Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

billywedlock

Kasey Palmer Permanent Signing 4m - Story in The S*n (Merged)

I say snap him up, he's 22 and once intergrated into our system, he could be a fantastic addition?...........Although how about a deal with Chelski for a trio of acquistions?  DeSilva, Kalas and Palmer.for....lets say 15m?  That would be money well spent?  Basically those 3 young stars for what we received for Bryant n' Reid.  😍

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I say snap him up, he's 22 and once intergrated into our system, he could be a fantastic addition?...........Although how about a deal with Chelski for a trio of acquistions?  DeSilva, Kalas and Palmer.for....lets say 15m?  That would be money well spent?  Basically those 3 young stars for what we received for Bryant n' Reid.  😍

A 3 for the price of 2 deal would be good!

Is this just rumor or true ?

Think he would be a great signing of we play him in a number 10 role, or would love to see him, Ellison and O'Dowda together if we decide to rest Famara at some point.

The problem we have now is that anyone we sign has to be good enough to pass muster in the Premier League:-

Because that is where we are headed.

COYR.

:laughcont:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Neo said:

This forum makes me laugh.

We have seen this guy score a goal and have a big part in a couple of others playing some passes nobody else in our team would even see.

This is with limited minutes and only a developing understanding of the way we want him to play and people are worried about 4 million.

Absolute steal !!

P.S. ever seen a player not have a great game as obviously trying too hard to prove themselves? Read the signs 👀

At 22 there is a very good player there who has proved himself at this level with Huddersfield. He's more than a luxury player as he adds that vision and eye for a goal that we miss when trying to unlock teams who park the bus

• Like 2

Definitely worth trying to sign him -   he’s young, has good pedigree, has bags of skill and his value should increase. Same for Dasilva, who I rate highly.  

My only question would be the 4 million fee. One the one hand it seems to be the going rate for this type of player and is not a huge amount in the context of our division as a whole. However, as a club are we in the financial position yet where spending this kind of outlay (alongside other “development” signings like Eisa and Adelukan which also add up to millions) is feasible?

12 minutes ago, Offside said:

My only question would be the 4 million fee. One the one hand it seems to be the going rate for this type of player and is not a huge amount in the context of our division as a whole. However, as a club are we in the financial position yet where spending this kind of outlay (alongside other “development” signings like Eisa and Adelukan which also add up to millions) is feasible?

My honest answer (guess!) to that is that we have to be or we wouldn't be doing it! 

We may have had many years of questioning SL's football acumen, but clearly he's at least a half-decent accountant. So on stuff like this - if the club is willing to spend it, I think we have to assume that they're comfortable with our ability to afford it. 

• Like 1

Palmer would be an asset at 4 million. With the Chelsea transfer situation at present it would interesting to see if we could sign all 3 Chelsea loanees at reasonable prices as all bring something to the current team. I would sign Kallas before Palmer given the choice. Only time will tell so we can only watch this space fir more speculation & rumours!!!😂

• Like 1

I think this would be great business. We saw enough in the two Bolton games and - to a lesser exten Forest - that he could often be the key to unlocking stubborn defences when we’re on top. 

How often have we played the Boltons, Rotherhams, Burtons etc lately and really struggled? Palmer could really help here.

Where I think he’s potentially less useful- currently - would be in the big on a knife edge games against the top teams where we need to defend as well as we attack. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Offside said:

Definitely worth trying to sign him -   he’s young, has good pedigree, has bags of skill and his value should increase. Same for Dasilva, who I rate highly.  

Young, potential to grow is there, has already done well with Huddersfield at this level. Providing he improves, if/when he moves on, that value will only increase. Is there a risk? Of course there is - as there is with any transfer of any value. 

We're playing at a level where transfer fees are going to be in the millions - the days of £1-2m signings being expensive are gone. Those figures are now considered "punts", maybe in line with the £300-400k signings of 8-10 years ago.

If you want to compete at this level, you have to spend the money. SL realises this. That is one of the reasons for the ground redevelopment. He isn't afraid to spend the money, providing we have value for it. With that in mind, thats why we sign younger players.

£4m on a 28 year old Kasey Palmer would never happen, as we wouldn't see a return on him.

The interesting one would be Kalas, as I expect that figure to be at least £2-3m more....

• Like 1

So.. What would you all value Pack Patterson and Brownhill at ? Not all directly comparable, but men wearing the shirts currently.

