IGNORED

COD

ciderwithtommy

I suspect his agent will tell him to hold off signing until he knows whether we will be promoted or not.

He could ask for a lot more money if we do and if we miss out he can see what sort of genuine interest there is from other clubs, either way COD holds the the cards.

I would like the great ‘ human being ‘ to stay and progress with us but he is not irreplaceable.

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I suspect his agent will tell him to hold off signing until he knows whether we will be promoted or not.

He could ask for a lot more money if we do and if we miss out he can see what sort of genuine interest there is from other clubs, either way COD holds the the cards.

I would like the great ‘ human being ‘ to stay and progress with us but he is not irreplaceable.

To be fair he could get all of that put within the clauses of a new deal with us. With the further advantage that both the player & agent would get two signing on fees if he then moved on after signing with us - ala Flint.

Personally, think everyone should enjoy watching Callum for the next few months. Come summer I believe he will be gone for a fee in the 5m range(last year of deal if we get more great!). 

Also, while a big loss, I’d be excited to see more of Eliasson and Adelakun. If Callum is sold, there would be no panic to replace him. We have options so whatever fee we receive would almost be pure profit towards FFP. May mean we can hold off selling another during the summer. 

15 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Personally, think everyone should enjoy watching Callum for the next few months. Come summer I believe he will be gone for a fee in the 5m range(last year of deal if we get more great!). 

Also, while a big loss, I’d be excited to see more of Eliasson and Adelakun. If Callum is sold, there would be no panic to replace him. We have options so whatever fee we receive would almost be pure profit towards FFP. May mean we can hold off selling another during the summer. 

I struggle to see how we will get £5m for him when his contract is up next summer. He hasn’t exactly been brilliant this season. 

32 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I struggle to see how we will get £5m for him when his contract is up next summer. He hasn’t exactly been brilliant this season. 

I think you may be in the minority RedDave - COD has been exceptional and his run of starts and strong performances is not coincidental to our very successful same run of games. Funny how we see things differently. 

46 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Have to weigh it up.

Much less than 5m would it be better to keep him for the extra year while trying to convince him to stay while reaping the benefits on the pitch? 

I agree he hasn’t been as brilliant as some are saying but he is finally producing a bit more consistently. 3 goals and 5 assists in the league as a 23 year old is not bad for a wide player.

Compare him to Daniel James at Swansea. He has 2 goals and 4 assists in 5 less appearances. James is 2 years younger but at their ages I don’t think it affects fee too much. James being touted for 8 figures(11m in January was the rumour). So why shouldn’t we expect half that for Callum? 

26 minutes ago, Kevin Brady said:

I think you may be in the minority RedDave - COD has been exceptional and his run of starts and strong performances is not coincidental to our very successful same run of games. Funny how we see things differently. 

Over the whole season he has been exceptional?  Disagree.  Think he has been exceptional in patches on our excellent run of results.  I don't think he has turned in the performances of a roughly £8-9m player which he would need to be for us to get £5m for him this summer.  

Has he grabbed many games by the scruff of the neck and won it for us?  Not many.  I loved COD more than most as I know he is young but, for me, he has a fair bit to go to be the prices we are talking here.  Still too inconsistent.  

12 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Have to weigh it up.

Much less than 5m would it be better to keep him for the extra year while trying to convince him to stay while reaping the benefits on the pitch? 

I agree he hasn’t been as brilliant as some are saying but he is finally producing a bit more consistently. 3 goals and 5 assists in the league as a 23 year old is not bad for a wide player.

Compare him to Daniel James at Swansea. He has 2 goals and 4 assists in 5 less appearances. James is 2 years younger but at their ages I don’t think it affects fee too much. James being touted for 8 figures(11m in January was the rumour). So why shouldn’t we expect half that for Callum? 

James didn't go for £11m though.  Maybe Leeds didn't want to pay that much for him.

Not seen enough of James to give an opinion on him to be honest.  I think if we were to get £5m for him then it would be because a few teams wanted COD and the price got driven up.  I cannot see a lot of teams falling over themselves for him.  I cannot see how scouts are going to be watching him over a few games and calling their manager and saying you HAVE to sign this guy.

We will see I guess.  I've been wrong before...once I think!

Hopefully this doesn't read that I don't rate COD.  Would love nothing more for him to sign a new deal and watch his further progression. 

43 minutes ago, RedDave said:

James didn't go for £11m though.  Maybe Leeds didn't want to pay that much for him.

Not seen enough of James to give an opinion on him to be honest.  I think if we were to get £5m for him then it would be because a few teams wanted COD and the price got driven up.  I cannot see a lot of teams falling over themselves for him.  I cannot see how scouts are going to be watching him over a few games and calling their manager and saying you HAVE to sign this guy.

We will see I guess.  I've been wrong before...once I think!

Hopefully this doesn't read that I don't rate COD.  Would love nothing more for him to sign a new deal and watch his further progression. 

Apparently the fee with Leeds was agreed but Swansea plaued up last min with James in Leeds ready to sign! Though that fee has not come out I do not think. 

My only point is that there is a market to look at when it comes to valuing COD. Champ starters in their early 20s don’t go for 2-3m much anymore. We see all our players and form opinions on how good they are but from the outside looking in I imagine COD is held in very high regard in England with his performances as  of late and his reputation with Ireland. 

10 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Apparently the fee with Leeds was agreed but Swansea plaued up last min with James in Leeds ready to sign! Though that fee has not come out I do not think. 

