IGNORED

FLDC v Millwall Matchday Thread

elhombrecito

Big bonus- coupon buster!

A draw in the East Midlands derby would suit us best I feel- it'd keep Derby behind us regardless, and would prevent stall Nottingham Forest from any late momentum further.

87 fans? I seem to recall we took a similar number or was it less- certainly <100- on the Friday night at Hull when we got relegated in the McInnes/S'OD season- the game in which our relegation officially confirmed.

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Frank Lampard is being called out by Craig Ramage , Derby legend , for changing the style of play too often and confusing the players.

They have not been at their best since October and play pedestrian, boring football that is too easy to combat.

All is not well at Pride Park .

I love it ! 

The little tinkerer!

20 minutes ago, Super said:

Millwall are just one of those nightmare teams to play against as we found out at AG. If we get anything out of the game at the Den it will be a good result.

Indeed- though you have to set up right tactically, which we certainly did not last April up there for example.

Getting the first goal against them is usually pretty key, going there and taking an approach where we are happy to concede possession perhaps and capitalise on their mistakes would throw them, sides who deliberately set out to concede possession to them seem to do alright as they lack some creativity a lot of the time. Of course if we get the first goal against them and look to keep possession but not so much attacking then they will have to come out and press which will give us a chance to counter on them.

Definitely one I'd consider adapting our game for though, whichever way that might be.

Millwall fan back again. The one with family in Bristol - so have a bit of an interest in what the Bristol clubs get up to! Thought you'd be pleased with our result last night.

This nonsense about us only taking '87 fans' to Derby. I have seen this kind of lie creeping in a lot on social media over the years. A weird obsession with making up lies to make other clubs look bad. Indeed, I have noticed how it is usually spread by fans of northern clubs that hate us & also think they are massive - the likes of Leeds United etc. 

Millwall are actually one of the best supported clubs on the road over the years in terms of ratio of our average home support. Every season we average between 8 and 12% of home attendances on the road (you can check this out on the EFL website). Last season we averaged 1,348 away - pretty much dead on 10% of the average home gate we get.

That is particularly impressive when you consider that since 2002 (and the Birmingham City play-off riot) all our away games have been members only and all-ticket. Whilst this has not always stopped hooligans getting around it for big matches, it has put off a lot of casual Millwall away goers, as you have to sign up to a membership scheme and make sure you get your ticket in advance. No waking up on the day of the match and deciding to simply hop on a train and pay on the turnstile. Even our games for places like Ipswich and Norwich City are members only and all-ticket. 

To compare and contrast, I cannot imagine our friends from last night, Derby County, averaging 2,700 on the road if all their games were made members only and all-ticket and they were one of the teams fancied for relegation. Plus, when they did go away they were subjected to OTT policing and inconvenient kick off times etc. This, despite being located in the middle of the country and therefore within easy access of most away grounds. 

We took just under 400 to Derby last night. Not bad given how tight the trains were, it being as ever members only and all-ticket for us, our wretched away form and the match being available on Sky and I-Follow. Indeed, we are currently averaging 1,100 on the road this season, just a shade under 10% of home support. And with no doubt big followings up at places like Villa, Sheffield United and Bolton Wanderers to come, I am sure it will again be about 1,200 to 1,300 average by the end of the season. 

I was going to say that perhaps these people that make up 'Millwall only took 87 fans to Derby' should get lives - then I just realised I wrote and researched the above! So, pot, kettle, black.

Anyway, good luck for the season and see you on a Wednesday night soon! 

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Indeed- though you have to set up right tactically, which we certainly did not last April up there for example.

Getting the first goal against them is usually pretty key, going there and taking an approach where we are happy to concede possession perhaps and capitalise on their mistakes would throw them, sides who deliberately set out to concede possession to them seem to do alright as they lack some creativity a lot of the time. Of course if we get the first goal against them and look to keep possession but not so much attacking then they will have to come out and press which will give us a chance to counter on them.

Definitely one I'd consider adapting our game for though, whichever way that might be.

This is very true.

