IGNORED

Norwich fans yesterday

Between heaven and hell

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

You’re missing my point..

Strange that everyone according to you seems to 'miss your point.' Maybe you need to try and get your point across better instead of blaming everyone else for not understanding your nonsense... 

3 hours ago, Between heaven and hell said:

Did anyone else notice yesterday what a huge amount of old age supporters Norwich City have. I have been to most grounds across the country over the years but yesterday I was amazed by just how old their fan base was.

No wonder you never associate Norwich with crowd disorder, unless of course their pension doesn't get paid in on time

Also worth mentioning I thought the flag display before kick off by the younger ones was quite impressive. 

Really friendly fans. I went with my little girl and walked to and from the ground wearing scarves, and I lost count of the people who wished us well and told how well we played. They all stayed at the one end to cheer Farke. Hope they do well. Hope we do better.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

My (obviously too subtle) point was that all clubs have a percentage of ‘older’ supporters so why was it necessary to point out that fact at Carrow Rd?

Possibly becuse the percentage seemed higher than at other away grounds?...........And wasn't it you that referred to 'missing the point'?

19 minutes ago, hoxton casual said:

Really friendly fans. I went with my little girl and walked to and from the ground wearing scarves, and I lost count of the people who wished us well and told how well we played. They all stayed at the one end to cheer Farke. Hope they do well. Hope we do better.

They are (in my experience anyway). When I was living there, it was 08/09 season, and we won 2-1 (maybe 2-0 can't be arsed to check). I walked out at the same time as everybody else, and was walking through the Norwich supporters all the way home (in red). Loads of people said similar things then.

Norwich in general is a nice place, only thing I didn't like about it was that it took so long to get to/from Bristol!!

4 hours ago, Between heaven and hell said:

Did anyone else notice yesterday what a huge amount of old age supporters Norwich City have. I have been to most grounds across the country over the years but yesterday I was amazed by just how old their fan base was.

No wonder you never associate Norwich with crowd disorder, unless of course their pension doesn't get paid in on time

Also worth mentioning I thought the flag display before kick off by the younger ones was quite impressive. 

Who cares, they won

I think the same when at Ashton Gate...full of old fits who are quiet...families and section 82 who are a mixed age range trying to make a noise... interspersed with random old gits, pissed up, trying to relive their youth trying to start chants on their own to no avail then moaning about it being a library...score...and we all go mental, or when trying to chase a goal in last 5 mins.?

8 minutes ago, Taz said:

They are (in my experience anyway). When I was living there, it was 08/09 season, and we won 2-1 (maybe 2-0 can't be arsed to check). I walked out at the same time as everybody else, and was walking through the Norwich supporters all the way home (in red). Loads of people said similar things then.

Norwich in general is a nice place, only thing I didn't like about it was that it took so long to get to/from Bristol!!

I have to agree. I worked up there for quite a while (not in Norwich itself but Thetford, Swaffham, Fakenham and all the villages in between) doing stuff for social housing and the folks I met were just really nice people - it reminded me of down here in Devon as much as anything just a lot flatter!

Kings Lynn on the other hand...………………………:shocking:

7 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I have to agree. I worked up there for quite a while (not in Norwich itself but Thetford, Swaffham, Fakenham and all the villages in between) doing stuff for social housing and the folks I met were just really nice people - it reminded me of down here in Devon as much as anything just a lot flatter!

Kings Lynn on the other hand...………………………:shocking:

Do you think that the people of Norfolk even sound like the people of Devon?

What old ? ?

On the train out of Norwich yesterday me and my son     (I would add we were making our way back to his home 25 miles away)  in carriages surrounded by almost everyone wearing a yellow top, all ages, young and oldies alike.   There were loads more in 20's than anything else (and had a great bit of banter with them) so cannot really agree with that statement.. i thought the atmosphere at Carrow road was superb, and this is backed up by the comments made by Callum on the official site if you listen. 

Norwich is a footballing City.  They do not really have to contend with lots local football, or Rugby as Bristol and the South West in strong in that, and nearest the 'local' team is Ipswich 40 miles away and that is a 'derby'.  Swindon is closer to us that Ipswich to Norwich.  They have a lot going for them and TBH their history blows us away (at present) with European nights and cups and about 4 times in top flight. (that said I hope we add our own sooner rather than later)

1 hour ago, DT The Optimist said:

What old ? ?