My only point is that there is a market to look at when it comes to valuing COD. Champ starters in their early 20s don’t go for 2-3m much anymore. We see all our players and form opinions on how good they are but from the outside looking in I imagine COD is held in very high regard in England with his performances as  of late and his reputation with Ireland

Indeed, he got praise on Sunday from national outlets and that will be noticed.

James was an interesting one...his move collapsed partly as well along with Fer, possible Potter would have walked had they both left. The way the fee was structured also proved a sticking point- think Leeds were paying £1.5m now and £10m in the summer or that was their proposal anyway.

As for O'Dowda- £5m seems fairly likely/realistic IMO with the caveat being that last year of deal always knocks a bit off.

8 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

My only point is that there is a market to look at when it comes to valuing COD. Champ starters in their early 20s don’t go for 2-3m much anymore. We see all our players and form opinions on how good they are but from the outside looking in I imagine COD is held in very high regard in England with his performances as  of late and his reputation with Ireland. 

Completely agree the market has changed.  Just don't think, even with that in mind, that COD is worth £8/9/10m.  

I think we sometimes get blinkered as to the ability of our players.  I could show you games where he has been 'on it' this season but I could show as many games where he is nigh on anonymous.  

Actually think he has shown more promise centrally but rarely gets a chance to play there. 

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

Over the whole season he has been exceptional?  Disagree.  Think he has been exceptional in patches on our excellent run of results.  I don't think he has turned in the performances of a roughly £8-9m player which he would need to be for us to get £5m for him this summer.  

Has he grabbed many games by the scruff of the neck and won it for us?  Not many.  I loved COD more than most as I know he is young but, for me, he has a fair bit to go to be the prices we are talking here.  Still too inconsistent.  

You saved me a lot of typing RD. 

That scruff of the neck comment is bang on imho. 

Top players are the difference...the ones that do something to raise an average team performance. For me COD flits in and out too much. 

Dont get me wrong, he has played well in this good run, and showed (greater) potential than his good run prior to injury last season. He is starting to add more end product, but still got plenty of room to improve. 

@Kevin Brady out of interest are you friendly with COD or just a huge fan?  Is Brady an Irish connection with him? I’ve noticed you singing his praises a lot?

1 hour ago, Kevin Brady said:

Disagree hes average for me i personally dont get the hype , if he goes wouldnt lose any sleep of it .

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You saved me a lot of typing RD. 

That scruff of the neck comment is bang on imho. 

Top players are the difference...the ones that do something to raise an average team performance. For me COD flits in and out too much. 

Dont get me wrong, he has played well in this good run, and showed (greater) potential than his good run prior to injury last season. He is starting to add more end product, but still got plenty of room to improve. 

@Kevin Brady out of interest are you friendly with COD or just a huge fan?  Is Brady an Irish connection with him? I’ve noticed you singing his praises a lot?

Huge Irish fan living here, also a massive COD fan.  I also wish Josh Brownhill was Irish!

6 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Completely agree the market has changed.  Just don't think, even with that in mind, that COD is worth £8/9/10m.  

I think we sometimes get blinkered as to the ability of our players.  I could show you games where he has been 'on it' this season but I could show as many games where he is nigh on anonymous.  

Actually think he has shown more promise centrally but rarely gets a chance to play there. 

I don’t think COD is worth that either! I said 5m! 

I think I am usually quite fair on what our players values might be. I don’t base my predictions on how I feel about a player but more on what similar player are going for in similar positions at similar ages. Other aspects too like contract length or being an international player.

COD has most things on his side like age, international rep, and now producing some end product(8 combines goal and assists is over 20% of our total in the league I think). One thing going against his fee, a big one, is contract length. Think this maybe knocks off a couple mil during the summer. If he had 3 years left I do think we’d be asking 7-8m for him and rightly so. As it is he has a year left and for me that means he will be in that 5m range. We will see though. I am no expert but do pay a lot of attention on transfers across Europe

1 hour ago, Kevin Brady said:

No he hasn’t been exceptional at all. The occasional game when he impresses but way short of exceptional

I see him as a useful but unspectacular player.

I think you’re the one in the minority.

4 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I don’t think COD is worth that either! I said 5m! 

I think I am usually quite fair on what our players values might be. I don’t base my predictions on how I feel about a player but more on what similar player are going for in similar positions at similar ages. Other aspects too like contract length or being an international player.

COD has most things on his side like age, international rep, and now producing some end product(8 combines goal and assists is over 20% of our total in the league I think). One thing going against his fee, a big one, is contract length. Think this maybe knocks off a couple mil during the summer. If he had 3 years left I do think we’d be asking 7-8m for him and rightly so. As it is he has a year left and for me that means he will be in that 5m range. We will see though. I am no expert but do pay a lot of attention on transfers across Europe

That was a follow on to my previous point.  If he is worth £5m with one year left on contract then he must be worth a lot more if he had a longer contract.

Problem is we all see COD a lot more than we see other players.  Is James much better than COD for example?  No idea.  A lot of fans see a player once or twice and form an opinion.  If you watched COD against Villa (i.e. one game) you would think he was worth nowhere near these numbers. 

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

No he hasn’t been exceptional at all. The occasional game when he impresses but way short of exceptional

I see him as a useful but unspectacular player.

I think you’re the one in the minority.

Agree with this.  Kalas, Webster and Brownhill have been exceptional.

Maenpaa, Fielding, DaSilva have been very good.

I would put O'Dowda in the next list after these 6, along with the likes of Diedhiou, Pack, Weimann. 

Archived