I like what I see, but £4m ? Not sure.

1 minute ago, Loon plage said:

So.. What would you all value Pack Patterson and Brownhill at ? Not all directly comparable, but men wearing the shirts currently.

I like what I see, but £4m ? Not sure.

Pack is a funny one.  To some extent I think he was worth more last season when we were high profile on our cup run.  This season his role has been different but he stands out less to the casual fan...the hope is that the pros / scouts realise the worth to the right team. Depending on that view anywhere £2m-6m.  Not very helpful am I?

Brownhill - great age to kick on, huge amount of pro games so young, generally getting better each season.  A few more goals and he’d definitely be at the top end of my £5-8m range.

Bit difficult imho to value both.

• Like 1

This is an offshoot to one of my favourite topics here - we need to understand the ballpark we’re playing in here when it comes to cost.

We’re a promotion challenging championship team. On that basis the following ring true:

Watkins - £1m - Squad player

Moore - £1.5m - Potential for starter in future, but buying potential

Elliasson - £2m - 12 months away from starting at signing, buying potential

Engvall - Well, less said - But was thought to be a Moore/Elliasson type

On that basis - Palmer - £4m. Possible starter now with added upside potential = going rate for where we are.

And that, in addition to the “try before you buy” ensuring he fits in, is why I’d think this will happen

2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

This is an offshoot to one of my favourite topics here - we need to understand the ballpark we’re playing in here when it comes to cost.

We’re a promotion challenging championship team. On that basis the following ring true:

On that basis - Palmer - £4m. Possible starter now with added upside potential = going rate for where we are.

And that, in addition to the “try before you buy” ensuring he fits in, is why I’d think this will happen

Got no idea how the rest of the season will pan out for City or KP, but I like what I see, we know he’ll fit in or not, so although £4m is not peanuts I think it’s a very sensible price.

There is of course a chance that this season’s 4141 is just part of an evolution / tweak towards another formation which Kasey fits perfectly.  He may be being bought now with next season more in mind.

20 minutes ago, Taz said:

Young, potential to grow is there, has already done well with Huddersfield at this level. Providing he improves, if/when he moves on, that value will only increase. Is there a risk? Of course there is - as there is with any transfer of any value. 

We're playing at a level where transfer fees are going to be in the millions - the days of £1-2m signings being expensive are gone. Those figures are now considered "punts", maybe in line with the £300-400k signings of 8-10 years ago.

If you want to compete at this level, you have to spend the money. SL realises this. That is one of the reasons for the ground redevelopment. He isn't afraid to spend the money, providing we have value for it. With that in mind, thats why we sign younger players.

£4m on a 28 year old Kasey Palmer would never happen, as we wouldn't see a return on him.

The interesting one would be Kalas, as I expect that figure to be at least £2-3m more....

Listened to a bit of Talksport Drivetime this afternoon and they were discussing Frank Lampard's Derby.

AS Derby fan rang in to say that they are suffering the after effects of 4 years or so ago when they paid top dollar for average players that are now deadweight and holding back the team development.

That is where we were 7/8 years ago, but our recent transfer activity seems much more positive, with the squad and team improving all the time and with young players developing at the club, so that even if they do look to move on there is good profit for the club. Palmer definitely fits well into that category.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Got no idea how the rest of the season will pan out for City or KP, but I like what I see, we know he’ll fit in or not, so although £4m is not peanuts I think it’s a very sensible price.

There is of course a chance that this season’s 4141 is just part of an evolution / tweak towards another formation which Kasey fits perfectly.  He may be being bought now with next season more in mind.

Do you think Palmer could play the Brownhill role? I’d say no because I am not sure he has the defensive instincts but seems LJ is drilling that in to him. Possibly playing there with a more defensive midfielder than Pack? Maybe against tougher teams to break down? Think it could be an option but not totally convinced. 

10 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

My problem with this is I don’t think we should be buying squad players. Or paying a fee anyway. Jack Hunt and Watkins for me would have been good additions on frees(like Pisano) but I’d like to see us stop paying fees for over 25 year olds. Obviously there can be slight exceptions like a 26 year old Kalas(think he is too pricy for us anyway)!

