IGNORED

Ashton Gate Concert Capacity Increased

Lrrr

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-47331068

Ashton Gate Stadium has been given permission to seat thousands more concert-goers.

The venue has had a 4,000 rise in its maximum capacity for big concerts in the stadium bowl, to 34,000 people.

However, residents raised concerns about parking which is already an issue for people living close to the home of Bristol City FC.

But Bristol City Council licensing committee was reassured by the stadium's traffic management plans.

Ashton Gate Limited was granted a licence last October to host five "large-scale concerts" in the stadium bowl per year - including Take That and the Spice Girls this summer.

The license was for a maximum capacity of 30,000 gig-goers and staff but that was extended by the licensing committee.

'Open for business'

The Local Democracy Reporting Service said Mark Kelly, the managing director of Ashton Gate, described 34,000 as the "sweet spot" to attract large gigs to the venue.

"We're not trying to get rich out of this," he said. "This is about bringing events to the city.

"This is about employment, it's about the economy, it's about the perception of being open for business.

"Bristol has to be seen to be open for business."

Ashton Gate estimates the number of parking spaces available beyond the residential streets around the stadium is "way in excess" of what will be needed.

Event manager Katie Griffin said she thought it would be possible to clear the stadium of people in "40 minutes tops".

Mr Kelly said the first of the big concerts, Rod Stewart on 27 May, was the smallest and would act as a "great test" for the bigger concerts to follow.

14 minutes ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

Can get out without issue in 5 mins at Full time whistle.

imagine they’ll open up the corner between Atyeo and Dolman and let the people standing go out there. If anything I would say 40 mins is exaggerated 

I think this will happen. The thing that delays people from leaving at football is the sports bar and the concourse outlets are still open, or a few of them are and people are encouraged to hang around and the tv screens are usually on. I guess everything will be closed after the concert, or hospitality only in the Sports Bar and most people will be encouraged to leave.

People also want to go to the loo after standing for hours at a concert. At Swansea where I saw Take That and The Killers for example they had portaloos in the car parks because if you were pitch standing you didn’t have access to the concourses, I guess we will do similar.

Archived