IGNORED

Best Defence In The League

Berkshire Red

Last night was an example of just how reliant we are on our defence to carry the team. Did anyone think when that 2nd goal went in for Birmingham last night that we would be able to come back and win?

We are all aware our recent success has been largely due to keeping clean sheets and grinding out 1-0 wins, but I wasn't aware how poor our scoring rate had been this year. I had a brief look at the teams around us this season by comparison to us, and we have only scored 3 goals on 3 occasions this season in the league which is worrying, of which only one of these occasions were at home. By comparison to the top 4, Norwich have scored 3+ goals 13 times this season and Sheffield United 11 with West Brom and Leeds 8 and 6 times, and sadly I don't look at us and see a team capable of scoring prolifically. I hope we can rectify this soon or this will be a massive wasted opportunity as I am confident we currently have the best defence in the league.

3 minutes ago, Super said:

Thought we defended badly all night which was partly down to the midfield although Kalas and Webster were bullied by their front 2.

Birmingham were on the front foot from the off.

The possession stats might show us having the majority, but Brum were sharper and quicker and pressured us all over the pitch, giving us no time or space. As a result we seemed hurried and rushed into everything we did.

They played like we do in many away games.

We played first half like we do in too many games at Ashton Gate! :(

1 hour ago, City18 said:

Last night was an example of just how reliant we are on our defence to carry the team. Did anyone think when that 2nd goal went in for Birmingham last night that we would be able to come back and win?

We are all aware our recent success has been largely due to keeping clean sheets and grinding out 1-0 wins, but I wasn't aware how poor our scoring rate had been this year. I had a brief look at the teams around us this season by comparison to us, and we have only scored 3 goals on 3 occasions this season in the league which is worrying, of which only one of these occasions were at home. By comparison to the top 4, Norwich have scored 3+ goals 13 times this season and Sheffield United 11 with West Brom and Leeds 8 and 6 times, and sadly I don't look at us and see a team capable of scoring prolifically. I hope we can rectify this soon or this will be a massive wasted opportunity as I am confident we currently have the best defence in the league.

No shit Sherlock .

9 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Thought generally we defended fine. Midfield was the problem. Lost Patos work rate and Pack was exposed. 

Never thought I'd say this based on this seasons general form and the perspective of many on this forum, but I was very relieved to see Pato coming on in the second half. Not really appreciated too much what he does for the team but we struggled without him!

Glad it's Johnson picking the team each week and not the forum! 

Both goals could easily have been prevented. First goal resulted from a poor Pack first touch in the area and went to their player just outside. Goal.

I was a amazed at Fammie's positioning from the early second  half free kick. It's not seen on the highlights but he positioned himself out wide of everyone and was caught on the wrong side of the scorer, who had a clear run at it, which is shown on the highlights.

Nevertheless I felt Brum deserved all the points and they did miss a couple of relatively easier chances than we did.

4 hours ago, Super said:

Thought we defended badly all night which was partly down to the midfield although Kalas and Webster were bullied by their front 2.

That was exactly my thought all night but with all our players not just Webster and Kalas. Birmingham were a lot stronger than us and a lot more physical than us. We always seem to struggle against teams like this ie. the Preston's and Millwall's of the league 

3 hours ago, BS10 RED said:

That was exactly my thought all night but with all our players not just Webster and Kalas. Birmingham were a lot stronger than us and a lot more physical than us. We always seem to struggle against teams like this ie. the Preston's and Millwall's of the league 

That’s one thing I want to see change. Since LJ taken over - 3 years ago now.

We have been a team of talented tip, tappy footballers and often been naive with our play when against sides who will ‘try it on’. 

When you think about it, we’re a very lightweight squad.

1 hour ago, Lew-T said:

That’s one thing I want to see change. Since LJ taken over - 3 years ago now.

We have been a team of talented tip, tappy footballers and often been naive with our play when against sides who will ‘try it on’. 

When you think about it, we’re a very lightweight squad.

We are not no angels when it comes to “trying it on” let’s take our rose tinted glasses off shall we,from pack,nik or palmer going to ground to easy or taylor and dede winding centre halfs up we have been doing it all season 

9 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

We are not no angels when it comes to “trying it on” let’s take our rose tinted glasses off shall we,from pack,nik or palmer going to ground to easy or taylor and dede winding centre halfs up we have been doing it all season 

Sounds silly but one of my favourite moments of the season was watching Hunt launch the ball into the crowd at Brentford whilst the refs back was turned. The 3 points were essentially won by the dark arts that day as we wound Brentford up to the point they imploded and lost their disipline.

Likewise weimann kicking the drop ball out of play at Forest- they lost their cool and were never going to get anything from the game after that... the one chance they needed went along with their heads in that moment.

It is frustrating when we fall foul of it but we are certainly more streetwise this season.

The thread title claims "Best defence in the League".

So how come we conceded their second goal? I know Blues managed to move the place where the free kick was taken. The free kick was given by ref for an offence on a line between the two penalty spots. While Pack was arguing with the ref, they moved the ball at least ten metres nearer to the Dolman touchline, giving them a better angle.

But to concede a goal from that free kick? Dreadful defending!

Archived