IGNORED

The end of Coventry City?

phantom

• Admin

Facing homelessness next season as they have failed to secure a deal for the Ricoh Arena, Coventry City could be expelled from the league if they fail to demonstrate progress towards a new ground to the EFL board.

The league has written to the club and given them until April 25th to secure a ground for next season- if they fail to do so a general meeting of the clubs will consider expulsion. 

The Sky Blues Trust said: "This is seriously alarming - but not surprising - news." "The Trust has been warning about imminent homelessness of Coventry City FC for some time. "The latest statement from the EFL means that our home game versus Shrewsbury Town at the Ricoh Arena on Sunday 28 April may be our last game in Coventry - not just for the 2018/19 season but for ever. "To avert this rapidly approaching disaster, the Trust calls upon SISU to put an end to all court action involving Wasps and Coventry City Council, to enable urgent discussions to take place over future use of the Ricoh Arena by CCFC."

The Sky Blues’ unpopular owners, SISU, have failed to secure an agreement to play at the Ricoh Arena for the second season in a row and remain locked in a legal dispute with the stadium owners – putting the club’s EFL status at risk. SISU has launched legal action against the Ricoh Arena’s owner, Wasps Rugby Club, with Wasps refusing to provide a new tenancy agreement while litigation is ongoing.

SISU are now being urged to drop the case by multiple stakeholders and must demonstrate progress on securing a ground to the EFL at a meeting next month. EFL chief executive Shaun Harvey said: “The matter of Coventry City’s efforts to secure a home venue for 2019/20 season and beyond has been a serious concern for all parties for a significant period of time and the objective of the EFL, as it has always been, is to secure an appropriate solution for the long-term future of the Club as they are a much valued member of our competition.

“The course of action taken this week is with reluctance, but the League has to ensure the integrity of our competitions is maintained and all Clubs meet the obligations that come with being a member of the EFL. “We remain in regular dialogue with the Club and will provide all practical available assistance in line with EFL Regulations.”

4 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

There are a whole host of clubs in the surrounding areas that would likely be grateful of the revenues of a ground share. 

Northampton was a ridiculous solutions, but there must be plenty of other viable options. 

Agreed - Only 17 miles from the centre of Coventry to St Andrews.

Horrible state.

Sisu have a lot to answer for, i lived in Coventry i was born there, what they have done is a disgrace.

Tried to bully people, took legal action against a Charity and the council, totally burnt  bridges with people it really needed to have good relationships with.

CCFC really could go under, they arent allowed to ground share apparently, so its the Ricoh or nothing.

9 minutes ago, Cjay said:

Horrible state.

Sisu have a lot to answer for, i lived in Coventry i was born there, what they have done is a disgrace.

Tried to bully people, took legal action against a Charity and the council, totally burnt  bridges with people it really needed to have good relationships with.

CCFC really could go under, they arent allowed to ground share apparently, so its the Ricoh or nothing.

How can they not ground share ? What's the reason for this , seems very strange.

48 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

How can they not ground share ? What's the reason for this , seems very strange.

The EFL wont give the club permission to groundshare outside of the City again. 

So a groundshare isnt out of the question, but options are very limited.

Besides that the fans hated it the last time, bit of a trek to Northampton.

1 hour ago, Chris_Brown said:

I thought I'd read that they were not allowed to play outside of Coventry again? Maybe I imagined that

That was explained on here some time back. The EFL  has announced clubs must play in their home town / area.

5 minutes ago, 22A said:

That was explained on here some time back. The EFL  has announced clubs must play in their home town / area.

Where was that rule during the Wimbledon/ MK Francise debacle.

The EFL should be looking to safeguard their members, I would suggest a groundshare at Welford Road in Leicester

As I understand it:

Wasps Rugby bought a share of the ground from the charity that jointly owned the ground with the council. The council ha've transferred their stake into some kind of 99 year lease to Wasps - so Wasps basically own/control the ground.

CCFC owners SISU are not happy as they feel Wasps had preferential treatment (SISU wanted to buy the ground on the cheap - so they could sell the club and ground at a profit and cash out) SISU are a hedge fund, don't care about football, don't attend games.  SISU are suing Wasps.

Wasps won't offer a tenancy to CCFC while they are being sued. Drop the legal action and a tenancy will be provided.

SISU won't drop the action ( they only want to cash out with as much £ as possible) arguing CCFC & SISU are separate entities.....however the same person. - can't remember the name - sits on the board of both CCFC & SISU. 

Meanwhile fans face losing their club.

The beautiful game eh?

5 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

As I understand it:

Wasps Rugby bought a share of the ground from the charity that jointly owned the ground with the council. The council ha've transferred their stake into some kind of 99 year lease to Wasps - so Wasps basically own/control the ground.

CCFC owners SISU are not happy as they feel Wasps had preferential treatment (SISU wanted to buy the ground on the cheap - so they could sell the club and ground at a profit and cash out) SISU are a hedge fund, don't care about football, don't attend games.  SISU are suing Wasps.

Wasps won't offer a tenancy to CCFC while they are being sued. Drop the legal action and a tenancy will be provided.

SISU won't drop the action ( they only want to cash out with as much £ as possible) arguing CCFC & SISU are separate entities.....however the same person. - can't remember the name - sits on the board of both CCFC & SISU. 

The beautiful game eh?

As someone else said, be thankful for what we have, it could be so, so much worse.

17 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Thats interesting so the Gas couldn't move away whilst the Stade Du Mem is being rebuilt then ?

I expect it would be allowed for a temporary period for a rebuild - not that that shower are going to be doing that any time soon - but what the rule does appear to do is prevent them sharing permanently with (and subsequently stealing the ground from) FGR, Cheltenham, Bath or anyone else outside the city.

They`ll be bollixed when Wally finally sells the mem for housing and throws them out - no-one within the city boundaries is going to want them.

I`d love them to come crawling to us just so`s we could tell them to **** off.

1 hour ago, CodeRed said:

As I understand it:

The beautiful game eh?

The legal action i seem to remember is a bit messy.

The club have always insisted they arent involved directly and not liable for legal costs.

The current Chairman of Coventry FC is Tim Fisher.

The court case was brought in the name of OEG which apparently is CCFC in legal speak.

And SBSL.

Tim Fisher is the sole director of OEG and joint director of SBSL with another SISU appointee, its all very messy.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2018/oct/23/coventry-city-sisu-homeless-future-wasps-ricoh-stadium

1 hour ago, CodeRed said:

As I understand it:

The beautiful game eh?

From memory Wasps invited Coventry to go halves with them on the purchase. SISU rejected the offer. 

Archived