IGNORED

History

BigTone

9 minutes ago, BigTone said:

He was born in Lambeth so is English.  He was also slightly overweight and had a bigger pouch than Skippy !!

Sorry Tone, it was the only pun I could come up with. Wally could've been born anywhere!

Useless facts, however......Skippy the Bush Kangaroo was in fact a wallabee! Lisa Goddard was the young girl in the series who later married Alvin Stardust who NEVER sang on the single My Coo Ca Choo! It was a demo by the writer Peter Shelley (Love Me Love My Dog). The single was the biggest selling single  in Australia for 1974. Adelaide where your nephew lives, is also in Australia! Small world!

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Open the correction on this...@handsofclay will probably know.

Rovers are known as the Gas for obvious reasons.

The term 'shithead' for us, came from an original name of 'sheet heads'.

Our original ground had Advertising sheets put around the ground to stop people watching the game for free as you could overlook the ground.

That's how I've understood it.

I doubt it very much. Shithead or any variation was not anything I ever heard in my first thirty years following City.

And the first time I heard "Gas" mentioned the other way was after the famous 2-1 FA Cup win in 1982 or 83, when the City fans had made a "Gas busters" banner which was based on a change in wording to the film of the time, Ghost busters.

Back in time before then, it is very unlikely that the words "SH*T" and **** would have been used in general public areas as they are now. I was about 13 when I first heard the F word from an adult in public. I actually thought it was a word only children knew. And at least 16 when I first heard it from my father.

30 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Now i just know someone is going to say they had theirs in a fishmongers

Even to this day, the smell of fish...

This reminds me of the story about the bloke who perfected a way of manufacturing ladies’ knickers out of dried fish skins. Very cost effective and a potential money spinner, until someone pointed out that you wouldn’t be able to tell when they needed changing...

(I’ll get me coat.)

27 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I doubt it very much. Shithead or any variation was not anything I ever heard in my first thirty years following City.

And the first time I heard "Gas" mentioned the other way was after the famous 2-1 FA Cup win in 1982 or 83, when the City fans had made a "Gas busters" banner which was based on a change in wording to the film of the time, Ghost busters.

Back in time before then, it is very unlikely that the words "SH*T" and **** would have been used in general public areas as they are now. I was about 13 when I first heard the F word from an adult in public. I actually thought it was a word only children knew. And at least 16 when I first heard it from my father.

My understanding of the word Gas came from the East Enders chanting The Gas, The Gas, We Gotta Get Rid Of The Gas. I remember this chant very well in the early 80s. This was because their rented ground at Eastville had the massive Gas Tanks behind the Tote End.  Rovers fans thought they could then call themselves The Gas which in turn was picked up by their then stadium announcer Keith Valle, and the rest is history.

40 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

Sorry Tone, it was the only pun I could come up with. Wally could've been born anywhere!

Useless facts, however......Skippy the Bush Kangaroo was in fact a wallabee! Lisa Goddard was the young girl in the series who later married Alvin Stardust who NEVER sang on the single My Coo Ca Choo! It was a demo by the writer Peter Shelley (Love Me Love My Dog). The single was the biggest selling single  in Australia for 1974. Adelaide where your nephew lives, is also in Australia! Small world!

And I lived in Adelaide so makes it even smaller !!!!

19 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

47 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

Kanga's are generally bigger and have a squared off nose whereas Wobbalee's have a pointed nose. The same rule applies to distinguish Salt Water crocs and Freshies. Alvin Stardust had neither. Peter Shelley was just shite. Adelaide is also known as the murder capital of Australia not always by numbers but certainly by depravity.

The old No. 1 stand (situated where the Dolman Stand is now) was known as “The Cowshed”. This picture illustrates why. You can see the Harry Dolman designer floodlights in front of the stand. Look carefully and you might be able to make out the mechanism, at the base, used for lowering them. 

0DB193AA-53A5-4AE5-9751-D1594E011CE4.jpeg

A minor, insignificant fact, is that the signs outside the turnstiles in the Williams Stand during the early 60s said “All Tickets Must Be Shewn”. Why City used the old English version of “shown” I don’t know, but it caused much amusement to myself and the other young fans at the the time  

( the Williams Stand wasn’t called that at the time)

57 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

My understanding of the word Gas came from the East Enders chanting The Gas, The Gas, We Gotta Get Rid Of The Gas. I remember this chant very well in the early 80s. This was because their rented ground at Eastville had the massive Gas Tanks behind the Tote End.  Rovers fans thought they could then call themselves The Gas which in turn was picked up by their then stadium announcer Keith Valle, and the rest is history.

When I started work in 1983 my boss was a City fan of about 40 years, as far as he could remember he'd always referred the the blue half as 'The Gas Works Mob'. Must go back to the 40s at least.

Sh*t head is clearly just an appropriation of an insult, like Spu*s calling themselves the Yids, Arsenal The Gooners etc.

6 minutes ago, Arsene's Wanger said:

When I started work in 1983 my boss was a City fan of about 40 years, as far as he could remember he'd always referred the the blue half as 'The Gas Works Mob'. Must go back to the 40s at least.

Sh*t head is clearly just an appropriation of an insult, like Spu*s calling themselves the Yids, Arsenal The Gooners etc.

I wouldn't disagree. Yes the smell of gas was quite nauseating at Eastville. But the era before the hooliganism started, was much more banter than nasty insults. The banner I referred to, took some ingenuity to design and make. The response of Shitheads that I didn't hear until a year or so later, needed little imagination or brain power to instigate.

Sorry if I caused this excellent thread to veer off course. I'll think if some more history things later.

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

It was Grand in those days!  ;)

Anyone remember the timber and glass press box in the Grand Stand, that was known as 'Arry's 'En-'Ouse?

I can remember the gantry for TV cameras and commentators that hung down from the roof of the Grand Stand. The cameramen and commentators had to reach it by climbing a ladder.  @BigTone - your nephew’s son has probably never heard of the “famous” commentator on local TV, Roger Malone, so you must  give him an update, particularly when he was trapped in the gantry for 30 minutes. The thread below is always worth a read 

11 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

And David Seal and Bailey Wright. But not Neil Kilkenny. 

And funnily enough the only Bruce I can recall playing for us wasn’t Australian. Very odd. 

BRUCE Halliday must have found his calling as he's now a Financial Planner in Brisbane https://www.vanguardinvestments.com.au/adviser/adv/contacts.jsp

image.png.a18ba047ba9ac08871b72408209e180d.png

2 hours ago, pongo88 said:

The old No. 1 stand (situated where the Dolman Stand is now) was known as “The Cowshed”. This picture illustrates why. You can see the Harry Dolman designer floodlights in front of the stand. Look carefully and you might be able to make out the mechanism, at the base, used for lowering them. 

0DB193AA-53A5-4AE5-9751-D1594E011CE4.jpeg

It’s scary to think that that stand is better than any in the mem.

Archived