IGNORED

Bristol City v Birmingham City Matchday Thread

wendyredredrobin

Possibly the earliest matchay thread ever?

Really looking forward to tonight, even though I haven't gone to bed yet last night.

Having lost v Wolves and Narridge even though giving a good account of ourselves, It's now time for us to show that the wheels have not fallen off and that we are still a serious contender at the top of the Championship.

This won't be an easy game with Gary Monk keeping 11 behind the ball and they will be very hard to break down.

3 points tonight will put us 5 points clear of FLDC in 7th place even though the automatics do look a bit beyond our reach.  A point, though not desirable, would not be a complete disaaster.

From a team perspective, will Nicky be fit? Will Korey be fit enough for the bench? Will we have a RB fit or will BW play there again?  Will there be room for Eliasson on the right? Has Fam done enough to keep his place upfront? and what formation and tactics eill Lee want to use from his birds eye perch in the directors box all sprinng to mind.

Expected team:

Fielding

Pisano Kalas Webster DaSilva

Pack

Weimann Brownhill Paterson O'Dowda

Diedhiou

If Wright gets a start after his nightmate at Narridge, I would be surprised and I would like to See Eliasson in with either patto or Andi Weimann dropping to the bench.

As for the history of Brum and what a dump Birmingham is, I will leave that to Septic snd Havanat.

Gone are the days that teams came here expecting to win, thank goodness!

A defeat for Brum would not be good, and increase the gap between us.

I expect them to go for the draw and will be happy to keep it 0-0.

Hopefully we get an early goal and they then have to make a game of it!

This game will tell me whether or not we have what it takes to mount a serious play off push. I know there will be plenty of games after but this is the sort of environment we need to triumph in, we're at home, a win would provide a 5 point gap and we can go to Preston with a bit of confidence. I'm not saying it's a "must win" but its most certainly a "must not lose" We need to show a bit of guts tonight. Go and get that win and show the rest of um we're serious. 

1 hour ago, Eastside Moonwalker said:

We need to win this game to claim the last playoff spot. However i don't think 5th is out of reach especially with Boro coming up

Nothing is finalised in February......

If City lose tonight and slip out of the top six there’s still be 13 games to recover. 39 is a lot of points to play for.......

@wendyredredrobin have I missed something Re Korey? I thought he was still a while off, is he back in training?

I think Pisano & Palmer will start tonight. 

Jutkiewicz and Adams are a very good front two, the former hasn't scored for a while, but Adams has been on fire this year. Kalas & Webster will be key. Need to win our home games if we're going to finish in the play offs. 

Highlights from their last game against Blackburn here. (Charlie Mulgrew scored his 3rd corner of the season!)

Can't help but think this could be a season defining game, win and we create new momentum and open a 5 point gap and really push back the chasing pack, lead by FLDC who look out of form and all the others played more games. Lose and concerns over a mini losing run will surface and dragged back into the dog fight, particularly going to our nemesis Preston who look the best of the chasing bunch, then followed by Leeds which will be a very hard game.

yes there are lots of points to play for, but these 3 could be as big as they get.

Draw would not be the end of the world, but must avoid defeat

Birmingham will be tough.

They are quite a counter attacking side but a positive one at that. People mention Adams and of course he is the big danger man, partnered by Jutkiewicz but mustn't lose sight of Jota- if he starts- and if I was Monk I'd consider him in a 4-3-1-2 loading the bullets for Adams and Jutkiewicz given his fluidity- it would enable a mix of counter attacking and more technical play then and could make it very difficult for opponents- good on the road setup. OTOH I hope he does not do this!

Big, big game. I think automatic promotion is nearly gone but win here and we can get going with fresh momentum for the playoff push- an early goal for us will help a lot, not just because it'd settle nerves but because of the aforementioned counterattacking ability of Birmingham.

@Major Isewater He got an assist though. Can't overlook assists- Adams has a couple too this season though is more of a real striker rather than a '10'/striker split like Pukki.

Back on topic, and yeah as well as obviously wanting us to win, let's hope Dean and Davis if they start or if they come off the bench, get booed every time they touch the ball, that kinda thing.

31 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Nothing is finalised in February......

If City lose tonight and slip out of the top six there’s still be 13 games to recover. 39 is a lot of points to play for.......

Can't argue with the sentiment or the maths, however defeat tonight followed by a very tough game at Deepdale on Saturday which may well result in defeat, would, I suspect, be a big knock back in confidence and have us on something of mini losing run.

For that reason I believe tonight's result and that on Saturday are crucial if we are to stay clear of other play off contenders. Maybe not season defining, but 4 or even 6 points from these two games would be a massive boost to our run in. 

I think last night’s result means we can go out there and play our normal game, and not chase a result which might play into Brum’s hands. 

Just relax and let it happens - that’s my messsge to LJ and the players. 

As for the fans, start biting those nails. 

24 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Huge opportunity tonight. A 5 point gap would look very nice indeed. 

This is how to look at it .

Away you doomongers and naysayers.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think last night’s result means we can go out there and play our normal game, and not chase a result which might play into Brum’s hands. 

As for the fans, start biting those nails. 

Davefevs says ‘ Relax ‘ 

I’m trying not to be, but I’m quite nervous about tonight’s game. It would be good to bounce back with a win after the defeat at Norwich. 

51 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Absolutely agree - if we play our normal game we can get the win.

I’m not sure what Brum’s style of play is and whether they’ll be sitting back and catching us on the break or going all out for 3 points to make up some ground.  Hopefully we’ll assert ourselves and dictate play, without being too gung-ho at the expense of the solidity that has been one of our strengths. 

It’ll be interesting to see what the starting line up is after LJ’s comments about a couple of players not being quite on it in the Norwich game.  

Archived