IGNORED

A bit of light relief

Silvio Dante

10 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

Vilmos Sebok scored a hat trick for Hungary (pretty sure none, if any, were from open play though) but I don't think he ever scored for us!

Remebered this one buy likewise couldn't recall how he scored.

Little bit of research shows it was 2 from open play and 86 min pen for his hat trick in a 5-0 Euro 2000 qualifier at home to Liechtenstein on 27/03/99.

13 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

Matt Smith at gillingham in the jpt.

I wasnt there and I realise he wasn't our player and it was only the jpt but... 

Two great headers, a back heel and a stunning half volley from 25 yards- If memory serves also the perfect hattrick of header, right foot, left foot.

It's a beauty of a hit, well worth another look.

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Or was that Tamas Vasko in 2007/8?

Ah yes, I think you are right. 

I actually didn’t differentiate between the 2 when I was thinking that. 

Seebok was the longer haired player wasn’t he..? 

Vasko I remember for his unveiling interview. When asked what kind of player he was, his response was a simple “Hard”. In his accent, I always likened him to the Terminator, because of that..!

12 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

I am pretty sure that Shaun Goater got the "perfect" hat-trick (I am assuming this means one right foot, one left foot and one with his head) against Wigan 1997.  IIRC this was the game when he went over to some photographers in front of the East End and pretended to take photos of them!  This was pre "selfie" days!

He scored his third from the spot if memory serves!

1 hour ago, cider-manc said:

Matt Smith at gillingham in the jpt.

I wasnt there and I realise he wasn't our player and it was only the jpt but... 

Two great headers, a back heel and a stunning half volley from 25 yards- If memory serves also the perfect hattrick of header, right foot, left foot.

I had a tenner on a Smith hat trick that night, having done it a few days before and seen him get 2. I know you shouldn't chase your losses.

No matter how confident I was that I still got the money if he scored more than 3, I still got nervous when he banged that fourth one in!

Vilmos Sebok scored a hat trick for Hungary (pretty sure none, if any, were from open play though) but I don't think he ever scored for us!

I'm sure he scored an own goal against Wolves but I think it was credited to Jim Brennan in the ground

I am pretty sure that Shaun Goater got the "perfect" hat-trick (I am assuming this means one right foot, one left foot and one with his head) against Wigan 1997.  IIRC this was the game when he went over to some photographers in front of the East End and pretended to take photos of them!  This was pre "selfie" days!

One of my very first games was Notts County at home, that same season. I believe he also scored a Hat-Trick in that game, finishing off with a penalty. I don't remember the game very well as I think it was my second visit to AG, but I'd put that down as one of my favourites just because it was the first one I witnessed.

I have just done a trawl of Big John's hat tricks from 1951 to 1966.

53-54 - one at home v Swindon

56-57 & 57-58 - two, both against Sheff U home and away (in 57-58 Bert Tindill scored three in two consecutive matches) 

58-59 - one away Barnsley

60-61 - five v Chichester and three v Brentford (Chichester were an amateur team in FA Cup)

61-62 - two. 3 v Grimsby and 4 v Notts C

64-65 - three. Walsall, Southend and 4 v Shrewsbury.

Also spotted in those years Brian Clark also scored two hat tricks in three games. 

10 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Didn't  Murray score a hattrick v Mansfield in that season he scored 20+ goals before he went to Reading? Think we won 5-2 and seem to remember him being quite prolific that day. 2003 anyway the year.

Yep, I remember that day, even Carey scored for us I think.....and a gashead notched for the Stags....

Archived