IGNORED

Johnson out

just like watching brazil

36 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Can honestly say have never booed in 54 years of watching the City.

It's just the hope that kills you.  If we get our normal defeat at Preston I fear that's it for another season.

I know people will say with all these games to go anything is possible.

But a finish about 10th in the league looks to me about right.

Bang on...... we won't be a in the PO come the end with no proven striker again we should have invested but didn't and the more worrying factor is come summer we will see Kalas return to Chelsea and COD depart to where ever and we start again. 

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

Winds me up that we have fans who revel in our loss. We have had one loss in about 15 games that we maybe should win on paper. Some fans don’t deserve promotion 

Wow that's harsh! Bet they're reconsidering their opinions now. Hit 'em where it hurts eh?

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

Winds me up that we have fans who revel in our loss. We have had one loss in about 15 games that we maybe should win on paper. Some fans don’t deserve promotion 

1 hour ago, Alan Dicks said:

We'll we've waited a long long time, 43 years since the last one.

This was the chain of comments

1 hour ago, Wanderingred said:

He was talking about promotion to the top flight. Last one was in 1976... 43 years ago.

45 minutes ago, Alan Dicks said:

1976 was the last time we celebrated promotion to the top flight pal.

No mention of the top flight there.

"some fans don't deserve promotion"

"not had one for 43 years"

No mention of the top flight pals.

48 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Can anyone name our last poor performance before tonight please?

A good while ago....but in fairness been quite a few poor first 45 minutes, where we’ve improved enough in the second half.  That’s the Championship though, no divine right to dominate anyone and vice verse.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

A good while ago....but in fairness been quite a few poor first 45 minutes, where we’ve improved enough in the second half.  That’s the Championship though, no divine right to dominate anyone and vice verse.

Seems to be a plan as well, go out to not lose the first half and go on to win in the 2nd. Sadly if we do concede it makes it hard as we are not a free scoring as the teams around us (well other than Boro).

19 hours ago, Dredd said:

The booing at half time and full time was ridiculous. Some people need to have a word with themselves. 

First time you’ve seen City lose at home since November and you boo. Get a grip 

Yeh, can't understand why Steve Lansdown felt the need to boo.

and head-butting Mark Ashton was a bit OTT.

On 26/02/2019 at 22:27, Spike said:

I think it's more fans revelling in being able to hold something over other fans. 

Our fans are bloody awful at times, it's like no-one can be in that middle ground, it's either all out doom and gloom or taking about us like we're unstoppable. 

We have fans who are always negative or silent and we have fans who talk like we can do no wrong and everything will work out in the end. The biggest issue is both types seem to get some twisted enjoyment out of antagonising the other. 

On one hand we have some fans talking about the season being over or we're going to finish lower than mid table now etc. 

On the other hand some fans will say "it's only a blip" or 5 losses from now "oh we're still only 6 points behind the play offs" etc

Both of these sets of fans trigger people because they're so all or nothing. I personally don't think we'll finish top 6 but it doesn't mean we can't. The team issue right now is we're more on a losing streak and we've been here before, it's understandable that some fans may over react but it doesn't help when we have some fans who seem to be in denial that this is potentially the start of a run that could see us fall out of contention. 

Does this reflect the fact that since LJ took charge  we don't perform like a "normal" team.

We seem to do sublime to ridiculous better than any one else - lurching from promotion form to relegation form, apparently at the drop of a hat. LJ's appointment polarised fans' opinions and I think this is the issue that causes a lot of the extreme opinions to which you refer. A losing streak tends to see many that didn't really want LJ in the first place airing their views, as a poor run "justifies" their original view. On the other hand, a good run ( such as we've recently experienced) brings out those strongly supporting LJ as they feel their view is reinforecd and "justified" by solid results. In both cases, the nature of a forum means that there will always be some looking to make an argument about the issue.

I suspect that the majority of fans fall somewhere between the extremes - as I do. They probably see that the club is moving steadily in the right direction, both on and off the pitch and that things are certainly much more positive than they looked 5 years ago. I also suspect that this middle ground group see LJ improving as a head coach but that he makes mistakes - but less than was the case a couple of years ago. They probably also see that despite selling some key players, the squad is better and stronger and that we are starting to see the benefit of the club's player policy as far as bringing in your players and developing our own academy.

