IGNORED

Bristol City v Birmingham City Matchday Thread

wendyredredrobin

2 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

My view (and I’m not alone) is the lack of quality up front, we haven’t got a prolific striker, we haven’t got a defender who scores like Flint used to, it’s goals that are costing us, not the conceding of them, but the difficulty in scoring of them.  That game could have been 2-2 or even 3-2, had we made the most of the forward movement, which looks OK until the ball into the box and the final touch - or not even getting to it as is often the case.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Eh? Shaun Taylor scored 7 goals for us in 4 years.....you probably meant Flint if you were talking about a defender who scored goals....

How did you manage to ‘edit’ your post to change ‘Shaun Taylor’ to ‘Flint’ after I challenged you without your post showing it has been edited?! Is it because you are an ‘admin’ ?! You also edited the part of your post which I quoted when posting my reply above....which makes my response seem weird! Very sneaky MR - however you did it! 

Back to normal!

Three and counting!

Apart from our goal, I cannot remember us working their keeper at all in the second half. 

Even Eliasson who LJ thinks is a very good crosser, hit some wayward ones with one from near the Lansdown corner flag going out first bounce on the Dolman side.

Does anyone else agree with me that Palmer is a show boater who creates nothing except giving the ball away?

5 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Back to normal!

That’s an interesting comment.

Are you suggesting that normal form from this team leads to relegation and that all our draws and wins are somehow just very lucky breaks from the norm?

Or do you mean normal is just winning and drawing more than we lose and thus finishing tenth?

5 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Back to normal!

Three and counting!

Apart from our goal, I cannot remember us working their keeper at all in the second half. 

Even Eliasson who LJ thinks is a very good crosser, hit some wayward ones with one from near the Lansdown corner flag going out first bounce on the Dolman side.

Does anyone else agree with me that Palmer is a show boater who creates nothing except giving the ball away?

Palmer gave the ball away so many times I lost count, and each time was appealing for a foul instead of trying to get the ball back.

A poor performance all over the pitch, lots of tired legs, let’s hope the international break does some good, but with our remaining fixtures I can’t see us moving up the table, in fact eighth  place would be a decent position to finish in, disappointing but once again the failure to strengthen is going to cost us it seems.

8 hours ago, bexhill reds said:

That's a fair enough point, but we might be limited by FFP in terms of the budget available for both signings and wages, and let's face it who was sensibly around in Jan that could make a difference? I'd like to have seen Hogan down here, but given that he is at Villa he has to be on stupid money.

Some of the names we were linked with might have been a bit of agent talk to either up the transfer value, get new deals offered, or to put a bit of pressure on managers to increase game time. None of the strikers who moved around seem to have set the world on fire.

We could have shipped out two or three peripheral players or a first teamer or two to balance out the cost of a striker who scores goals and before anyone says ‘ another club must want those City players ‘ , well that’s the Ashton’s job to get them clubs .

As to availability, we are told that we have lists of targets that the club work on continuously so surely we could have brought one in if we really wanted.

8 hours ago, RedSA said:

Agree, LJs losing streaks (not saying it’s one yet but...) often have this pattern. We get some momentum by playing solid, simple and as a team that is more than the some of its parts. Then we seem to start thinking we’re better than we are technically and start playing too expansive and losing our shape etc. We get dicked by a few teams, lose confidence and spiral into a shit run. LJ goes back to basics, gets the shape back, start playing more compact (there was so much distance between the lines tonight) and we string a few results together get some confidence and it all goes round again....

Our long run started with a tight victory at division whipping boys Ipswich we need to fight and be ‘ on it ‘ for every single Championship match or we lose .

We looked tired last night , lost out to a more physical side who were first to every second ball.

With all the sports science boffs monitoring the players how is it possible to send out a side lacking energy ?

Do we not trust the squad enough to freshen it up when necessary ?

OK then, three consecutive single goal defeats; why?

Wolves - a Prem team doing well.

Norwich the table toppers.

Birmingham though? Had our players given it all at Norwich and not fully recovered, or was it "one of those games", or has City now started their annual blip?

10 hours ago, Der no.2 said:

Seems Marlon is trying too hard, too many 30-40yd passes and the few that do come off often means the receiving player is isolated. He just needs to sit in front of our defence, keep it simple but quick. Let Brownhill, COD do all the running. Noticed he was flat footed in last 15mins.

Overall we looked disjointed and lost most second balls, Birm were well up for it and we wern’t.

This is half the problem. Johnson will never sub off the likes of Marlon and Bailey. Marlon was terrible last night. We were losing the midfield battle throughout. Josh was always out of position, covering for Marlon and Pisano and trying to break down their counter attacks. It was identical for Bailey Vs Norwich - Hernandez had him in his pocket and nothing was done to mitigate this threat.

What confused me last night was why COD went off when he did. He didn't look that leggy to me, more the case of not having space and freedom to do what he is best at. His criticism of Callum in the Norwich was harsh IMO - nothing on the woeful Bailey. There must be more to this LJ/COD thing. Palmer was losing the ball and taking way too many touches, but was it not worth giving him another 15 minutes with a strong brief (rocket up his arse)?. As I said, Marlon was the player crying out to be hooked.

Onwards to Preston - COYR

13 hours ago, ... said:

Yes, but it's not worth bottling it now, is it?

Wolves are going well in the Prem, and Norwich are top.

Should have got at least a draw tonight at home, but it's no disaster; IF you keep some perspective.

:hug:

Shouldn't Brum have been 3 or 4 nil up before we started playing? 

3 hours ago, 22A said:

Birmingham though? Had our players given it all at Norwich and not fully recovered, or was it "one of those games", or has City now started their annual blip?

Pressure innit

10 hours ago, 22A said:

Other option; teams have now sussed how to deal with City's tactics etc.

30 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

By that logic no, as it was 0-0 when Fammy missed his sitter

I think the only perspective that judged that as a game worthy of a draw is a perspective influenced by cider. Lots of cider.

Archived