than he seems to show in matches - in the past LJ has said how good he is in practice games.

Not sure if it is a question of confidence but he is only recently starting to show what a decent player he could be.  Maybe he is flattering to deceive but somewhere in  there is a good Premier league player. 

I'd like to keep him for that reason - if he doesn't achieve his potential in the next 12 months then I guess he never will.

7 hours ago, Kevin Brady said:

I think you may be in the minority RedDave - COD has been exceptional and his run of starts and strong performances is not coincidental to our very successful same run of games. Funny how we see things differently. 

Yep spot on. Since he's been back our run has been immense. Scoring creating and bums of seats!! Need to try and keep hold of him. Value only going to increase. His work rate and personality shine through out this team!! 

59 minutes ago, keynshamred said:

Yep spot on. Since he's been back our run has been immense. Scoring creating and bums of seats!! Need to try and keep hold of him. Value only going to increase. His work rate and personality shine through out this team!! 

I hope he continues his recent form.  Needs to do it for the majority of the rest of the season imho.  I know he had a few niggly injuries at the start of the season and he was in and out.  There was a point when you thought his failure to command a start seemed to contradict LJ’s insistence of how good a player he is / could be, and wanting him to sign a new deal.  You could understand at that point why uncertainty over his role meant he didn’t want to sign, or at least wait and see.  His return to the line-up v Norwich in December is not that long ago, and he has done well in that spell of games...but for me, I want to see that continue.  I accept wide players are prone to being inconsistent too.

With all our players, if they do get sold, you hope it’s top dollar.  With one year left in the summer, we won’t get as much as we could if he had another year left.  We obviously won’t let him run out his final year.  Last summer saw us move more contract to 3+1, where’s Callum was 2+1, and that doesn’t give City the protection of a player like O’Dowda coming good in his second season and then holding the aces.

I’ve never said he’s a bad player, but I certainly wouldn’t say he’s been “immense” either.  I hope he signs a new deal, that is what the “project” is based on, not letting good young players go for less than they’re worth because we didn’t tie them down long enough early enough.

5 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

I think he has a lot more potential in him. You see glimpses of what he can do and recently he is in the team on merit. If he improves at he rate of his mate Josh Brownhill, then we have some player on our books

Agree. What p@#ses me off a bit is that players don't necessarily see the massive potential at City. It's probably been discussed elswhere on here so apologies but SL has demonstrated the art of the possible and I can't help think thst City would be a prime candidate for a big investment (oil type - not saying I want that!) -20k plus crowds in the 2nd tier, fantastic city that all away fans look forward to etc. I firmly believe if City reach the top they'll stay there for a long time. Here's hoping.

I've always been very 'condimentary' of COD, if he re-signs that would be brilliant news, if he decides he wants to be a bigger fish in a bigger pond and secures a lucrative future elsewhere then I hope the majority of us will condiment rather than batter him, really hope he sees his future as being here with Bristol City - we're in a good place right now, and it feels like we may be on the verge of better things. If we can keep the nucleus of our young group together for a while...  Who knows how far they can take us? 

COD can contribute A LOT to our future as a club. Sincerely hope he doesn't become another 'one that got away'. 

Archived