IGNORED

Match Report: City out-class divisions best & proud despite defeat

Olé

Losing is not a habit for City but twice in a week now we have walked away from a defeat with our heads held high and proud of our efforts - and today is no exception.

City dominated league leaders Norwich for nearly an hour and were well worth a point having laid down a marker for the rest of the division - only to lose the game.

Norwich, slick in forward positions as they bombed up on the break via long balls to Hernandez, were second best to confident City until the hosts decisive purple patch.

It needed Norwich to start diving all over the place and waiting for perennially poor ref Gavin Ward to indulge them, before the home side found belated joy on the break.

Until then City had dominated yet another classy away performance, controlling long periods of possession and well worth not one but two go-ahead goals first half. 

An end to end match started tamely, ten minutes until the visitors, the more confident side, fashioned a first shot, Brownhill lashing over after good work by O'Dowda.

Minutes later City went in front as Wright stepped up to intercept, and Diedhiou ran at their back line before slipping Paterson clear from the right to lash into the goal.

It was all City and on 20 they cut a well worked path through the hosts, Brownhill slipped in behind the last man, a penalty shout as he tumbled with keeper to beat.

Norwich's first chance followed, Brownhill caught in possession, a quick ball putting Hernandez clear on the left, his shot blocked and Pukki poking wide the rebound.

Against the run of play Norwich finally had some threat and on 26 Hernandez steered a shot over inside the box after a long ball had found Pukki in space left of goal.

A minute later it was City on the front foot, Kalas winning a big header in midfield, setting Paterson away in front of defence to steer a low shot on goal well saved.

Through the half hour it was all City, the in form away side camped on the Norwich right wing for several minutes, from which Paterson swept a freekick in to the keeper.

Fittingly, rampant City robbed Norwich in midfield next and Pack left his opposite number for dead on a barnstorming break, failing to feed O'Dowda's diagonal run.

So it was a surprise when Norwich got an unlikely equaliser. Pukki this time provider on the left of the box, cutting it back for McLean to fire unerringly past Fielding 

So far silent, pockets of Norwich fans, to that point cowed by a noisy away end, got on their feet to wave and blow kisses. This backfired spectacularly right behind them.

Unbeknowned to them, City fed O'Dowda from kick off and he produced the goal of the season, skipping past three defenders before lasering into the bottom corner.

Grand opening grand closing.. Norwich is a quiet place and only gets going if it is going well. It wasn't. City saw out the half albeit ref Ward threw decisions their way.

Amazingly City came out second half still well worth their lead, taking it to Norwich, both Diedhiou and Paterson having deep shots blocked after O'Dowda made space.

You'll always take head injuries seriously but Norwich showed in their recent local derby with Ipswich how easily they will go down and that was their route back into it.

Zimmerman, who would go on to expect 3 separate breaks in play, went down with a head injury as City pressed, and decisively it allowed the hosts to stem the City tide.

From then on Norwich finally got to settle into their own game and after 53 Aarons forced Fielding to beat a shot away at his near post off a shot from the right.

Inevitably they levelled, it took a sustained spell of pressure from a corner, desperate City blocks and a Fielding save failing to clear our lines, Godfrey finally turning in. 

Once again City illustrated why they were the better side, in total control in midfield where Pack looked up to thread a pass in on goal, Weimann looping over first time.  

On the hour as evidence of our continued attacking intent Wright (of all people) got to the byline and cut back for Weimann to square, Pack's low shot to be tipped wide.

From a right wing corner City's first ball was cleared, Kalas met the rebound full on with a bullet header that flashed just wide of the near post. Still the visitors on top.

Increasingly ref Ward was letting the hosts break up City fluidity to allow the hosts to bomb on and on 64 Hernandez forced a reflex save with a stunning far post volley.

Seconds later the standout winger danced through City defenders almost at will but a low shot was tame and easy for Fielding. Suddenly, tellingly, City were in disarray.

Minutes later it told as the hosts raced to a first lead. Sustained pressure told as the home side built around the box, McLean with space and time to curl in from range.

City weren't finished and O'Dowda met an overhit far post ball with a volley, flashed across goal, while increasingly dangerous Norwich hit the crossbar via Stiepermamn.

