IGNORED

History

BigTone

Our pitch was bigger than the old Wembley pitch....so the ‘wide open spaces causing players to get cramp during cup finals beneath the twin towers’ narrative was a myth.

Also, the legendary pairing of Bill Shankly and Bob Paisley once turned out for us away at Southampton when a car containing a few of our players broke down on the way down there and there was a pre match tannoy announcement asking if anyone could play for City in their place....and those two stepped over the advertising hoardings and played for us. Or is that a myth? It was certainly a story peddled by the guy who used to do the old stadium tours before our redevelopment! @Robbored was there at The Dell that day and would have played, but he couldn’t hear the tannoy.....

And Liverpool wear all red because when they once played against us, when Shanks was their boss, he thought our all red kit back then (shirts, shorts, socks) made our players look bigger and broader thereby giving us a psychological edge, so he made sure Liverpool ditched their white shorts and moved on to their recognised kit of today. Meanwhile we changed ours to incorporate white shorts!

1 hour ago, Ivorguy said:

Anyone else remember The Sally Army band playing before ok and at half time?

Before we had the 60s era skimpily dressed dancers!

No it was the Fishponds British Legion band and the crowd cheered every time the band leader threw his very large baton in the air, and twice as loud if he ever dropped it!

13 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Our pitch was bigger than the old Wembley pitch....so the ‘wide open spaces causing players to get cramp during cup finals beneath the twin towers’ narrative was a myth.

Also, the legendary pairing of Bill Shankly and Bob Paisley once turned out for us away at Southampton when a car containing a few of our players broke down on the way down there and there was a pre match tannoy announcement asking if anyone could play for City in their place....and those two stepped over the advertising hoardings and played for us. Or is that a myth? It was certainly a story peddled by the guy who used to do the old stadium tours before our redevelopment! @Robbored was there at The Dell that day and would have played, but he couldn’t hear the tannoy.....

And Liverpool wear all red because when they once played against us, when Shanks was their boss, he thought our all red kit back then (shirts, shorts, socks) made our players look bigger and broader thereby giving us a psychological edge, so he made sure Liverpool ditched their white shorts and moved on to their recognised kit of today. Meanwhile we changed ours to incorporate white shorts!

Not sure that second paragraph is correct. We never wore red shorts in the fifties which is the only period when we played regularly against Liverpool in old Division Two. We went down to Div 3 in 1960, they went up to old First Division in 1962 and we didn't play them again until 1975-6 season in First Division. We did wear all red in 1967 or 1968 but by then Liverpool already all red.

17 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Not sure that second paragraph is correct. We never wore red shorts in the fifties which is the only period when we played regularly against Liverpool in old Division Two. We went down to Div 3 in 1960, they went up to old First Division in 1962 and we didn't play them again until 1975-6 season in First Division. We did wear all red in 1967 or 1968 but by then Liverpool already all red.

I think you are referring to my third paragraph....perhaps the story was that Shankly saw our kit when we played someone else then....because we wore all red in 1965 (and kept it until 1971) and the next season Liverpool changed to all red I believe - so the timings seem right, or it could just be yet another myth!

And we did play them three times in 1974 by the way....the next time after that was just before Xmas 1976 - we weren’t in the old first division in 75/76...

18 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I think you are referring to my third paragraph....perhaps the story was that Shankly saw our kit when we played someone else then....because we wore all red in 1965 (and kept it until 1971) and the next season Liverpool changed to all red I believe - so the timings seem right, or it could just be yet another myth!

And we did play them three times in 1974 by the way....the next time after that was just before Xmas 1976 - we weren’t in the old first division in 75/76...

Thanks for date and fact corrections. Totally forgot that we played them twice in League Cup the season after the 6the round of FA Cup.

And of course 75/76 was the promotion season from Div 2..

I usually check things like that in my array of books. The memory is not bad, no dementia yet.

On 20/02/2019 at 10:06, handsofclay said:

Ashton Gate was originally Bedminster's ground and also used by the cricket club. Opened in 1895. Bedminster merged with Bristol City in 1900. Bedminster were originally called Southville 1887 but changed their name to Bedminster in 1890. WG Grace refereed some of Southville's matches. Bedminster had the better team and stadium when they merged with Bristol City in 1900, this is reflected in the fact that most of the players retained by the newly merged club were the Bedminster ones.

Bristol City were formed as Bristol South End in 1894, although there was a club called Bristol South that had disbanded earlier in 1894 that was founded at some point in the early to mid 1880s. The directors of the new club Bristol South End had all been associated with the Bristol South club. 

I've been searching the internet about bristol south but haven't found any information. Am I looking in the wrong place?

9 hours ago, handsofclay said:

Old newspapers on microfiche at the Central Library and Colindale in London are the best bet.

Yes, the microfiche at the Central Library is a great source. I mixed up two games from the 50s that Cidered Abroad pointed out so I went in and checked it out. Trouble was I spent the rest of the day in there whizzing through reels of the stuff!

On 21/02/2019 at 17:27, Threshing Red said:

I've been searching the internet about bristol south but haven't found any information. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Have a look at 'Findmypast' newspapers, but to read the pages you would need to subscribe .

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/search/british-newspapers?keywords=bristol south end&date=1850-01-01&date_offsetdate=1899-12-31

Archived