Under Harris we have only lost a few times at home and always to teams that let us have the ball. The likes of Villa, Leeds, Forest, Derby, Norwich City etc who have come to win have all been beaten. The only club I can recall coming to Millwall to take us on and win are Sheffield United this season - they are a very, very good side. 

22 minutes ago, Piccolo said:

Millwall fan back again. The one with family in Bristol - so have a bit of an interest in what the Bristol clubs get up to! Thought you'd be pleased with our result last night.

This nonsense about us only taking '87 fans' to Derby. I have seen this kind of lie creeping in a lot on social media over the years. A weird obsession with making up lies to make other clubs look bad. Indeed, I have noticed how it is usually spread by fans of northern clubs that hate us & also think they are massive - the likes of Leeds United etc. 

Millwall are actually one of the best supported clubs on the road over the years in terms of ratio of our average home support. Every season we average between 8 and 12% of home attendances on the road (you can check this out on the EFL website). Last season we averaged 1,348 away - pretty much dead on 10% of the average home gate we get.

That is particularly impressive when you consider that since 2002 (and the Birmingham City play-off riot) all our away games have been members only and all-ticket. Whilst this has not always stopped hooligans getting around it for big matches, it has put off a lot of casual Millwall away goers, as you have to sign up to a membership scheme and make sure you get your ticket in advance. No waking up on the day of the match and deciding to simply hop on a train and pay on the turnstile. Even our games for places like Ipswich and Norwich City are members only and all-ticket. 

To compare and contrast, I cannot imagine our friends from last night, Derby County, averaging 2,700 on the road if all their games were made members only and all-ticket and they were one of the teams fancied for relegation. Plus, when they did go away they were subjected to OTT policing and inconvenient kick off times etc. This, despite being located in the middle of the country and therefore within easy access of most away grounds. 

We took just under 400 to Derby last night. Not bad given how tight the trains were, it being as ever members only and all-ticket for us, our wretched away form and the match being available on Sky and I-Follow. Indeed, we are currently averaging 1,100 on the road this season, just a shade under 10% of home support. And with no doubt big followings up at places like Villa, Sheffield United and Bolton Wanderers to come, I am sure it will again be about 1,200 to 1,300 average by the end of the season. 

I was going to say that perhaps these people that make up 'Millwall only took 87 fans to Derby' should get lives - then I just realised I wrote and researched the above! So, pot, kettle, black.

Thank you for your post Piccolo ,,there was a mistake on OTIB . ( yes , I know , unheard of ) but as you say this grew into the truth before the nasty old facts got in the way.

There are dodgy shades of our Gas friends in your post though ( thousands locked out no doubt ! ) 

Concerning the footy , well done for last night . You really put the Willies up the Rams ! 

They’re on the ropes .

Just now, Major Isewater said:

Thank you for your post Piccolo ,,there was a mistake on OTIB . ( yes , I know , unheard of ) but as you say this grew into the truth before the nasty old facts got in the way.

There are shades of our Gas friends in your post ( thousands locked out no doubt ! ) 

Concerning the footy , well done for last night . You really put the Willies up the Rams ! 

They’re on the ropes .

I wasn't referring to this forum.

I was referring to social media. Have seen this kind of stuff creep in a lot over the past few years - ie fans making up stuff.

We not only get it about fan numbers, but about fan actions too. I remember when we played Sheffield Wednesday a few years back and an incident on a tram (someone kicked a door) turned into Millwall fans had attacked a tram full of families and overturned it. It spread so far and wide that even the likes of Micheal Vaughan commented on the disgraceful Millwall thugs. 

Rotherham fans had us attacking a man in a wheelchair and throwing them off a concourse.

And Barnsley fans have done a brilliant job of recasting their significant number of troublemakers at Wembley as 'innocent families' being chased by Millwall thugs. Erm, look at the pictures m'laud!! 

28 minutes ago, Piccolo said:

This is a strange argument that our 'friends' from north of the river regularly come up with. Surely this just highlights the very low home attendances that you get? By your argument, it's better to average 13,000 at home and 1,300 away than it is to average 25,000 at home and 2,000 away... :dunno:

51 minutes ago, Piccolo said:

This is very true.