By now City had thrown on all three subs in one go for some energy after their hard work and press had gone flat, but it was Palmer again who would look profligate.

Yet City should have tied it up, on 82 - and against his old side - surprise sub Marley Watkins turned over at point blank range at the far post when it was easier to score.

A minute later Weimann headed straight at home keeper Krul, but in truth City by now were running on empty and Norwich made light work of the final ten minutes.

As with Wolves Fielding attended a late corner, but what it really had in common was that City were at worst the equals of their high flying opponents, a fine marker.

League and cup runs over, normally City collapse into an alternative run of futility, but having outplayed Norwich for an hour, they're clearly ready for much much more.

Fielding 7 Some fantastic reflex saves but perhaps unsighted for the winner

Wright 6 He alone made our first goal but his positioning was exposed by Hernandez

Webster 7 Usual stuff for him and one fine attacking run late on with two bites of the cherry

Kalas 8 Continues to be on a massive run to displace his partner for POTY - faultless at both ends bar one mix up with Fielding 

Da Silva 6 Started well and never disgraced but less of an impact going forward 

Pack 7 A few sublime moments and in this sort of game where we had players in space in their half repeatedly, his role was crucial

Brownhill 6 Tireless without the ball, felt he was loose with the ball several times, we didn't hold onto the ball as well as we can

Paterson 7 A constant nuisance and close to man of the match (if not for Callum) and given no protection by the ref

O'Dowda 8 Started hesitantly but when he got going the best player on the pitch and his guile, determination and control much needed against a side gagging for fouls 

Weimann 6 Lots and lots of hard work and hard runs with very few chances for glory

Diedhiou 7 Unfairly treated by some City fans, by no means perfect but I thought he had some great hold up touches and made our goals.

Taylor 6 Never really got in the game as our treble sub had little chance to settle

Palmer 5 Very much in show pony territory now rather than wife-pimp - in Goodridge leagues now of over-complication - yes it causes problems but more often than not it gives the ball away

Watkins 6 Amazed he got off the bench before Eliasson which highlights the City squad depth, yes he offered physicality that was needed, but he was hit and miss and looked like he missed a sitter

Take none of this as negative: for me WBA is the best team I've seen but clearly Norwich are the best in the division and at WORST we matched them. This team is going places.   

I did say I'd be in Germany and miss today but the way City are playing I cannot miss a thing. I switched my plans last minute to ensure I saw us lay down a marker.

We can easily compete with ANYONE in this division (for me Norwich are the best but a little cynical and Germanic) and the O'Dowda goal was simply unforgettable.

Thought Norwich were worth their win in the end. Were cutting us open at times in second half and are clearly champions in waiting in my opinion. However thought our boys put in tremendous effort, were positive and played some decent football especially first half. 

Walking from the ground up the hill to the City Hall car park, me and my son were stopped 3 times by Norwich fans who took the trouble to inform us that they thought we were the best team to play them this season. They were so happy at my son having Webster's name on his back though!. 

As away defeats go ranks up there with there with the West Brom game. Hard to feel too disappointed by positive efforts and performances all round.

1 hour ago, RUMNEY RED said:

Thought Norwich were worth their win in the end. Were cutting us open at times in second half and are clearly champions in waiting in my opinion. However thought our boys put in tremendous effort, were positive and played some decent football especially first half. 

Walking from the ground up the hill to the City Hall car park, me and my son were stopped 3 times by Norwich fans who took the trouble to inform us that they thought we were the best team to play them this season although our supporters are nowhere near as plucky, loud and loyal as everyone's favourite Bristol team in the famous blue and white quarters. They were so happy at my son having Webster's name on his back though!. 

As away defeats go ranks up there with there with the West Brom game. Hard to feel too disappointed by positive efforts and performances all round.

Amended for accuracy.

A superb summary Ole

Wright on Hernandez was a complete mis-match and LJ should have gripped this much earlier in the game. Not only was Bailey givinng the lad far too much room to patrol all of the wide left areas, he was too ponderous in closing him down when he did get the ball - which was pretty much part of every Norwich phase of play. Hernandez appeared to be one of the quickest Norwich players, Bailey arguably the slowest of ours. For me, this was our blindingly obvious weak spot for the full 90 mins

Yep a good performance from City .

