IGNORED

The need for calm

ollywhyte

I can't help but feel the players have got caught up in the emotion and the undercurrent of tension around Ashton Gate to cement a top 6 finish. The momentum we built was on the back of fearless performances, full of bravery and no pressure. To me it's no surprise that we seemingly play better when in losing positions because we play without any pressure and thrive as the underdog. Our position now has naturally intensified the demand for performances from fans. 

The 'under the radar' momentum also seems to have disappeared and I'm now seeing LJ's face appear on more and more programs, new stories and blogs on social media. 

We need to take a step back from that national exposure and get back to playing with no fear. No fear of dropping out of that top 6, because comparitevely speaking, our net spend, squad strength and club size in comparison to those around us, it's clear we are overachieving. We have nothing to lose, and shouldn't get caught up in what is their to gain. It will either happen or it won't. 

The need for calm isn't just on the playing staff side either. I have seen some ridiculous posts on here and social media tonight. After the run we have been on, I think we can allow the lads a slip up. Just look at how many dropped points Derby have had recently. It's all about our response now.

We have 13 league games remaining, 13 league games to get behind the lads and spur them onto victory. Nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Lets give it a bleddy good go, one game at a time as one united club. No wild talk of play offs, if we play the way we know we can that will take care of itself. 

Relax, breath and enjoy the rollercoaster. Who knows where we may end up! I wouldn't have it any other way.

Come on City!! 

Spot on. So many posters saying City are panicking under the pressure .......”hello” , I think it’s actually us who are doing that and 20000 people collectively crapping themselves every time a pass doesn’t come off will guarantee our fate . Come on people , lets stay calm and stop reaching out for an excuse to say “same old story” !!!

4 hours ago, hodge said:

Tbh I think Birmingham just did a job on us, clear game plan executed well which we fell into and the ref helped them out with

They may well have sussed how to play us. They aren't the first and won't be the last.

1 hour ago, mozo said:

The pressure is, sadly, now even bigger at Preston away. We can slip out of the top 6. We can allow another rival into the play-off race. Pressure. Pressure. Pressure. 

We really need players who are up for a battle at Deepdale. Our bogey  team for too many seasons. My only hope is that LJ will be firing rockets at a few under-performing players from tonight, and get them fired up. Plus he needs to get his team selection and tactics right. 

So far after two "6-pointers" we have nothing. More performances like tonight in the next 2 games and we will not only be way off the top 2 or 3, we will be out off the top 6 replaced by a team with momentum. And as we know with LJ, he is the streakieat of managers, so we want this run of losses to stop ASAP.

6 hours ago, Baldyman said:

Spot on. So many posters saying City are panicking under the pressure .......”hello” , I think it’s actually us who are doing that and 20000 people collectively crapping themselves every time a pass doesn’t come off will guarantee our fate . Come on people , lets stay calm and stop reaching out for an excuse to say “same old story” !!!

• This time last year we were 6th having played 31 games and with 52points- we are this year 6th, played 33 and have 1 more point 53
  • This time last season we fell away after our cup exit and Wolves defeat....we have likewise.. so far
  • This time last season we loaned a "flyer player" Kent and this season Palmer? both shoehorned into a team that didn't really need them
  • This time last season we failed to sign a proven striker to help Reid we have done the same this season, bringing Semenyo back as a gesture

We in fact reached a higher position last season before falling away badly and I see no reason what so ever that this  wont be repeated again this season, with some really tough games coming up and only Ipswich/Reading  and Wigan home games likely to be "easier" games.

So same old same old indeed will be back end of season to hang my head in shame and laud that LJ has learned something different, but more likely to be the "Same old Story" with still the same believers and non believers around. :sub:

January and early February showed what we can do as a team but there was always going to be a tough period. Now is the time for the team to prove they can dig in, reset themselves and get the results they need. There is no need to be haunted by the ghosts of last season when we had less strength in depth and six of our best XI were different. If we make the play offs then we will have earned it but now is the time to earn it.

I can live with us finishing outside the top six as other teams have larger budgets but, now we are here, I hope the least we do is stay in the fight.

Yesterday was bad. Saturday we start again. Preston usually seem to beat us to puncture a good run. Now is the time for us to beat them to start ourselves back on a good run.

1 hour ago, Bri Stool City said:
  • This time last year we were 6th having played 31 games and with 52points- we are this year 6th, played 33 and have 1 more point 53
  • This time last season we fell away after our cup exit and Wolves defeat....we have likewise.. so far
  • This time last season we loaned a "flyer player" Kent and this season Palmer? both shoehorned into a team that didn't really need them
  • This time last season we failed to sign a proven striker to help Reid we have done the same this season, bringing Semenyo back as a gesture

We in fact reached a higher position last season before falling away badly and I see no reason what so ever that this  wont be repeated again this season, with some really tough games coming up and only Ipswich/Reading  and Wigan home games likely to be "easier" games.

