IGNORED

Niki Maenpaa - chance of new contract?

Lez

13 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Worth a three year deal if his contract expires end of this season. 

Real quality, especially for this level.

Think we did a year with a year option. So assuming we pick up the option I’d be good with doing it again next season. If he is happy with it no point committing too much longer. He looks in good shape and I do not doubt he could play at this level another 3-4 years though.

See below for text from the OS player information section, so it appears we have a 1 year option.

City completed the signing of goalkeeper Niki Mäenpää in July 2018.

The Finnish international had been on trial in BS3 and continued to impress during the club’s pre-season training camp in Marbella.

The 33-year-old agreed a one-year deal at Ashton Gate, with a further year option, and arrives as a free agent after departing Brighton & Hove Albion earlier in the summer.

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Maybe- all 3 are worthy of being kept but 2 keepers over 30 I dunno- that said keepers age differently to most outfield players- don't tend to hit their peak traditionally until late 20's and can play at a high level deep into their 30's.

Agree but at the moment its one position I think we have nicely covered.

Trusted by defenders, much more commanding, reads the game better, stance better, positioning better - no brainer has to be number 1

FF only advantage fans love him, despite the fact that he is unpredictable! Sorry but any keeper that crouches down like magila gorilla when under threat might be better staying home and playing with his puppy, crouching you double the vulnerability of your goal! Just ask wolves!

4 hours ago, Dredd said:

It’s tough as both Niki and FF have both had a couple of injuries each this season. Maybe that comes with being the other side of 30 but probably a good reason to keep three keepers pushing for that one spot. 

Thing then is both Niki and Frankie will be ahead of Max, can't see him wanting to stick around to be #3, sooner or later he'll want to be off to challenge for a #1 spot somewhere.

Keep both NM and FF, a lot of the bigger clubs in this league have 2 sometimes 3 proven keepers. They’ve signed contracts so keep them here, will give Max the chance to go out to a league club next season and in 2/3 years he’ll probably be our number 1, maybe sooner. It’s the one spot I’d say we don’t need to spend on. It’ll be tricky if Fielding does leave though. I’d like to see us buy someone better than Niki and have them 2 battle it out rather than just a “back up” but to answer the original question, yes, forget the 1 year option, give him a new 2 year deal with a 3rd year option. Can see him playing on for a few more years yet! 

3 hours ago, Negan said:

Keep both NM and FF, a lot of the bigger clubs in this league have 2 sometimes 3 proven keepers. They’ve signed contracts so keep them here, will give Max the chance to go out to a league club next season and in 2/3 years he’ll probably be our number 1, maybe sooner. It’s the one spot I’d say we don’t need to spend on. It’ll be tricky if Fielding does leave though. I’d like to see us buy someone better than Niki and have them 2 battle it out rather than just a “back up” but to answer the original question, yes, forget the 1 year option, give him a new 2 year deal with a 3rd year option. Can see him playing on for a few more years yet! 

Plus Nikki hasn’t played that much in his career so won’t be as ‘ worn ‘ out as a player who has several seasons of hard first team footy .

3 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Plus Nikki hasn’t played that much in his career so won’t be as ‘ worn ‘ out as a player who has several seasons of hard first team footy .

Very true.

I really rate Mäenpää.  My only slight niggle is his slight niggles!!  He’s missed out through injury twice this season.  Really would like to see him go through the rest of the season without any further injuries.  I’m surprised we’ve not taken the option on his extra year.  Perhaps we are negotiating an improved deal to recognise hiw good he’s been.

Re Fielding, we’ve not taken up his one year option either.

Archived