Agree about BW their winger had him on toast a big mismatch and I hope that Hunt is back Tuesday night as , prior to his injury, he was looking at his best. 

O’Dowda just added a couple of million to his value with that ‘ John Barnesque ‘ goal and I’ll be very surprised if he’s here next season.

All in all , no shame that we gave the Division leaders a scare and a good match but that they won it in the end is the sign of Champions.

Good luck to them .

On to Brum and another performance like yesterday’s should see us get  another victory to help cement our playoff place.

Well done to all for an entertaining game.

Thanks @Olé and glad you were able to make it! It was certainly a cracking game of football; going forward Norwich are some team, and if we could finish like them we'd be promoted already! 

Like @RUMNEY RED, we couldn't get back to the car for being stopped by Norwich fans to tell us what a good side we are. As I've posted on his thread, they picked out Diedhiou above others: strange when we'd spent the game listening to City fans clearly a lot less impressed! 

For me, you've picked out a key moment in the game, when Zimmerman went down for the first time. We were having a great spell and looking like we had another goal in us at that stage, and it was a long break that totally took away the momentum we had. Plus, we were in a great position when the idiot who passed himself off as a referee blew up, and from the restart we ended up giving away a throw in on the half way line! I'd probably not blame Ward for stopping the game to be fair, but it certainly was a key moment.

I don't want us to turn into a Preston, but I do wonder whether we couldn't be a little more canny at times. They had spells of sustained pressure and momentum leading up to at least two of their goals. Why didn't we go down with a head injury?

Scores: think you're generous to Wright, and possibly Dasilva. The former certainly didn't deserve the same as Weiman in my book! They are a fabulous team down both flanks, but Wright really struggled, and most of their threat came from there. 

Also, whilst COD's goal possibly added two points alone, I can't help but agree with a comment @Major Isewater had made elsewhere, that he seemed to settle back and live on that goal for much of the rest of the game. 

5 for Palmer seems a little low! I know exactly what you mean about him giving the ball away, although by that stage of the game we were in chance taking territory and he maybe tried things he wouldn't have done otherwise. But what I think he does give us, that we haven't got elsewhere, is that ball forward at speed to someone who makes a good run. He did it a couple of times, and it gives us the pace and inciciveness going forward that we sometimes lack. We can over complicate things, or slow them down, or take one touch too many before passing. He can be much quicker, but problem is that the likes of Weiman who make those good runs were tiring by then. Nevertheless, I didn't feel he deserved a lower score than Taylor who, for me, was anonymous and offered nothing. 

Great write up as usual though!

9 hours ago, Olé said:

Losing is not a habit for City but twice in a week now we have walked away from a defeat with our heads held high and proud of our efforts - and today is no exception.

City dominated league leaders Norwich for nearly an hour and were well worth a point having laid down a marker for the rest of the division - only to lose the game.

Norwich, slick in forward positions as they bombed up on the break via long balls to Hernandez, were second best to confident City until the hosts decisive purple patch.

It needed Norwich to start diving all over the place and waiting for perennially poor ref Gavin Ward to indulge them, before the home side found belated joy on the break.

Until then City had dominated yet another classy away performance, controlling long periods of possession and well worth not one but two go-ahead goals first half. 

An end to end match started tamely, ten minutes until the visitors, the more confident side, fashioned a first shot, Brownhill lashing over after good work by O'Dowda.

Minutes later City went in front as Wright stepped up to intercept, and Diedhiou ran at their back line before slipping Paterson clear from the right to lash into the goal.

It was all City and on 20 they cut a well worked path through the hosts, Brownhill slipped in behind the last man, a penalty shout as he tumbled with keeper to beat.

Norwich's first chance followed, Brownhill caught in possession, a quick ball putting Hernandez clear on the left, his shot blocked and Pukki poking wide the rebound.

Against the run of play Norwich finally had some threat and on 26 Hernandez steered a shot over inside the box after a long ball had found Pukki in space left of goal.

A minute later it was City on the front foot, Kalas winning a big header in midfield, setting Paterson away in front of defence to steer a low shot on goal well saved.

