IGNORED

Penalty fares on the train

phantom

Just before Xmas we travelled into TM from worle one evening. Ticket machine not working and no guard on train. As you can't get out out of TM without a ticket we joined a queue to buy tickets to exit. Whilst in the queue, unbeknown at the time, there was a guy undercover listening to our conversations. We bought the correct tickets yet he still investigated us, asking our postcodes etc. Gave us a lecture on buying correct tickets, even though we did! Was good to know British transport could afford his wages to catch people out, yet couldn't put a guard on a train

On 26/02/2019 at 11:34, phantom said:

Just noticed the in the courts section on the Bristol Post website all the cases below were on the same day, there a similar sized list in the Weston Mercury last week too.

I always thought the fine was £20 or the equivilent single fare travelled whatever was the greater amount

All the compensation seem to be for £190 + the cost of the original ticket - has something changed in the area?

Johnathan Barrett, 35, of Potters Hill, Felton, Bristol, was fined £220 and ordered to pay costs and compensation of £197, for travelling on a train without paying a fare of £7.

Sarah Boukhemkhem, 35, of Moorfield Road, Backwell, Bristol, was fined £60 and ordered to pay costs and compensation of £194.70, for travelling on a train without paying a fare of £4.70.

James Brazil, 31, of Davey Road, Tewkesbury, was fined £220 and ordered to pay costs and compensation of £207.40, for travelling on a train without paying a fare of £17.40.

James Cooke, 21, of Boundary Road, Coalpit Heath, Bristol, was fined £220 and ordered to pay costs and compensation of £220.10, for travelling on a train without paying a fare of £30.10.

Christopher Ellis, of Kelfield Avenue, Birmingham, was fined £300 and ordered to pay costs and compensation of £248.90, for travelling on a train without paying a fare of £58.90 and for not passing through the barrier in the correct manner.

Michael Foster, 39, of Railway Close, Westbury, was fined £220 and ordered to pay costs and compensation of £23.40, for failing to hand over a ticket for inspection and verification of validity when asked to do so by an authorised person when not in a designated compulsory ticket area on a railway.

Zeeshan Haseeb, 22, of Coventry Road, Ilford, was fined £220 and ordered to pay costs and compensation of £310.70, for travelling on a train without paying a fare of £120.70.

Darren Heredith, 51, of Clapton Walk, Bristol, was fined £220 and ordered to pay costs and compensation of £197.80, for travelling on a train without paying a fare of £7.80.

David Hodson, 37, of Walton Road, Oldbury, was fined £220 and ordered to pay costs and compensation of £248.90, for travelling on a train without paying a fare of £58.90.

Richard House, 48, of Holbaek Close, Dorchester, was fined £220 and ordered to pay costs and compensation of £208.10, for travelling on a train without paying a fare of £18.10.

Darren Inkpen, 48, of Room 5 Amigos Back-Packers, Morgan Avenue, Torquay, was fined £220 and ordered to pay costs and compensation of £262, for travelling on a train without paying a fare of £72.

Lester Lloyd, 36, of Clare House, Hawthorn Avenue, London, was fined £220 and ordered to pay costs and compensation of £295.70, for travelling on a train without paying a fare of £105.70.

Dean Ludlow, 46, of St Clements Court, Soundwell Road, Bristol, was fined £220 and ordered to pay costs and compensation of £248.80, for travelling on a train without paying a fare of £58.80.

Thomas McDonald, 51, of Appleby Drive, Bootle, Liverpool, was fined £300 and ordered to pay costs and compensation of £201, for travelling on a train without paying a fare of £11 and for not passing through the barrier in the correct manner.

Danial Parsons, of Heol-Y-Gwrgan, Port Talbot, Wales, was fined £60 and ordered to pay costs and compensation of £212.20, for travelling on a train without paying a fare of £22.20.

Jamie Powise, 24, of Jaycroft Road, Burnham-on-Sea, was fined £220 and ordered to pay costs and compensation of £201, for travelling on a train without paying a fare of £11.

Christopher Smart, 27, of Tudor Road, Hanham, was fined £220 and ordered to pay costs and compensation of £193, for travelling on a train without paying a fare of £3.

Anil Teji, 36, of Calrton Road, London, was fined £220 and ordered to pay costs and compensation of £301, for entering a train for the purpose of travelling without having a valid ticket.

Simon Valler, 36, of Jamaica Street, was fined £220 and ordered to pay costs and compensation of £257.50, for failing to hand over a ticket for inspection and verification of validity when asked to do so by an authorised person when not in a designated compulsory ticket area on a railway.

Natasha Wilson, 35, of Sandyleaze, Gloucester, was fined £220 and ordered to pay costs and compensation of £207.40, for travelling on a train without paying a fare of £17.40.

I may be wrong but I think these fines are for people who didn't pay the original penalty fare for whatever reason. They make out they've no money on them, get issued a penalty fare and never pay it. 

The penalty fare is actually quite reasonable and most pay it with just a small moan.  However if you ignore it you could end up with a £1000 fine for what would have been maybe a £4.50 journey 

• Admin
On 28/02/2019 at 09:44, bobbyhutchscurlymullet said:

Just before Xmas we travelled into TM from worle one evening. Ticket machine not working and no guard on train. As you can't get out out of TM without a ticket we joined a queue to buy tickets to exit. Whilst in the queue, unbeknown at the time, there was a guy undercover listening to our conversations. We bought the correct tickets yet he still investigated us, asking our postcodes etc. Gave us a lecture on buying correct tickets, even though we did! Was good to know British transport could afford his wages to catch people out, yet couldn't put a guard on a train

There would have been one, there are no DOO (Driver Operated Only) services in this part of the country.  He/she may not have bothered to walk through checking/selling tickets, but the train would not have run without a guard.