So same old same old indeed will be back end of season to hang my head in shame and laud that LJ has learned something different, but more likely to be the "Same old Story" with still the same believers and non believers around. :sub:

Like clockwork...

10 hours ago, ollywhyte said:

I can't help but feel the players have got caught up in the emotion and the undercurrent of tension around Ashton Gate to cement a top 6 finish. The momentum we built was on the back of fearless performances, full of bravery and no pressure. To me it's no surprise that we seemingly play better when in losing positions because we play without any pressure and thrive as the underdog. Our position now has naturally intensified the demand for performances from fans. 

Said the exact same thing to a mate last night - we always play better when we're 1 nil down at half time, then come out all guns blazing.

11 hours ago, ollywhyte said:

The 'under the radar' momentum also seems to have disappeared and I'm now seeing LJ's face appear on more and more programs, new stories and blogs on social media. 

We need to take a step back from that national exposure and get back to playing with no fear. No fear of dropping out of that top 6, because comparitevely speaking, our net spend, squad strength and club size in comparison to those around us, it's clear we are overachieving. We have nothing to lose, and shouldn't get caught up in what is their to gain. It will either happen or it won't. 

The need for calm isn't just on the playing staff side either. I have seen some ridiculous posts on here and social media tonight. After the run we have been on, I think we can allow the lads a slip up. Just look at how many dropped points Derby have had recently. It's all about our response now.

We have 13 league games remaining, 13 league games to get behind the lads and spur them onto victory. Nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Lets give it a bleddy good go, one game at a time as one united club. No wild talk of play offs, if we play the way we know we can that will take care of itself. 

Relax, breath and enjoy the rollercoaster. Who knows where we may end up! I wouldn't have it any other way.

Come on City!! 

Outstanding post, very well put, and it is true about us not being under the radar now, I've seen LJ several times on Sky Sports News over the weekend and yesterday during the day, even heard a discussion about City that lasted for about 45 seconds, now granted, 45 seconds is not a long time, but I hardly ever hear City mentioned on Sky Sports News during the day.  Usually all things Championship related are Leeds this, Derby that, blah blah blah.

11 hours ago, ollywhyte said:

Come on City!! 

We may as well just go out there and enjoy our football win , lose or draw because we are not good enough,IMHO , to win a two legged play off against the other likely candidates .

We all know where our weakness lies .

If we got to the PO final then it’s as much down to luck as anything else but sadly I can’t see us making it this year.

We have made great progress this season and we just need a little bit more quality for a final push to the Prem.

I just want to see the lads giving it their best in the run in so they won’t have any regrets and not worry about anything else.

9 hours ago, mozo said:

The pressure is, sadly, now even bigger at Preston away. We can slip out of the top 6. We can allow another rival into the play-off race. Pressure. Pressure. Pressure. 

David Bowie and Queen 1981...........Good Single.......thanks for reminding me! ?

Journo..' Are the team short of a striker?'...........LJ  ' We are where we are mate'    LJ,  cue two minute waffle in regarrd to nothing related to the question?  C'mon LJ,  We know, and you know that we lack a decent striker, so at least admit it.  So close.........yet sooooooooooooooo far?  ?

12 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

We may as well just go out there and enjoy our football win , lose or draw because we are not good enough,IMHO , to win a two legged play off against the other likely candidates .

We all know where our weakness lies .

If we got to the PO final then it’s as much down to luck as anything else but sadly I can’t see us making it this year.

We have made great progress this season and we just need a little bit more quality for a final push to the Prem.

I just want to see the lads giving it their best in the run in so they won’t have any regrets and not worry about anything else.

When we started our unbeaten run we were a mid table team, and as the run continued ,and especially after Christmas, although there was pressure to maintain the run, as we gradually closed the gap on the  top 6, it was quite a positive pressure, because we almost had nothing to lose chasing the leaders.

Birmingham have been on a decent run and are sort of in a relatively similar position as we were a month or so ago. Last night they played their game with freedom from pressure because they had nothing to lose, in that they have to go for wins if they are to close the gap on the top 6.

On the other hand, we have gone from chasers, to being in the play off places , in control of our own destiny, there to be shot at but with everything to lose. That creates a negative pressure, and it showed with a stuttering performance full of nervous tension, exacerbated by being put under pressure by the way Birmingham played. 

It is also noticeable that we have started very slowly against Wolves, QPR and now Birmingham -all  home games - only playing any thing like ourselves when having to chase the game in the second half. While at Norwich, arguably the toughest fixture, we played well in the first half only losing to a second half onslaught.

Could it be that home games, rather than being a fortress, could be our undoing due to the nervous tension playing at AG seems to create?  Even though it will be a very tough game, and against a bogey team, fingers crossed that away to Preston we can get back on track with a bit of pressure having be released last night.

8 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Like clockwork...

Tick tock..... time will indeed tell.

Around and around it and we go, you, me and this club aint changing anytime soon either are we? 

We will chat again end of April :sub:

Archived