Through the half hour it was all City, the in form away side camped on the Norwich right wing for several minutes, from which Paterson swept a freekick in to the keeper.

Fittingly, rampant City robbed Norwich in midfield next and Pack left his opposite number for dead on a barnstorming break, failing to feed O'Dowda's diagonal run.

So it was a surprise when Norwich got an unlikely equaliser. Pukki this time provider on the left of the box, cutting it back for McLean to fire unerringly past Fielding 

So far silent, pockets of Norwich fans, to that point cowed by a noisy away end, got on their feet to wave and blow kisses. This backfired spectacularly right behind them.

Unbeknowned to them, City fed O'Dowda from kick off and he produced the goal of the season, skipping past three defenders before lasering into the bottom corner.

Grand opening grand closing.. Norwich is a quiet place and only gets going if it is going well. It wasn't. City saw out the half albeit ref Ward threw decisions their way.

Amazingly City came out second half still well worth their lead, taking it to Norwich, both Diedhiou and Paterson having deep shots blocked after O'Dowda made space.

You'll always take head injuries seriously but Norwich showed in their recent local derby with Ipswich how easily they will go down and that was their route back into it.

Zimmerman, who would go on to expect 3 separate breaks in play, went down with a head injury as City pressed, and decisively it allowed the hosts to stem the City tide.

From then on Norwich finally got to settle into their own game and after 53 Aarons forced Fielding to beat a shot away at his near post off a shot from the right.

Inevitably they levelled, it took a sustained spell of pressure from a corner, desperate City blocks and a Fielding save failing to clear our lines, Godfrey finally turning in. 

Once again City illustrated why they were the better side, in total control in midfield where Pack looked up to thread a pass in on goal, Weimann looping over first time.  

On the hour as evidence of our continued attacking intent Wright (of all people) got to the byline and cut back for Weimann to square, Pack's low shot to be tipped wide.

From a right wing corner City's first ball was cleared, Kalas met the rebound full on with a bullet header that flashed just wide of the near post. Still the visitors on top.

Increasingly ref Ward was letting the hosts break up City fluidity to allow the hosts to bomb on and on 64 Hernandez forced a reflex save with a stunning far post volley.

Seconds later the standout winger danced through City defenders almost at will but a low shot was tame and easy for Fielding. Suddenly, tellingly, City were in disarray.

Minutes later it told as the hosts raced to a first lead. Sustained pressure told as the home side built around the box, McLean with space and time to curl in from range.

City weren't finished and O'Dowda met an overhit far post ball with a volley, flashed across goal, while increasingly dangerous Norwich hit the crossbar via Stiepermamn.

By now City had thrown on all three subs in one go for some energy after their hard work and press had gone flat, but it was Palmer again who would look profligate.

Yet City should have tied it up, on 82 - and against his old side - surprise sub Marley Watkins turned over at point blank range at the far post when it was easier to score.

A minute later Weimann headed straight at home keeper Krul, but in truth City by now were running on empty and Norwich made light work of the final ten minutes.

As with Wolves Fielding attended a late corner, but what it really had in common was that City were at worst the equals of their high flying opponents, a fine marker.

League and cup runs over, normally City collapse into an alternative run of futility, but having outplayed Norwich for an hour, they're clearly ready for much much more.

Fielding 7 Some fantastic reflex saves but perhaps unsighted for the winner

Wright 6 He alone made our first goal but his positioning was exposed by Hernandez

Webster 7 Usual stuff for him and one fine attacking run late on with two bites of the cherry

Kalas 8 Continues to be on a massive run to displace his partner for POTY - faultless at both ends bar one mix up with Fielding 

Da Silva 6 Started well and never disgraced but less of an impact going forward 

Pack 7 A few sublime moments and in this sort of game where we had players in space in their half repeatedly, his role was crucial

Brownhill 6 Tireless without the ball, felt he was loose with the ball several times, we didn't hold onto the ball as well as we can

Paterson 7 A constant nuisance and close to man of the match (if not for Callum) and given no protection by the ref

O'Dowda 8 Started hesitantly but when he got going the best player on the pitch and his guile, determination and control much needed against a side gagging for fouls 

Weimann 6 Lots and lots of hard work and hard runs with very few chances for glory

Diedhiou 7 Unfairly treated by some City fans, by no means perfect but I thought he had some great hold up touches and made our goals.

