IGNORED

Ref League Table - Sponsored by Gallup

Davefevs

Agree with all these comments, we didn’t play well enough but the ref really did make it difficult for us. He was so frustrating any little nudge from us resulting in a Brum free kick, any time they did the same to us we’d get nothing. I noticed him pulling us up on throw in positions but not them too.

I was also annoyed by the amount of apathy shown by the crowd, we should’ve all been really getting on his case but it was such a small percentage. We seen against QPR that if the whole crowd gets on the refs case it can really make a difference and could win us a few extra points a season, everyone seemed to be moaning amongst themselves about him but not letting him know how bad he was. 

He wasn't to blame for our lethargy, poor touch, wrong decisions etc. But if he'd given a pen every time Fammy was held around the middle in the box we'd have had another couple of goals. And LJ clearly felt they blocked Pisano' run for their second goal; I wasn't watching that one, but it was certainly a common feature of their game that to deliberately block players from making runs, and the ref let it go every time. One of the worst was early on when the ball Fammy and their defender were both on the half way line, ball goes over them both, their player clearly intent on simply stopping Fammy from turning and running for the ball, and the ref somehow saw backing in. Hopeless. 

7 hours ago, Olé said:

Ref was useless and Fam got pushed over twice in the box second half but it's hard to agree that the ref was really at fault - we simply didn't compete, offered no midfield, couldn't put a foot on the ball and control it until Paterson came on, even Pack didn't really start passing until Webster pushed up into midfield and created space. Sorry to say but our inability to put a foot on the ball and do anything had nothing to do with the referee.

Agree with this,, and let’s remember that it was only in the qpr game that we got a penalty in the last minute which left qpr and mclaren who is normally fairly easy going, going absolutely bananas, and that decision certainly wasnt clear cut!

21 minutes ago, bobbyhutchscurlymullet said:

A similar team to Preston in that respect who managed to cajole the referee into giving them soft free kicks. The same referee as last night. 

Was indeed. And a very similar game, least all our players stayed on the pitch last night though. At least we haven’t got him on Saturday and Cunningham who caused Flint’s to be sent off has moved on too. 

25 minutes ago, simon uk said:

Agree with this,, and let’s remember that it was only in the qpr game that we got a penalty in the last minute which left qpr and mclaren who is normally fairly easy going, going absolutely bananas, and that decision certainly wasnt clear cut!

Yes the same game a perfectly good goal was disallowed

Could not see anything for the free kicks he gave them at the end we were putting pressure and had corners, We were not at our best last night, but the ref was Birmingham's man of the match

1 hour ago, Ohbasso said:

I was also annoyed by the amount of apathy shown by the crowd, we should’ve all been really getting on his case but it was such a small percentage

Not specifically about a reaction to the ref, but I also thought the crowd in all respects was flatter than ever, when we probably needed them most.

I'm well used to my end of the Dolman finding it hard to get going now S82 are at the other end, but even by recent standards it was painfully quiet.

Perhaps poetic justice after marvelling at how silent Norwich fans were on Saturday, but we really didn't sound like we wanted it enough last night.

I know the argument is does team give the crowd a spark or vice versa, but this was a big game and we were neither intimidating or vocal about it. 

9 hours ago, Olé said:

Ref was useless and Fam got pushed over twice in the box second half but it's hard to agree that the ref was really at fault - we simply didn't compete, offered no midfield, couldn't put a foot on the ball and control it until Paterson came on, even Pack didn't really start passing until Webster pushed up into midfield and created space. Sorry to say but our inability to put a foot on the ball and do anything had nothing to do with the referee.

I love the time when the ball came to Fam on the halfway line. He and the defender were tussling for the ball when the guy - it might've been Morrison - pushed Fam to the ground.

Now either that might've been a fair challenge or it was a foul, but the one thing it wasn't was what the ref gave: a foul BY Fammy.  :facepalm:

I thought he actually tried to let the game flow and gave the benefit of the doubt to the players and let lots of things go for both sides. I thought his handling of the  Diedhou Dean situation was excellent as that definitely had the potential to boil over. Matty Taylor should have definitely got a yellow for a late studs up challenge and he let it go. 

Some supporters need to get realistic It can't be easy to control a game like last nights as both teams were committed to win. I would take last nights Ref over Gavin Ward, Keith Stroud and James Linington every day of the week

15 minutes ago, Barry Sheene said:

I thought he actually tried to let the game flow and gave the benefit of the doubt to the players and let lots of things go for both sides. I thought his handling of the  Diedhou Dean situation was excellent as that definitely had the potential to boil over. Matty Taylor should have definitely got a yellow for a late studs up challenge and he let it go. 

Some supporters need to get realistic It can't be easy to control a game like last nights as both teams were committed to win. I would take last nights Ref over Gavin Ward, Keith Stroud and James Linington every day of the week

Really? Their CB's were allowed to do whatever they wanted to Fam, yet when he tried giving some back the ref always gave a foul

12 minutes ago, hodge said:

Really? Their CB's were allowed to do whatever they wanted to Fam, yet when he tried giving some back the ref always gave a foul

Correct. And whenever lucas jut (not gonna even bother trying to spell it) just ran into our defenders with no intention of playing the ball, that was obviously a fair way of challenging. 

6 minutes ago, hodge said:

Not what i seen i thought they both stood their ground and the previous between them made it quite volatile. However in most matches i watch the Ref always seems to favour the defender over the striker so i take that point you have made.

