IGNORED

A bit of light relief

Silvio Dante

After last night, it’s probably fair to say we’re a bit more disheartened. So, in the interest of changing the subject (and following in from my mention of The Guardians “Knowledge” column last week), this week the main question is “Has a defender ever scored a hat trick (not including penalties before you say Alvin Martin)

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/feb/27/which-defenders-have-scored-hat-tricks-from-open-play-football-the-knowledge?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Now, as you can see, Flint is the answer. Which got me thinking as I wasn’t at that game - what would be your favourite hat trick for city. Doesn’t have to be the best goals, just the one you look back on with most fondness.

I’d start with Bob Taylor vs Crewe 1990. “Pick...that one out of the net, you boys from Crewe”. Tempered by him buggering his hammie 10 minutes later, but other than Shutt, definitely the one that sticks.

Any raises on that?

Kevin Mabbutt at Old Trafford.

6 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Oh for the glamour ties at Carlisle- we really have come a long way

together, through the bad times and the good - aint that the truth supporting City?

19 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Didn’t JET get the “perfect” hat trick back in league 1 or have I imagined this?

Yes he did, as already mentioned, Carlisle away.

I remember taking my young kids to a Halloween party that afternoon whilst we happened to record our first win of the season.

Halloween...first win of the season.

******* ridiculous.

I am pretty sure that Shaun Goater got the "perfect" hat-trick (I am assuming this means one right foot, one left foot and one with his head) against Wigan 1997.  IIRC this was the game when he went over to some photographers in front of the East End and pretended to take photos of them!  This was pre "selfie" days!

On a related subject, as BCFC hat tricks seem to be as rare as hens teeth does anyone know a record of them?

Going back there was Bobby last year - I think before that was Smith in JPT & JET vs Carlisle in 2010 but then I think it was Jevons in about 2007 vs Gillingham? 4 in 12 years seems pretty poor...

16 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

On a related subject, as BCFC hat tricks seem to be as rare as hens teeth does anyone know a record of them?

Going back there was Bobby last year - I think before that was Smith in JPT & JET vs Carlisle in 2010 but then I think it was Jevons in about 2007 vs Gillingham? 4 in 12 years seems pretty poor...

You forgot flints! 

Even still 5 in 12 years (or 4 in 11...) isn't great

24 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Defender Steve Watson scored a hatrick for Everton....they trounced Leeds 4-0....

Was in my fantasy football team that season!

Re City hatricks - Joe Royle Boxing Day v Cov 1978 - 5-0 win.  My second ever City game.  Don’t remember any of the goals, just that he got a hatrick.

Flint’s hat-trick was great - it helped make that final game when we lifted the League 1 trophy extra special. There was that sense of disbelief that a defender had bagged the three goals.

Bob Taylor’s hat-tricks v Crewe and Swansea included fantastic long-range goals. 

The other one that stands out for me is when Carl Shutt scored 4 at AG against Fulham not long into his City career. 

Archived