Taylor 6 Never really got in the game as our treble sub had little chance to settle

Palmer 5 Very much in show pony territory now rather than wife-pimp - in Goodridge leagues now of over-complication - yes it causes problems but more often than not it gives the ball away

Watkins 6 Amazed he got off the bench before Eliasson which highlights the City squad depth, yes he offered physicality that was needed, but he was hit and miss and looked like he missed a sitter

Take none of this as negative: for me WBA is the best team I've seen but clearly Norwich are the best in the division and at WORST we matched them. This team is going places.   

I did say I'd be in Germany and miss today but the way City are playing I cannot miss a thing. I switched my plans last minute to ensure I saw us lay down a marker.

We can easily compete with ANYONE in this division (for me Norwich are the best but a little cynical and Germanic) and the O'Dowda goal was simply unforgettable.

Interesting comments and some decent points - however, when you say Fammy ‘made our goals’ - not sure he did anything to make Callum’s solo effort. He didn’t touch the ball in the build up and he didn’t move to take any defenders out of Callum’s path....thought that was a bit generous of you...and you also said of BW ‘he alone made our first goal’ - but, as I said, you also credited Fammy with ‘making’ both our goals?! Your comment about BW suggests Fammy had nothing to do with Pato’s goal...

Fammy was obviously very instrumental in our first strike so a bit of a contradiction there...

7 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Interesting comments and some decent points - however, when you say Fammy ‘made our goals’ - not sure he did anything to make Callum’s solo effort. He didn’t touch the ball in the build up and he didn’t move to take any defenders out of Callum’s path....thought that was a bit generous of you...

He did have a word with Callum just after the Norwich equaliser and told him what to do from the kick-off.

The big screen on the way out told the full story, they had 23 shots to our 12. You shoot to win. They did, we didn't to their degree. We may have matched them for an hour but over the 90 they were deserved victors.

No crystal ball required to know our offensive frailty will cost us come the crunch, which sounds strange given we scored two excellent goals (CoD's will linger long in the memory,) but those who think we've a striker at the club are delusional. And to those who say Weimann and Diggeridoo did well in holding it up, no they didn't. They failed to persistently trouble the opposition, they didn't pose the types of questions their Norwich equivalents did of us, they neglected to buy time for our mids and defence to regroup. As Lightweight as Ken Buchanan in his pomp, but without the punch. Norwich played often on the break, because they could, in full knowledge offensively the two upfront are impotent. That's not being critical, they probably do their best, but that's not good enough for top of The Championship. 

Defensively we were ok if not at our best and before kick off many of us were proposing Wright over Pisano (if fit) to be the wrong call by WeeLee. If Pisano was fit,  I think we were proven correct. Their first for sure we had more than enough opportunity in the build up to quell. I also think WeeLee's mass substitution was a major mistake, took the wind out of our sails, introduced inferior players to those on the park and in Pearson's case, effectively reduced us to 10 men. Actually, add in Show Pony and we'll call it 9.

Trains aside a good day out. Proper club Norwich , cracking ale, friendly and knowledgeable fans. 

Tuesday now pivotal.

About time someone did something about that ridiculous head injury rule that meant we went from a dangerous attacking position to defending a throw deep in our half.

A throw in for the team in possession level with the point they had the ball when the game was stopped would be far more appropriate.

Football is a game of momentum and the whole match changed on that moment.

17 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

What  I didn't like about the Zimmerman incident was that when their "drop ball" gave us possession they were instantly pressing deep in our half. Hence conceding the throw in. Quite Very unsporting professional I their manager probably thought.

Sadly :(

As well as City played, we weren’t as dominant as suggested. Even in first half when we just about deserved to be 2–1 up, that had us under periods of pressure that could have levelled it. 

16 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

About time someone did something about that ridiculous head injury rule that meant we went from a dangerous attacking position to defending a throw deep in our half.