On the train out of Norwich yesterday me and my son     (I would add we were making our way back to his home 25 miles away)  in carriages surrounded by almost everyone wearing a yellow top, all ages, young and oldies alike.   There were loads more in 20's than anything else (and had a great bit of banter with them) so cannot really agree with that statement.. i thought the atmosphere at Carrow road was superb, and this is backed up by the comments made by Callum on the official site if you listen. 

Norwich is a footballing City.  They do not really have to contend with lots local football, or Rugby as Bristol and the South West in strong in that, and nearest the 'local' team is Ipswich 40 miles away and that is a 'derby'.  Swindon is closer to us that Ipswich to Norwich.  They have a lot going for them and TBH their history blows us away (at present) with European nights and cups and about 4 times in top flight. (that said I hope we add our own sooner rather than later)

27000 every week and it is half the size of Bristol.

2 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

What old ? ?

25 years in the top flight 8 of which have been in the Premier League (Best finish 3rd in 1992-93)

9 hours ago, Xiled said:

I'm sure I heard (in an interview with Geoff Twentyman) one of our club officials say that the average age of the BCFC fanbase was 47. Pretty frightening really as it means we really can't be getting many youngsters through the turnstiles.

Watching football up and down the country, it does seem to be becoming a middle aged person's activity.

Average ages of supports in the country have just been aging in general and for a while now too.

Throw in the fact that Norwich- a medium sized city- aside, Norfolk is a fairly rural area and a fairly aging fanbase no great surprise. The pull of the big teams on TV,  the glamour of the top competitions, cost of POTD tickets and cost of travel- good away game can get younger fan hooked- these all contribute to an aging demographic and it has been this way for a generation perhaps.

This is a fact that has been in the making for a while.

https://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/threads/average-age-of-a-premier-league-fan.325566/

https://www.football365.com/news/wanted-the-next-generation-of-football-fans

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/mar/08/how-football-lost-touch-young-fans

http://www.fsf.org.uk/latest-news/view/football-clubs-facing-demographic-time-bomb

Norwich also has a very high percentage of season ticket holders, making it very difficult to purchase last minute, occasional tickets especially if you need groups of tickets such as three or four for a family. It is only when the away team don't bring many fans that families have a chance of tickets.

I believe they also have a waiting list for season tickets making it difficult for youngsters to get a season ticket next to mum or dad.

Greetings. Good game on Saturday. We weren't at our best first half but in no small part due to the fact you played very well. think we just had a bit too much firepower for you in the end but it would be nice not to have to rely on coming back from behind so much by defending a bit better! I think we missed Vrancic and Leitner who were on the bench as Farke kept faith with Mclean. They are our playmakers and help us to control games and keep the ball better although of course mclean got two goals so that selection dilemma doesn't get any easier!

In terms of our fans I think we probably do have a higher than average percentage of both elderly and female fans which has pros and cons in terms of the atmosphere although that view is probably heightened by the stand the away fans are in which tends to have more older fans and families in it. Setting up the obvious Norfolk joke we do have quite a lot of families where there will often be three generations sitting next to each other. Delia has an influence in terms of the famale fans I think. There is an issue in terms of "season ticket churn" in that season tickets have essentially been sold out for about a decade now which i think is a challenge in terms of getting the younger generation along. I still have my season ticket because I don;t really dare give it up even though due to family commitments I can only get to half a dozen home games a season so I offload it for most games. We do though have a lot of season ticket holders in their 20's and early 30's as back in the days we were really struggling in the late 90's/00's we were one of the first clubs to introduce really affordable season tickets for kids and students (think it was about £15 for a long time for U12s and about £40 for U16's) who have remained season ticket holders ever since. Its a habit thing isn't it and once you get into the habit of going you keep going. 

Anyway best of luck for the rest of the season and if you could take some points off Leeds and Shef U for us it would be very much appreciated! i think you are good enough to do so.

I think Bristol and Norwich are quite similar cities in terms of the fact they are proper provincial cities with a strong identity. Have been impressed with how your owner has gone about building the club on a sustainable basis, improved the ground etc and it all seems to be there for you to have a crack at the prem even if it doesn't happen this year!

18 hours ago, Xiled said:

I'm sure I heard (in an interview with Geoff Twentyman) one of our club officials say that the average age of the BCFC fanbase was 47. Pretty frightening really as it means we really can't be getting many youngsters through the turnstiles.

Watching football up and down the country, it does seem to be becoming a middle aged person's activity.

TBH I see a lot of younger girls and guys at the games but hopefully a lot of potential supporters in years to come aren,t there because they are young enough to be playing the game on Saturdays .

Archived