IGNORED

Hernanndez Handball

maxjak

West Ham  equalised against Fulham this evening with a blatant handball goal, with No VAR the goal stood.........should Hernandez receive any retrospecttive punishmentt for unsporting behavior or is it just the way it goes?  If VAR was present the goal would  have been scrubbed, and Hernandez booked for deliberate handball.............what's the opinion? I doubt anyone will agree with me, but i believe Hernandez should get a 3 game ban for cheating.....but thats just me  ?

10 minutes ago, maxjak said:

West Ham  equalised against Fulham this evening with a blatant handball goal, with No VAR the goal stood.........should Hernandez receive any retrospecttive punishmentt for unsporting behavior or is it just the way it goes?  If VAR was present the goal would  have been scrubbed, and Hernandez booked for deliberate handball.............what's the opinion? I doubt anyone will agree with me, but i believe Hernandez should get a 3 game ban for cheating.....but thats just me  ?

It was an instinctive hand ball rather than deliberate imo. He didn't really celebrate and rightly so. I suppose he could have owned up to it, but he would have got pelters from his manager.

I'm not sure that he'll get retrospective punishment but if Fulham lose he should do in all fairness.

Mason is a shite ref but from his position I don't think he could have denied the goal and there probably wouldn't have been any grounds to go to VAR other than protests from Fulham and there weren't too many at the time.

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Where was VAR when needed?   

That handball goal was a good example of why it should be used.

As I understand it, it is only used if the Ref is unsure of a decision ?

Mason wouldn't have been unsure of that decision and the Fulham players didn't kick up a fuss...

Or can the VAR officials intervene ?

15 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Where was VAR when needed?   

That handball goal was a good example of why it should be used.

Why?  Not been used for over a century why change the rules now?

My only grumble is if VAR has to be used it’s consistent.  Personally I hate it and hope it ***** off.

7 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

As I understand it, it is only used if the Ref is unsure of a decision ?

Mason wouldn't have been unsure of that decision and the Fulham players didn't kick up a fuss...

Or can the VAR officials intervene ?

No, it checks ALL goals, pens and possible red cards, I believe.

2 minutes ago, RumRed said:

Why?  not been used for over a century why change the rules now?

My only grumble is if VAR has to be used it’s consistent.  Personally I hate it and hope it ***** off.

The goal was handball - blatantly. The ref didn’t see it because of the angle of his vision.

Any Fulham supporter will be quite rightly feel cheated and that’s a horrible feeling for any fan.

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The goal was handball - blatantly. The ref didn’t see it because of the angle of his vision.

Any Fulham supporter will be quite rightly feel cheated and that’s a horrible feeling for any fan.

Not sure in this case it is cheating. Choochy face is trying to head it, but his hand happened to get in the way.

Still waiting for any player to come clean, go to the ref and say heeey,   this shouldn't stand.

Not seen it, but my opinion is VAR should be at every game or none at all. At certain FA cup games someone gets sent off due to VAR and gets banned, yet if the game had no VAR he has no ban, and the rest of the fixtures have no VAR. The whole game is a complete farce at the moment, either VAR is used for an "obvious or deliberate" foul or not. All this slow motioning a handball in the box is pathetic, no common sense  is being used at all.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

That’s bloody football and has been for over god knows how many years,take the rough with the smooth and you move on

9 hours ago, wood_red said:

Not seen it, but my opinion is VAR should be at every game or none at all. At certain FA cup games someone gets sent off due to VAR and gets banned, yet if the game had no VAR he has no ban, and the rest of the fixtures have no VAR. The whole game is a complete farce at the moment, either VAR is used for an "obvious or deliberate" foul or not. All this slow motioning a handball in the box is pathetic, no common sense  is being used at all.

Well based on the video evidence, VAR would have given us a penalty against Wolves on Sunday for Doherrty's handball, which was blatant but missed by Martin Atkinson (who is a darned sight better than Lee Mason). I agree that the frustration is the inconsistency of it being used in some matches but not all, and from what can later be seen by everyone on TV highlights is that it would have given a goal, penalty or red card, so potentially changing the match.

11 hours ago, RumRed said:

Why?  Not been used for over a century why change the rules now?

Not sure 'it's always been like this' is a valid grounds for not making positive change. I have loads of issues with VAR in its current guise but I don't think it should be dismissed on the grounds of 'we've always got stuff wrong' ! 