A throw in for the team in possession level with the point they had the ball when the game was stopped would be far more appropriate.

It’s a real unfortunate rule but not sure what else they can do (assuming it is a genuine head injury). 

16 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

As @italian dave says it was a complete momentum changer and what I didn't like is they were at it continually - Ward gave them most things and even that was quite a small subset of the times we would be in full flow and you'd see a Norwich player somewhere elsewhere on the pitch lying prostate and waving at the referee. I saw them do it in their Ipswich game 2 weeks ago and I'd hate to think Farke encourages it.... but I think he does. It's very Germanic and went up a notch or two in the second half when they were desperate to get some kind of foothold against the run of play.

27 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

The big screen on the way out told the full story, they had 23 shots to our 12. You shoot to win. They did, we didn't to their degree. We may have matched them for an hour but over the 90 they were deserved victors.

No crystal ball required to know our offensive frailty will cost us come the crunch, which sounds strange given we scored two excellent goals (CoD's will linger long in the memory,) but those who think we've a striker at the club are delusional. And to those who say Weimann and Diggeridoo did well in holding it up, no they didn't. They failed to persistently trouble the opposition, they didn't pose the types of questions their Norwich equivalents did of us, they neglected to buy time for our mids and defence to regroup. As Lightweight as Ken Buchanan in his pomp, but without the punch. Norwich played often on the break, because they could, in full knowledge offensively the two upfront are impotent. That's not being critical, they probably do their best, but that's not good enough for top of The Championship. 

Defensively we were ok if not at our best and before kick off many of us were proposing Wright over Pisano (if fit) to be the wrong call by WeeLee. If Pisano was fit,  I think we were proven correct. Their first for sure we had more than enough opportunity in the build up to quell. I also think WeeLee's mass substitution was a major mistake, took the wind out of our sails, introduced inferior players to those on the park and in Pearson's case, effectively reduced us to 10 men. Actually, add in Show Pony and we'll call it 9.

Trains aside a good day out. Proper club Norwich , cracking ale, friendly and knowledgeable fans. 

Tuesday now pivotal.

A bit unfair I think. We did more than match them, we were ahead for half the game.

we also had spells where we were putting them under intense pressure, and clearly Weiman and Diedhiou were part of that. (Incidentally, are you related to Robbo "Kodjia" Red in some way?!) edit - trying to write c-o-d-j-e-r here but there's some kind of anti robbored auto correct still acting here!

Serious question: why do you think that so many opponents rate Diedhiou where so many of our fans don't?

Don't get me wrong; I don't argue with you for a moment that we need another striker. But Diedhiou is a decent enough 15 goal a season player, we just need to 20 goal a season natural goal scorer. 

Norwich are a fabulous side going forward, and agree that their shots says it all, though as well as quantity there was also quality there. All three goals were a lesson to us in finishing. But that's what they are built to do this season, sometimes, as with many teams who score for fun, at the expense of the defence. We, maybe aware of the goal scorer issue above, are set up not to concede. Bet Norwich would kill for our defensive record this season.

Wright v Pisano. My instinct is the same as yours. But hindsight is a great thing! Pisano can be rash, who's to say he wouldn't have got more than one card against that winger?! I don't know why LJ made the call he did, nor why he didn't bring Pisano on at half time, but he is in credit at the moment so just have to accept I guess that he has to make the call without that benefit! 

I don't think the subs were as bad as you suggest. Not quite sure who Pearson is, but if you mean Watkins he did come very close to an equaliser. Actually, for me, it was Taylor who was the completely anonymous one, Watkins and Palmer both offered something. I think the biggest problem with the subs wasn't that it seemed to take us about 10 minutes as a team to adapt to the different set up, after that we did ok.

7 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Thought Weimann played well apart from that good chance he skied after a good first touch from a neat Pack pass. I thought Pack struggled though. We desperately needed someone like Korey to be looking after the defence. Pack too slow getting tight and often caught out when tracking back. Full backs struggled but midfield was more of a problem in that period in the second half. Thought Norwich deserved the win because of that period of complete dominance. We never really did enough when 2-1 down either and the wrong changes were made. Palmer hasn't the work rate, movement and wants too long on the ball. I agree on O'Dowda. Thought he was outstanding, and what a goal.