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Not specifically about a reaction to the ref, but I also thought the crowd in all respects was flatter than ever, when we probably needed them most.

I'm well used to my end of the Dolman finding it hard to get going now S82 are at the other end, but even by recent standards it was painfully quiet.

Perhaps poetic justice after marvelling at how silent Norwich fans were on Saturday, but we really didn't sound like we wanted it enough last night.

I know the argument is does team give the crowd a spark or vice versa, but this was a big game and we were neither intimidating or vocal about it. 

Understand different strokes for different folks and all that, but whenever I tried to get behind the team vocally or even scream at the ref for his inability, I got the filthiest looks from the guy in front of me. Couldn't be arsed after that. 

41 minutes ago, Barry Sheene said:

I would take last nights Ref over Gavin Ward, Keith Stroud and James Linington every day of the week

I thought he was the worst ref i've seen in a very long time, and the game could have got out of control very easily. He was appalling.

At one point, Kalas very nearly had his shirt pulled off over his head by their defender, ref totally ignored it, right on the edge of their box.

2 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

I thought he was the worst ref i've seen in a very long time, and the game could have got out of control very easily. He was appalling.

At one point, Kalas very nearly had his shirt pulled off over his head by their defender, ref totally ignored it, right on the edge of their box.

I agree, worst ref I’ve seen for a long time , just horrendous! 

40 minutes ago, Barry Sheene said:

Hmmm. Would I rather my hand was savaged by a Rottweiler, ground in a mincer or thrust into a waste disposal?

You and I (and a lot of other posters, it would seem) have widely differing opinions regarding last night's referee. Let the game flow? I can recall, in the second half, Birmingham picking up the ball from an abortive City set-piece and about to break in numbers when the ref called them back for a foul he'd awarded them on the edge of their area; when in the last 20 minutes, Pack was ankle-tapped from behind (again) but the ball broke to Brownhill who was about to run forward to start an attack with Birmingham players out of position, but the ref called City back to award us the foul; on neither occasion did a booking ensue so there was no reason for the flow of the game to be interrupted.

I'm afraid that when a £100m prize is beckoning, I want and expect officials of a far higher and consistent standard than I witnessed last night. I reiterate the point I made in an earlier post, the ref wasn't to blame for City losing - I want and have come to expect their performance to be of a higher standard too - but the ref added to the misery for the home fans last night with a thoroughly abject performance - in my opinion.

There was one decision in the first half that completely baffled me when Diedhiou has turned to chase a call and Dean, who wasn’t even looking at the ball, has grabbed him and stopped him moving... When he blew his whistle I thought we had finally been given something only for it to go the other way!? Completely inexplainable decision, the ref then had a word with Dean and spent the next 30 seconds following Fammy about to talk to him...

Thought the free kick for the second goal was soft given some of the decisions that weren’t given but don’t think the ref was at fault for the result, he just didn’t help the game!

As a side note I think it highlights how naive we are, don’t think it’s coincidence Birmingham won a lot of decisions and we didn’t!

6 hours ago, Barry Sheene said:

It’s nothing to do with controlling a game, it is all about just plain making bad decisions, and what appears to be clear bias in those decisions, i.e. a disproportionate number of bad decision for one team and not the other.

It shows a clear lack of understanding what a foul is and what isn’t.  You really have to question how the likes of Ward, Linnington and Eltringham have made it up the refereeing ladder.  I have seen Stroud ref us well once (v Leeds) and in non-City games on tv, so he isn’t in the same inept grouping for me....he suffers from Napoleon Complex....and that doesn’t endear him to people.

Of course it’s not an easy game to ref because of the speed.

If you take Baker’s hong-kong-phooey v QPR you could forgive any ref not making the right decision (I think he did personally) because it was at full speed and split second contact.  I saw lots of simple mistakes last night.

It doesn’t excuse our performance, but it doesn’t excuse what is quite shockingly poor officiating either.

The problem is there's not enough refs in the country. I'm quite confident that the group that referee the championship are not as good as those who ref the PL, and better than those who ref in L1.

If we want better refs, we need more of them from top to bottom. The lack of refs mean that the wrong ones get promoted through the ranks far too quickly.

50 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It shows a clear lack of understanding what a foul is and what isn’t.

It wasn't just fouls Dave , really annoying when he pulled us back 2/3 yards to take a throw in the right place, and then watched their LB gallop up the line willy nilly.  
Add that the Linesman our side was incapable of staying anywhere near the last defender. He was even behind play at a free kick with the rugby line on the last man, it took him quite a while to realise.
I would like to see the incident where Fam got booked for being swung round by the shirt.

14 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

It wasn't just fouls Dave , really annoying when he pulled us back 2/3 yards to take a throw in the right place, and then watched their LB gallop up the line willy nilly.  
Add that the Linesman our side was incapable of staying anywhere near the last defender. He was even behind play at a free kick with the rugby line on the last man, it took him quite a while to realise.
I would like to see the incident where Fam got booked for being swung round by the shirt.

You might’ve heard me shouting at the Lino just before that throw in by Pedersen to see how many yards he pinched..

On 26/02/2019 at 23:21, BigAlToby&Liam said:

So was the cock on the other side. No where near the goal line when Adams smashed it against the bar.

The 3 of them were inept.

So much so that me and the boy’s minds are made up.......

Blimey you're harsh! You do realise the linesman should be level with the last defender-he'd have to be Bolt to get to the goal line before the ball got there.

Archived