IGNORED

When Were We That Poor?

And Its Smith

Absolute social media meltdown tonight across OTIB, Facebook and Twitter.

We were poor, very poor.

Bur, when were we poor before tonight? Mid/late November by my recognition. So why not keep the faith, show some support and realise that Leeds, WBA, Boro and Derby have all put in equally worse displays, and more of them than us, in the last 3 months 

Tbf Dave, I ignore the bcfc Facebook and twitter mentions as they seem to be populated by people who have less IQ than age. 

As for here, other than Bessexs bizarre rant, I’m seeing a fairly balanced response. We were poor, but the criticism is tempered by the fact we’ve been good prior.

Is it really that bad?

3 minutes ago, RedDave said:

We were poor, very poor.

Bur, when were we poor before tonight? Mid/late November by my recognition. So why not keep the faith, show some support and realise that Leeds, WBA, Boro and Derby have all put in equally worse displays, and more of them than us, in the last 3 months 

I haven't seen the Leeds, WBA etc displays that you refer to, but I very much doubt they were equally worse. In fact I'd suggest that's not possible.

13 minutes ago, RedDave said:

We were poor, very poor.

First half against QPR. 

9 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

We were pretty damn poor against Brentford and Rotherham at home tbh.

That was during our “ playing crap but grinding out a result period” just before we got good. Which doesn’t count. 

We were poor tonight no doubt but I will give Birmingham some credit. They harried us all over the pitch and knocked us off our stride . Couple that with our normally more influential players having a bad night . 

One thing I’ve said on here more than once. Famara is not good enough to carry us to the play offs. In situations like tonight then a plan b of playing the channels and having a striker that can hold the ball up , take pressure off the back 4 , turn their defence and bring our attacking midfield into play . Palmer could then play off him 20 yards further up the pitch. Unfortunately his first touch, game awareness and reading of the game is not championship standard imo.   

We haven’t really been great during the run. We grind out results usually with a stellar defense. We have conceded 4 in 2. We lost both. Goals have been a problem all year and that won’t change. If we get back to conceding the odd goal here and there we will stay in the mix. The football picked up the back end of the streak but reckon that was down to confidence being sky high. Rare you keep that for 5-6 months straight. Go back to grinding them out and who knows, we may end the season with 10 or so unbeaten

Worst first half this season. But you also have to give credit to Brum, who were organised and slick and knew exactly what our game is and negated it. Reluctant credit, because their fans are such ****wits.

Other than the very early goal, we showed what we were about this season in the second half and I guess but for that unlucky deflection, it could've ended 1-1. That would've flattered us, as words cannot convey to those not at the game how outclassed we were for 47 minutes.

I know no one likes a tinker man, but the fact that our system is so predictable is making us vulnerable. An astute manager like Monk can tell his team exactly what to do.

I'd like us to start two men up front.

11 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

We haven’t really been great during the run. We grind out results usually with a stellar defense. We have conceded 4 in 2. We lost both. Goals have been a problem all year and that won’t change. If we get back to conceding the odd goal here and there we will stay in the mix. The football picked up the back end of the streak but reckon that was down to confidence being sky high. Rare you keep that for 5-6 months straight. Go back to grinding them out and who knows, we may end the season with 10 or so unbeaten

FIVE!?

12 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Worst first half this season. But you also have to give credit to Brum, who were organised and slick and knew exactly what our game is and negated it. Reluctant credit, because their fans are such ****wits.

Other than the very early goal, we showed what we were about this season in the second half and I guess but for that unlucky deflection, it could've ended 1-1. That would've flattered us, as words cannot convey to those not at the game how outclassed we were for 47 minutes.

I know no one likes a tinker man, but the fact that our system is so predictable is making us vulnerable. An astute manager like Monk can tell his team exactly what to do.

I'd like us to start two men up front.

I think part of it was playing Norwich on the weekend. They aren’t so direct in their passing and our high line worked for a bit. We played a high line again last night just a few days later and Brum were just lofting balls over Kalas and Webster for Adams to run on to.

Think this happened when we played Preston a couple years ago. We beat Cardiff by playing a certain way and Neil came out and said in their tape of the game they knew to get their midfielders close to djuric to pick up the knockdowns. 

We need to be a bit more clever at times in our gameplans. Maybe same formation but different personnel and different type of game like sitting a bit deeper and countering with pace. Not the easiest to do when at AG however

26 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I think part of it was playing Norwich on the weekend. They aren’t so direct in their passing and our high line worked for a bit. We played a high line again last night just a few days later and Brum were just lofting balls over Kalas and Webster for Adams to run on to.

Think this happened when we played Preston a couple years ago. We beat Cardiff by playing a certain way and Neil came out and said in their tape of the game they knew to get their midfielders close to djuric to pick up the knockdowns. 

We need to be a bit more clever at times in our gameplans. Maybe same formation but different personnel and different type of game like sitting a bit deeper and countering with pace. Not the easiest to do when at AG however

I take your point and I'm not necessarily disagreeing - but I think you've been a bit harsh.

The fact we've been able to win nine games in a row against a variety of opposition, tactics and formations (we played long-ball Bolton, possession-based Swansea and counter-attacking Blackburn in succession, for example) suggests this is exactly what we've been doing really well. Sometimes on the night, whatever the tactics, the other team is just better than you.

As a wider point, I do think there's been a huge overreaction to last night's performance and result born out of last season's collapse. Fans are thinking 'here we go again', understandably, and that means people aren't necessarily taking the defeat in isolation.

I actually think - and hope - going to in-form Preston on Saturday for a fixture we never seem to do well in will probably suit us. The pressure is back off.

49 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

I take your point and I'm not necessarily disagreeing - but I think you've been a bit harsh.

The fact we've been able to win nine games in a row against a variety of opposition, tactics and formations (we played long-ball Bolton, possession-based Swansea and counter-attacking Blackburn in succession, for example) suggests this is exactly what we've been doing really well. Sometimes on the night, whatever the tactics, the other team is just better than you.

As a wider point, I do think there's been a huge overreaction to last night's performance and result born out of last season's collapse. Fans are thinking 'here we go again', understandably, and that means people aren't necessarily taking the defeat in isolation.

I actually think - and hope - going to in-form Preston on Saturday for a fixture we never seem to do well in will probably suit us. The pressure is back off.

The pressure will always be on the players while we are still around the top 6,doesn’t matter what lee or anyone else tells them they will know it deep down

6 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Just listened to Lee’s post-match audio.  Again a very mature interview.  He mentioned that Norwich was the most miles the team had run other than the 2 of the 3 Manchester games last season.  I think that had an effect on certain players.  Brownhill was fairly insignificant last night, and you usually at least see little segments of the game where he drives us on.  Just one of those nights.

Birmingham are well drilled, but perhaps their style is better at coping without rotation.  Look at their first eleven players on this list:- their team is the same 9 players (Camp, Colin, Pedersen, Dean, Morrison, Gardner, Keftenbeld, Adams, Jutkiewicz) week in week out with their wide players sharing the rest (Jota, Maghoma and Mohoney - recently Mrabti).

F7A5084D-1E25-4440-96E9-D1AA5629DBC2.thumb.jpeg.448db83bae41660e461c28c7f3ce9617.jpeg

I think the difference between them and us is that they can keep 8 outfield players behind the ball (saving energy) and pump up hopeful balls because they have a front two, and more margin for error.  Adams is top notch, coming short or going long, and Jutkiewicz is mobile for a big guy.  Monk has certainly made the best of what he’s got.

Archived