Pack was an interesting one yesterday. I was surprised how far forward he was getting. Normally he'll rarely venture forward any further than where he knows he can get back quick enough to be behind the ball when we lose possession. But he went further forward than that yesterday, and while that contributed to the spells where we had good possession in their half (and to efforts like the one you've mentioned) it meant we were always going to be more stretched when they broke. 

Maybe the plan was for the full backs to sit a bit deeper than usual (normally Pack staying deep gives them the freedom to get forward) but they were both struggling defensively anyway. 

It just felt like it was a deliberate ploy to get Pack forward and play a slightly different role?

Good maych report again. I am still here Sunday morning thinking we dropped points. Not because of the performance or because we were better than Norwich but because I think individual mistakes cost us.

We were too casual defending our box. We tried to play out too often and it gave Norwich extra chances.

Wright was not up for Hernandez. Have seen Hernandez a few times now and it is a similar matchup to Adama Traore. LJ got that one wrong amd should have went with Pisano who will be more comfortable up against someone quicker than him. 

For as brilliant as COD was going forward, still think he is a major part of their last two goals. Their second he lets the dribbler go by far too easily and it causes chaos in our box that they score from. The second thought he was being too clever and thinking about what to do when the ball gets to him and their player works harder to a 50/50 and scores. 

Those are why I feel we dropped points. If anyone was going to win it was Norwich but I thought we allowed them a few extra chances which cost us. 

Outside of those I thought we were brilliant. Of course Norwich play football so think we looked a bit better than usual going forward. Type of performance where we can be proud and shouldn’t affect our confidence

Imo this game showed we are not there yet, but very close to being serious contenders at this level... Naaarwich stepped it up for 20 mins when we couldn't and with more than a little help from a homer of a ref turned it around but , as confirmed by many of their fans comments after, we scared the life out of them.....

23 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yep. But only a fit Smith or Brownhill can cover ground like that. But also I felt Pack was slow in closing down when he was behind the ball. He just hasn't got that speed or stamina to be that kind of holding player. It's not like it's mattered in most games whilst we've been winning but I think there are times it really shows. And against a very speedy Norwich side it really showed. 

Maybe it was the speed Norwich moved it at, that's a good point. Because I think he's shown he can do that job against most sides in this division. My view is that he's as much a part of our outstanding defensive record this season as anyone else in the back four. Norwich do score for fun against most sides though. 

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

Not quite sure who Pearson is, but if you mean Watkins he did come very close to an equaliser.

Pearson (for it is he come back to haunt us,) tried his best to stretch to meet a ball that was already beyond the post, but, off-balance, it was always a toss up between rows X and Y.

Your comments re Taylor are fair. Yesterday we didn't have enough possession upfront for him to become a pest and other than one decent run down the by-line I, too, struggle to recall anything of note. In which case all 3 subs failed.

As for Didgeridoo, I think it's either opposition fans profess to like him on the basis if he plays they know he'll do little damage, else (and this is my belief,) they see his size and presence and through attribution cannot accept that someone of his stature can be so ineffective. Instead they should take time to assess his movement (he doesn't pull defenders around with his lumbering style;) his aerial ability (good only within his own 6 yard box where players are forced to be static, in open play and with woeful movement he's never at the races with those in motion;) his inability to get the right side of his opponent (attacking by numbers as that's all he sees on the centre-half's back;) and for someone so big just how easily he's bullied in the challenge (count the number of times he falls/trips over else looks pleadingly to the ref to give him a hand.) I'm not so fussed about his touch, or his poor conversion rate. Of the latter the majority of his 'chances' are those 'nearly' moments.  It's not he scuffs or muffs the ball, rather he never quite gets there which means two things,  his movement and anticipation isn't quite up there. I'd have no problem with him being a useful tool to have on the bench to be used sparingly. But he's our record signing and as a striker against his peers in this division he wouldn't make the top twenty on any chart. Perhaps the question to ask the opposition is would you swop your 'X' striker with Didgeridoo, in most cases the answer would be no. In that respect he personifies where we are as a club, he's alright, quite entertaining, but is lacking something to turn us into a dominant force. Nearly, nearly.....