10 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

That’s bloody football and has been for over god knows how many years,take the rough with the smooth and you move on

Back in the 70s and 80s that was the case, as,  by and large, there was relatively little diving and simulation, there was a good degree of respect for referees and decisions were accepted  and after match punditry was much less "invasive".

Since the advent of the premier league that has all changed.

Diving, simulation and general skullduggery by players is an everyday part of every game, and because of the pace of the modern game, it makes the referees job much more difficult than it was 20/30 years ago. Secondly, television coverage has changed, almost beyond recognition. They can now replay an incident from multiple angles and in super slo mo, giving the pundits a massive advantage over the poor ref, who has  a split second, in real time and at full speed, to make his judgement. In many games, there seems to be more time spent reviewing "controversial" incidents than the game itself. Thirdly, there is so much money involved that a refereeing" mistake" can have big consequences for clubs, so that much more is made of any mistakes that are identified.

During the last 30 years players' and managers' attitude towards match officials has changed so there is much less respect for them and their decisions - whether because of the money and pressure in the game or because more mistakes are identified I don't know. Because of all these factors, I think VAR will have to happen and if players and manager ( and fans) don't like it, the the only alternative would be to cut out diving, simulation ie. tryingto con the referee, show more respect to referees and accept their decisions without a posse of players trying to force him to change the decision. As the governing bodies have consistently shown they are unwilling to tackle the latter , then VAR seems the only way forward.

By the way, I can't stand VAR and it seems as unreliable as not having it, as evidenced by the Chelsea Man U cup game this week. Replays showed Luiz having a chunk ripped out of his shirt by s defender holding  him in the penalty area at an attacking corner - a clear penalty. The commentator said that it would be reviewed by VAR ad wondered what they would make of it, but they made absolutely nothing of it! 

19 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Back in the 70s and 80s that was the case, as,  by and large, there was relatively little diving and simulation, there was a good degree of respect for referees and decisions were accepted  and after match punditry was much less "invasive".

Since the advent of the premier league that has all changed.

Diving, simulation and general skullduggery by players is an everyday part of every game, and because of the pace of the modern game, it makes the referees job much more difficult than it was 20/30 years ago. Secondly, television coverage has changed, almost beyond recognition. They can now replay an incident from multiple angles and in super slo mo, giving the pundits a massive advantage over the poor ref, who has  a split second, in real time and at full speed, to make his judgement. In many games, there seems to be more time spent reviewing "controversial" incidents than the game itself. Thirdly, there is so much money involved that a refereeing" mistake" can have big consequences for clubs, so that much more is made of any mistakes that are identified.

During the last 30 years players' and managers' attitude towards match officials has changed so there is much less respect for them and their decisions - whether because of the money and pressure in the game or because more mistakes are identified I don't know. Because of all these factors, I think VAR will have to happen and if players and manager ( and fans) don't like it, the the only alternative would be to cut out diving, simulation ie. tryingto con the referee, show more respect to referees and accept their decisions without a posse of players trying to force him to change the decision. As the governing bodies have consistently shown they are unwilling to tackle the latter , then VAR seems the only way forward.

By the way, I can't stand VAR and it seems as unreliable as not having it, as evidenced by the Chelsea Man U cup game this week. Replays showed Luiz having a chunk ripped out of his shirt by s defender holding  him in the penalty area at an attacking corner - a clear penalty. The commentator said that it would be reviewed by VAR ad wondered what they would make of it, but they made absolutely nothing of it! 

Excellent well made points Downend.

One added comment - for those of a certain age many of us will remember the likes of Francis Lee and Rodney Marsh who were infamous for winning ‘dodgy’ penalties......These days they’d be called divers.......It’s always been a factor in the game but these days it’s become more prevalent due to the massive increase in live TV games and (dare I say it) the huge influx of foreign players many of who in their home countries see conning the referee as a perfectly acceptable part of the game and when they get lambasted over here for doing it they soon stop doing it.

52 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Not sure 'it's always been like this' is a valid grounds for not making positive change. I have loads of issues with VAR in its current guise but I don't think it should be dismissed on the grounds of 'we've always got stuff wrong' ! 

Goal line technology I approve of as the ball is over the line or it’s not.  VAR is just passing the interpretation of an event to someone else.  It’s the interpretation that’s still under scrutiny at the end of the match.  Don’t like it myself but each to their own.

1 hour ago, Alex_BCFC said:

VAR is a joke. Not consistent and going to wreck a lot of the emotion of celebrating a goal. They should leave it at goal line technology which works well and never had any controversy.

Agree.  Far more better things to work on like time wasting, etc. 

Archived