IGNORED

Just for the pleasure City v Chelsea Fa cup

Major Isewater

Add me to the "I was there" list. Great day out.

Watching the clip:
1) How did Taylor manage to avoid removing Beasant's head before the 1st goal?
2) After the camera pans to him as the ball goes out of play before the 2nd, couldn't help thinking that Taylor needed a bigger pair of shorts.

6 hours ago, chowie said:

Was a great day and we have not played them since...

Chelsea has only ever recorded one victory at Ashton Gate, back in 1949.

Not competitively, played them in a friendly close season 94/95 however. My first ever game.

There was some unknown called ruud gullit playing and there was a streaker.. the score eludes me

1 hour ago, Fjmcity said:

Not competitively, played them in a friendly close season 94/95 however. My first ever game.

There was some unknown called ruud gullit playing and there was a streaker.. the score eludes me

1-1 I think.....Phil Barber for city? I think! Sure someone with a better memory than me will either confirm or put me straight!?

I was there, a great game, but it’s also my lasting memory of witnessing proper 'trouble’ for the first time at the gate. I was only 13 and was stood at the front of the East End watching it all unfold. Groups of city lads were literally pouring from the EE along under the Dolman to the Park End for the trouble. Much to the annoyance of the usual Park End boys, Chelsea had been allocated the entire Park End and the Police were really having trouble stopping Chelsea ripping down the centre fencing which would have seen them spill into the ground to face the onslaught man to man. Chelsea had seemingly bought a large group with them, but they underestimated city and came under attack during and after from a large and very 'up for it' group of city boys made up of park end and east end. I remember watching coins and bits of wood flying from the Dolman into the Park End all game which was winding Chelsea up, the police had no control. Then bits of Park End concrete was being thrown about, first over the back at the City fans trying to leave then back into the Park End in retaliation. This over-spilled into the park and surrounding areas and it really kicked off, with the Chelsea boys taking one hell of a beating! I won’t lie, as a 13year old it was quite scary at times even just watching from a distance.

Utter carnage. As I said, great game though! 

One of my old time favourite games, underdogs in the tie, crap weather, sold out ground, what an atmosphere! The Taylor n Turner double act that caused carnage to the Chelsea defence, Ronnie almost decapitating himself on the post, Psycho's sliding tackle, then the killer 3rd goal. The whole ground was shaking, the East End going crazy - loved my time in there, sadly missed! Happy days!!

9 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Some random thoughts 

The pitch was appalling without the Rugger Buggers playing on it . 

Classique two wingers , big fella , little fella up front .

The crowd loud and proud .

I was there.

I was there!  Sat on the barrier which was behind the wall at the front of the enclosure!  That was my first season of going, what a season!

2 points, Dave Beasant had a shocker, and how short are the shorts!

I was there too, in a very boisterous East End. Great game, great atmosphere and a proper muddy pitch. I loved the team we had then - full of attacking flair.

In our win against Swindle in the previous round I remember them hitting the underside of the crossbar near the end of the game. It took their fans in the Open End quite a long time to realise they hadn’t equalised, much to the amusement of the home crowd. 

I was there, didn't have a ticket but back then you could turn up and volunteer to be a steward for the day, think we turned up at midday had a brief meeting, put on a tabard and off we went, I was at the top of the Dolman steps. Great day.

10 hours ago, kmpowell said:

I was there, a great game, but it’s also my lasting memory of witnessing proper 'trouble’ for the first time at the gate. I was only 13 and was stood at the front of the East End watching it all unfold. Groups of city lads were literally pouring from the EE along under the Dolman to the Park End for the trouble. Much to the annoyance of the usual Park End boys, Chelsea had been allocated the entire Park End and the Police were really having trouble stopping Chelsea ripping down the centre fencing which would have seen them spill into the ground to face the onslaught man to man. Chelsea had seemingly bought a large group with them, but they underestimated city and came under attack during and after from a large and very 'up for it' group of city boys made up of park end and east end. I remember watching coins and bits of wood flying from the Dolman into the Park End all game which was winding Chelsea up, the police had no control. Then bits of Park End concrete was being thrown about, first over the back at the City fans trying to leave then back into the Park End in retaliation. This over-spilled into the park and surrounding areas and it really kicked off, with the Chelsea boys taking one hell of a beating! I won’t lie, as a 13year old it was quite scary at times even just watching from a distance.

Utter carnage. As I said, great game though! 

Hope rich wntk don't read this....

Archived