• Admin
4 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

There would have been one, there are no DOO (Driver Operated Only) services in this part of the country.  He/she may not have bothered to walk through checking/selling tickets, but the train would not have run without a guard.

As a regular commuter the biggest problem is consistency, it depends on the guard and the look of the person whether they are assisted or not 

When at university the station by me wasn't manned and the ticket machine was usually out of order, so would get on the train and buy a ticket on board.

The trains themselves were either absolutely empty, and so the conductor didn't bother going round, or so full (when rugby was on) that it was impossible for him to get through.

3 hours ago, ... said:

The system - in large - has an honesty based element.

The fact so many people are not honest is a reflection on our society.

Situation normal - hard working, honest folk, subsidising scum.

It’s not society, it’s humanity. We’ve never had a human civilisation that doesn’t have dishonesty and we never will.

I agree that hard working people are subsidising scum though. Just look at the scummy idiots that own and run the rail network.

On 27/02/2019 at 09:16, Undy English said:

Agree entirely. Yes you should always buy a ticket, but £150 quid to travel to London and back is criminal. Can fly abroad for cheaper.

A neat little trick I use if traveling somewhere like Crewe or any station between Bristol and Holyhead is to buy a rail sail ticket. Standard fare is around 55 quid single and can get them at pretty much that price even the day before travelling. 

On 03/03/2019 at 17:51, BS2 Red said:

It’s not society, it’s humanity. We’ve never had a human civilisation that doesn’t have dishonesty and we never will.

I agree that hard working people are subsidising scum though. Just look at the scummy idiots that own and run the rail network.

Are they scummy idiots - it's not even been Nationalised yet ..............

It happens all over the country I see it from Worle to Parson Street loads don't pay and from Portsmouth to Fratton hardly anyone pays,its probably happening all over the country where you have stations without ticket machines to get out easy to get away with and only because the fairs are so expensive. 

Wife and I spent a week in Berlin a few years ago.

We bought tickets to cover all of Berlin (approx radius of 25km) on U-bahn, S-bahn, bus and tram. Cost of ticket was €32  for 7 days.

Not once did we have to show ticket or put it in a machine. It is considered a serious crime in Germany to travel without ticket as anyone doing so is ostracized by all friends and neighbours.

So everyone buys a ticket!

On 15/03/2019 at 10:44, cidered abroad said:

We bought tickets to cover all of Berlin (approx radius of 25km) on U-bahn, S-bahn, bus and tram. Cost of ticket was €32  for 7 days.

Not once did we have to show ticket or put it in a machine. It is considered a serious crime in Germany to travel without ticket as anyone doing so is ostracized by all friends and neighbours.

Helps that the price isn't a matter of extortion though.

On 15/03/2019 at 11:44, cidered abroad said:

It is the same in Munich.

Somehow, it always feels quite disconcerting to simply walk on to the U/S bahn without even having to show your ticket, let alone pass through a barrier, although you do have to validate your ticket on your first trip.

There are frequent ticket controls though and, as you say, the fines are apparently quite stiff.  

On 22/03/2019 at 15:59, cidered abroad said:

Yesterday evening, I travelled from Highbridge & Burnham to Parson Street and return, without being able to purchase a ticket. No ticket machines on either station and no ticket collectors on either train. Appalling!

I hope you contacted the train company after your journey to offer the due payment. If you didn't then you are nothing more than a drain on society according to BigTone. 

Sorry old thread, but whilst on the subject of tickets as this thread has turned out to be:

I once purchased a set of tickets a travel date, and a return date, all online. I was going to be spending a weeks holiday in Jersey with her family. 

The day before we leave however, she dumps me. So I decided whats the point of being there and asked for a lift to the station, her mum took me.

BEAR in mind, that my "return ticket" wasnt dated for another 10 days later, however, I explained the situation to the station guard at Royston in Hertforshire.... He let me through, got to Kings Cross, had to explain again at the ticket gates when the train arrived.... They let me through... Went on the Underground and again I was let through... Got to Paddington however.... DENIED..... They told me I had to spend £40 quid to change the date on the ticket as the ticket wasnt valid... I tried explaining to them that I got from Royston to Paddington without a problem but staff at Paddington were having none of it. They actually said that they didnt care and wouldn't let me pass unless I had a ticket with the days date on it. £40 I then had to pay to get home. Barstewards GWR

4 hours ago, CrazyInWeston said:

Sorry old thread, but whilst on the subject of tickets as this thread has turned out to be:

I once purchased a set of tickets a travel date, and a return date, all online. I was going to be spending a weeks holiday in Jersey with her family. 

The day before we leave however, she dumps me. So I decided whats the point of being there and asked for a lift to the station, her mum took me.

BEAR in mind, that my "return ticket" wasnt dated for another 10 days later, however, I explained the situation to the station guard at Royston in Hertforshire.... He let me through, got to Kings Cross, had to explain again at the ticket gates when the train arrived.... They let me through... Went on the Underground and again I was let through... Got to Paddington however.... DENIED..... They told me I had to spend £40 quid to change the date on the ticket as the ticket wasnt valid... I tried explaining to them that I got from Royston to Paddington without a problem but staff at Paddington were having none of it. They actually said that they didnt care and wouldn't let me pass unless I had a ticket with the days date on it. £40 I then had to pay to get home. Barstewards GWR

London for you.

1 hour ago, CrazyInWeston said:

You say that, but both the underground and Kings Cross are in London and I got through that fine by explaining. Kings Cross operate using GNER and FCC. TFL run the underground. I blame GWR as they run Paddington.

Paddington=Peruvian customer service.

Archived