Does it mean that they are happy with everything and that all in the garden is rosy? No, not at all, but by the same token perhaps they don't think the season will be over if we lose at Preston, even though  they ill be a bit nervous given our track record in recent seasons! The team performed heroically to haul themselves into contention and it was always going to be that case that the unbeaten run would end, and looking at the run of games coming up that it would end with a few poor results. The crucial thing is that LJ now earns his corn by getting the players re-grouped and re-focussed and picking up positive results.

On a forum it's all too easy to hear only those that shout the loudest, and particularly those that try and shout down anyone with a contrary opinion to their own. There are probably lots of forum members who don't express their views for fear of what will come back at them, meaning that you can be left with just the extreme  views  at each end of the spectrum. 

10 hours ago, downendcity said:

Does this reflect the fact that since LJ took charge  we don't perform like a "normal" team.

We seem to do sublime to ridiculous better than any one else - lurching from promotion form to relegation form, apparently at the drop of a hat. LJ's appointment polarised fans' opinions and I think this is the issue that causes a lot of the extreme opinions to which you refer. A losing streak tends to see many that didn't really want LJ in the first place airing their views, as a poor run "justifies" their original view. On the other hand, a good run ( such as we've recently experienced) brings out those strongly supporting LJ as they feel their view is reinforecd and "justified" by solid results. In both cases, the nature of a forum means that there will always be some looking to make an argument about the issue.

It's been like this as long as I've used the forums, long before LJ and it'll be just as bad long after he's gone. 

One thing that really doesn't help is the post reactions, it almost encourages people to pander to popular opinions to get some thanks or likes. It also encourages more arguing when people get butt hurt over being given an egg plant or unicorn etc

I personally like to use the forums for debate, just because someone disagrees it doesn't mean they need to be childish and turn personal but it seems to happen a lot. 

On 26/02/2019 at 21:49, RedDave said:

What a load of rubbish you write. We all want our club to do well. However, we are the eternal chokers when faced with an opportunity to progress up toward the Premier League, First Division, Top Tier, call it what you will.

Apart from 1975-76, we have failed, miserably?, to get there.

I don't know your age RedDave but for me, we had chances in several years to get near the top and stay there with a chance, but we blow it.

In the 1950's we had Atyeo, an England international in his prime but we contrived to get relegated instead.

Again in 1967 we were in with a real shout until Easter when we lost at home to Southampton with an own goal and three days later leading 2-1 at The Dell we conceded well into injury time.

Saint's went up and since then have spent most of their time in the top league with even a few Wembley cup finals that were not "Mickey Mouse".

We have just carried on bouncing up and down between 2 and 3 and going gaga at Freight Rover cups.

Last season we bottled it. Will we do so this season?

I'm not bitter as it isn't quite as important as real life but just a wish that my club from England's seventh biggest City, will actually make it.

17 hours ago, downendcity said:

I suspect that the majority of fans fall somewhere between the extremes - as I do. They probably see that the club is moving steadily in the right direction, both on and off the pitch and that things are certainly much more positive than they looked 5 years ago. I also suspect that this middle ground group see LJ improving as a head coach but that he makes mistakes - but less than was the case a couple of years ago. They probably also see that despite selling some key players, the squad is better and stronger and that we are starting to see the benefit of the club's player policy as far as bringing in your players and developing our own academy.

Does it mean that they are happy with everything and that all in the garden is rosy? No, not at all, but by the same token perhaps they don't think the season will be over if we lose at Preston, even though  they ill be a bit nervous given our track record in recent seasons! The team performed heroically to haul themselves into contention and it was always going to be that case that the unbeaten run would end, and looking at the run of games coming up that it would end with a few poor results. The crucial thing is that LJ now earns his corn by getting the players re-grouped and re-focussed and picking up positive results.

On a forum it's all too easy to hear only those that shout the loudest, and particularly those that try and shout down anyone with a contrary opinion to their own. There are probably lots of forum members who don't express their views for fear of what will come back at them, meaning that you can be left with just the extreme  views  at each end of the spectrum. 

Well written DC.

Was chatting to a City fan in work today, and I’m kinda at the point where the non-results side of LJ (selection policy, formation / style, recruitment) I see improvements that I think show learning.  These were things where I believe I was right to be critical without ever being LJ Out (Preston in 16/17 being the exception) previously.

League position is of course a good indicator of progress too.  That is good (very good really), but when a couple of points can separate 3,4,5 sides we need to have some context.  Would 10th with less points than last season be progress?  Not that I think we’ll finish 10th.

These next 13 games are a bit of a mini-season in reality.  We will learn a lot more about LJ and our players over the next 2 and a bit months.

Archived