IGNORED

COD (Messi)

Kevin Brady

Great goal. Thought he lacked a bit of effort on their last two goals. Maybe a bit harsh but how I remember the goals.

First let the player get by very easily in the moments before the goal.

Second he just had to go to the ball and clear it but looked like he let it run to perhaps turn and counter.

Thought we were a bit too cute around our box and trying to play out. Played into their hands. Felt like we dropped the points more than Norwich earned them. Should have at least drew today. 

His skill, strength and confidence all down to the coaching staff of BCFC as CoD was a million miles from a full international when he arrived from Oxford. Cant recall if Mark Ashton had something to do with the deal but he will go be one of the ever-growing list of successes this club has taken a punt on and then developed. Also one of many who have proved otib posters wrong. Well done to all concerned, just hope he stays fit and scoring til May.

1 hour ago, Hampshire Red said:

His skill, strength and confidence all down to the coaching staff of BCFC as CoD was a million miles from a full international when he arrived from Oxford. Cant recall if Mark Ashton had something to do with the deal but he will go be one of the ever-growing list of successes this club has taken a punt on and then developed. Also one of many who have proved otib posters wrong. Well done to all concerned, just hope he stays fit and scoring til May.

HR, I think you will find that Callum was in and around the Ireland set up long before Bristol signed him. He was also linked with Birmingham and Villa so hardly a punt by us - more a shrewd bit of business by Mr Ashton who will have known the lad from his Oxford United days. 

More strikingly, Ive just listen to LJ's post match. He digs out Callum for letting a player drift by him for their second goal and even says "so his Messi goal is cancelled out in my opinion" Right or wrong (very harsh IMO), I can't help wondering if comments like these are wise at a time when we are keen to see Callum sign a new deal? 

1 hour ago, Jack Bailey said:

HR, I think you will find that Callum was in and around the Ireland set up long before Bristol signed him. He was also linked with Birmingham and Villa so hardly a punt by us - more a shrewd bit of business by Mr Ashton who will have known the lad from his Oxford United days. 

More strikingly, Ive just listen to LJ's post match. He digs out Callum for letting a player drift by him for their second goal and even says "so his Messi goal is cancelled out in my opinion" Right or wrong (very harsh IMO), I can't help wondering if comments like these are wise at a time when we are keen to see Callum sign a new deal? 

For all you say in your first para he was widely written off by those who don't have the patience to give players time to adapt and develop. Much the same was said about Niclas.

So it was indeed good business followed by good coaching, plus hard work by the player himself.

I suspect the club has already been told he won't be signing a new contract though. I hope I am wrong of course.

For me... generally I don’t think he does enough in games, or effect games enough ... however that goal is exactly what someone of his skill and pace should be doing more frequently... It was class ... rather than checking back each time, terrorise the box with pace, make the defenders think twice about putting a foot in ...  

4 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

He made his full international debut for the RoI team before he joined us, so he wasn’t really ‘a million miles away’...and I can’t recall him being dismissed by OTIB when he joined, but surely any signing will divide opinion? 

@Jack Bailey bet you’ve been waiting for my reply.  ?

Was a fine goal, nice composed side foot finish.  Lots of positives first half today...although I only caught the second 20 minutes on a stream, first 25 on radio.

I think a few posters above have given you comments on the less positive aspects of yesterday.  I don’t think LJ’s 2 or 3 weren’t doing it yesterday was aimed at Callum...I actually think it was the overall team that lost its way a bit.

It is that balance between the really good stuff and the not so good stuff that tells me he has still a bit of work to do to be up there with the top 3/4/5 in this City side.  Never doubted he has ability, but just like Brownhill last season, who also did good things but also not do good things, hopefully he will come to the fore in time.

For me he would be better off staying here, signing a new deal, than going somewhere else, especially the Prem, where he isn’t gonna get the level of minutes he does here.  Too many players jump at the first sniff and then stall.  At 23, he can’t afford to stall, like a 20 year old can.  If he’s getting international recognition whilst at City, what’s the rush?  Out of interest do you think McCarthy will pick him 1) in squad 2) in starting line-up?  He should do 1), we’ll have to see about 2).

You could of course just think I have a one dimensional view of COD...I don’t....and nor do several posters above.  He is progressing well, but not the finished article yet.

6 hours ago, chinapig said:

I suspect the club has already been told he won't be signing a new contract though. I hope I am wrong of course.

IF LJ knew COD was definitely not signing I think he would be focusing on his positives in public. We would want to bump up the price if possible.

So that makes me think they are trying to keep his feet on the ground. Both for the run in and to try and persuade him that he isn't as good as he thinks, so maybe the deal we're offering is a fair one.

Cod is back to his best after having having a injury hit stop and start to the season. He really works hard and his link up play espcially with paterson has been our main attacking outlet in our long unbeaten run . 

He is wasted as a full back and its easy in hindsight but i think we should kept the same shape bring eliasson on and let cod play behind the striker as he really was finding space when pressing norwich first half . 

Archived