Under Harris we have only lost a few times at home and always to teams that let us have the ball. The likes of Villa, Leeds, Forest, Derby, Norwich City etc who have come to win have all been beaten. The only club I can recall coming to Millwall to take us on and win are Sheffield United this season - they are a very, very good side. 

When the Blades came to AG earlier this season the first half was like watching  paint dry.........:sleeping:   Nether team looked like scoring. 

Second 45 was very different. LJ made two substitutions and they combined to make and score the winner.

Post match LJ explained that the stats showed that the Blades score more goals in the first half and he’d deliberately set up to stifle them first half - and it paid off.

34 minutes ago, Piccolo said:

I think somewhere on the post they admit that they got the 87 thing wrong, it's clear there were a lot more than that, one of those things that when said people take it as gospel and don't bother to check the facts, or fake news as a certain president would say.

12 minutes ago, Robbored said:

When the Blades came to AG earlier this season the first half was like watching  paint grow.....:sleeping:   Nether ream looked like scoring. 

Second 45 was very different. LJ made two substitutions and they combined to make and score the winner.

Post match LJ explained that the stats showed that the Blades score more goals in the first half and he’d deliberately set up to stifle them first half - and it paid off.

Hmmm

35 minutes ago, Piccolo said:

I was referring to social media. Have seen this kind of stuff creep in a lot over the past few years - ie fans making up stuff.

We not only get it about fan numbers, but about fan actions too. I remember when we played Sheffield Wednesday a few years back and an incident on a tram (someone kicked a door) turned into Millwall fans had attacked a tram full of families and overturned it. It spread so far and wide that even the likes of Micheal Vaughan commented on the disgraceful Millwall thugs. 

Rotherham fans had us attacking a man in a wheelchair and throwing them off a concourse.

And Barnsley fans have done a brilliant job of recasting their significant number of troublemakers at Wembley as 'innocent families' being chased by Millwall thugs. Erm, look at the pictures m'laud!! 

Every club has a small number of oxygen thieves attached to it .

The problem for Millwall was the TV documentary that got  these cretins into every home in the country .

It must also be added that the area around the Den was a breeding ground for hard men. 

Reputations are difficult to shift .

1 hour ago, Piccolo said:

This is very true.

There would be phases we would indeed dominate the ball IMO, but the way we went at last April played into your hands a bit.

Make you right about Sheffield United too- we went at them last May on final day, were 3 down within 35 mins! Our 4-4-2 vs their 3-5-2/3-5-1-1 gave them a good strong advantage, I remember our game there in December of last season- yes we won last minute and especially when they went down to 10 very good- but they did hit the woodwork 4 times so we were a little lucky it would be fair to say...

@Robbored quite right too about their game earlier in season- a big win for us, very happy with our performance and setup that day- I would disagree with his take about the first half, thought it was an absorbing tactical battle rather than dull but yeah it wasn't end to end.

1 hour ago, Piccolo said:

Poor old Wall eh....

The fact is a sizeable minority of your following are still at it in a far more organised and concerted manner than anyone else I can think of currently.

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

There are dodgy shades of our Gas friends in your post though ( thousands locked out no doubt ! ) 

They’re on the ropes .

That's ******* disgusting, I'm calling the police :laugh:

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

They’re on the ropes .

That's ******* disgusting, I'm calling the police :laugh:

4 hours ago, Super said:

Millwall are just one of those nightmare teams to play against as we found out at AG. If we get anything out of the game at the Den it will be a good result.

They certainly aren’t easy to play against as Derby found out, difficult to break down. 

Having said that I though Millwall were poor themselves when they got it most of the game too. The pitch though seemed to be difficult to keep your footing though. Nobody could turn quickly on it, always seemed unsure whether your feet would go from under you, hence a lot of passing the way you’re facing. 

6 hours ago, Piccolo said:

I read that it was 87 on Facebook, and rather stupidly didn't bother to check before I posted it on here... 

Apologies... 

Archived