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

Pearson (for it is he come back to haunt us,) tried his best to stretch to meet a ball that was already beyond the post, but, off-balance, it was always a toss up between rows X and Y.

Your comments re Taylor are fair. Yesterday we didn't have enough possession upfront for him to become a pest and other than one decent run down the by-line I, too, struggle to recall anything of note. In which case all 3 subs failed.

As for Didgeridoo, I think it's either opposition fans profess to like him on the basis if he plays they know he'll do little damage, else (and this is my belief,) they see his size and presence and through attribution cannot accept that someone of his stature can be so ineffective. Instead they should take time to assess his movement (he doesn't pull defenders around with his lumbering style;) his aerial ability (good only within his own 6 yard box where players are forced to be static, in open play and with woeful movement he's never at the races with those in motion;) his inability to get the right side of his opponent (attacking by numbers as that's all he sees on the centre-half's back;) and for someone so big just how easily he's bullied in the challenge (count the number of times he falls/trips over else looks pleadingly to the ref to give him a hand.) I'm not so fussed about his touch, or his poor conversion rate. Of the latter the majority of his 'chances' are those 'nearly' moments.  It's not he scuffs or muffs the ball, rather he never quite gets there which means two things,  his movement and anticipation isn't quite up there. I'd have no problem with him being a useful tool to have on the bench to be used sparingly. But he's our record signing and as a striker against his peers in this division he wouldn't make the top twenty on any chart. Perhaps the question to ask the opposition is would you swop your 'X' striker with Didgeridoo, in most cases the answer would be no. In that respect he personifies where we are as a club, he's alright, quite entertaining, but is lacking something to turn us into a dominant force. Nearly, nearly.....

Always think the “record signing” tag is an unfair stick with which to beat Famara. He’s a limited player and he’s our record signing not because he’s the best player we’ve ever purchased, but because he’s a striker in the era of the most expensive transfer market the game has ever seen.

In reality, £5.3m is not a vast sum for a second tier striker and I would argue a return of around 15 goals a season would be about par at that price.

2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Always think the “record signing” tag is an unfair stick with which to beat Famara. He’s a limited player and he’s our record signing not because he’s the best player we’ve ever purchased, but because he’s a striker in the era of the most expensive transfer market the game has ever seen.

In reality, £5.3m is not a vast sum for a second tier striker and I would argue a return of around 15 goals a season would be about par at that price.

I don't disagree other than being a decent striker isn't just about scoring goals or direct assists. Didgeridoo will notch a not unreasonable amount, my issue is his lack of effective contribution otherwise. Reid is not and never was a striker, but even when not scoring his tireless movement and chasing kept the opposition on their toes and gave our mids and defence time to regroup and reorganise. Other than score Diggeridoo doesn't offer much in that respect, we give the opposition a base from which to play. Yesterday, again, Norwich were given the first 30 or so yards for free and other than a few seconds of direct challenge their centre half's weren't having to constantly worry where he was or what he was doing. It's that which creates mistakes and leads to errors our other players benefit from.

Ole's seminal away match report is always my 'go to' place for analysis and perspective.  I  watched the game on live stream, so probably missed some of the details going on, which the camera failed to see.  It's interesting that Ole and one or two others allude to the Zimmerman stoppage, as my cynical eye saw it as pure gamesmanship...........an innocuous brush from an arm becomes a full blown 5 minute hold up, just as our pressing momentum is taking shape.  It definitely seems to be a ploy that Norwich use regularly in games.                                                                                                                                                                                                             Nevertheless Norwich are the genuine article, a quality attacking side, but perhaps somewhat fragile at the back?  However they deserve to be table toppers, and their pace and movement will probably keep them there, adjoined to that streak of dubious manipulation that Farke has introduced, and that weak referees always fall for?  To have scored 4 goals against the best team in the championship this season is no mean feat, and we have given them two of their hardest matches, i'm sure?  We are a quality striker away from being a top 2 side...........so if we keep our focus, there seems no reason why we cannot reach the play offs, and then anything is possible.  Thanks to Ole for another insightful and well observed report and LJ for giving us a team we can all be proud of.

Archived