I am under the theory that it was a 5 year plan for the premier league under LJ. Perhaps that is why we are still buying players like Hunt and Watkins. Meaning think they are here because we are still a couple years away from the youth thing churning out replacements for sales. We are getting very close to that but most our best crop of youngsters are at L2 or lower as of this season. 

Agree about Palmer though. For an experienced 22 year old with top academy training in his position is about the going rate if not cheaper. Think if a player like Palmer wants to come to Bristol City you sign him up. 

3 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Listened to a bit of Talksport Drivetime this afternoon and they were discussing Frank Lampard's Derby.

AS Derby fan rang in to say that they are suffering the after effects of 4 years or so ago when they paid top dollar for average players that are now deadweight and holding back the team development.

That is where we were 7/8 years ago, but our recent transfer activity seems much more positive, with the squad and team improving all the time and with young players developing at the club, so that even if they do look to move on there is good profit for the club. Palmer definitely fits well into that category.

I can’t see it getting much better for Derby after this season either. Paid quite a bit for Waghorn who is another to add to that kind of list. 3 of their starters are loans who will go back. They are losing some big salaries though and did buy Marriott which looks good business but they have a mini rebuild on their hands if they do not go up this season. 

We could have easily fell back into it too under Coterill. The man did some great things here and don’t want to sound too harsh but probably a blessing he went when he did. There have been some rough moments since and the club have learned some hard lessons along the way but how we look from a football club perspective is so much better than 4 years ago. Looking back on it, LJ has had to guide this club through some difficult times. I know it is not just him but he has had his hand in everything since he has been here. Can’t have been easy stress wise. Possibly now things are smoother off the pitch in terms of recruitment, youth, stadium etc he has now had more time to focus on improving his tactics and such. Just a thought but regardless of what happens the rest of this season I can only see us going further next season and the one after

7 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Do you think Palmer could play the Brownhill role? I’d say no because I am not sure he has the defensive instincts but seems LJ is drilling that in to him. Possibly playing there with a more defensive midfielder than Pack? Maybe against tougher teams to break down? Think it could be an option but not totally convinced. 

My problem with this is I don’t think we should be buying squad players. Or paying a fee anyway. Jack Hunt and Watkins for me would have been good additions on frees(like Pisano) but I’d like to see us stop paying fees for over 25 year olds. Obviously there can be slight exceptions like a 26 year old Kalas(think he is too pricy for us anyway)!

I am under the theory that it was a 5 year plan for the premier league under LJ. Perhaps that is why we are still buying players like Hunt and Watkins. Meaning think they are here because we are still a couple years away from the youth thing churning out replacements for sales. We are getting very close to that but most our best crop of youngsters are at L2 or lower as of this season. 

Agree about Palmer though. For an experienced 22 year old with top academy training in his position is about the going rate if not cheaper. Think if a player like Palmer wants to come to Bristol City you sign him up. 

I think the sentiments laudable but isn’t the reality. Without wanting to come over all Alan Hansen, it’s difficult for a young team to all come through together. You need, generally, those seasoned pros. And if you don’t pay a fee for a 26 year old who will consider it his peak contract, you can be damn sure you’ll pay it in wages - even if it’s £5k p/w difference on a 3 year contract that’s still akin to an extra £0.75m 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think the sentiments laudable but isn’t the reality. Without wanting to come over all Alan Hansen, it’s difficult for a young team to all come through together. You need, generally, those seasoned pros. And if you don’t pay a fee for a 26 year old who will consider it his peak contract, you can be damn sure you’ll pay it in wages - even if it’s £5k p/w difference on a 3 year contract that’s still akin to an extra £0.75m 

Idk. Part of me agrees and part of me thinks you can be young and experienced. I look at Brownhill and Webster 22-23 years old and 100-150 champ games. That is pretty seasoned and I am not sure a 25 year old with 50 more games will give you any more. 

Obviously aimed more towards Watkins than say Hunt or Weimann who look good value. Don’t see the point of buying a 26 year old squad player. He is not even on the bench tonight. If they become a squad player over time like Bailey Wright then that is fine. BW a good example as he was bought right on that line at about 25 years old and had his time and better has come in. Now he is an experienced squad player. 

Not worth 4m from what I have seen to date. Looked very good in a couple of sub appearances and bang average in the rest. Has been a passenger tonight, though in fairness so have Pack and Brownhill.

It's a decision-making problem really. He needs to know when and where to take risks and try his magic