IGNORED

Just for the pleasure City v Chelsea Fa cup

Major Isewater

My one and only time in hospitality in the Williams stand.

Noticed throughout the meal there was a group from London who were getting louder and louder but not really aggresive.

Come kick off they took their seats and then decide to start a Chelsea chant, it then all kicked off and they were led out of their seats for their own  safety never to be seen again.

23 hours ago, kmpowell said:

I was there, a great game, but it’s also my lasting memory of witnessing proper 'trouble’ for the first time at the gate. I was only 13 and was stood at the front of the East End watching it all unfold. Groups of city lads were literally pouring from the EE along under the Dolman to the Park End for the trouble. Much to the annoyance of the usual Park End boys, Chelsea had been allocated the entire Park End and the Police were really having trouble stopping Chelsea ripping down the centre fencing which would have seen them spill into the ground to face the onslaught man to man. Chelsea had seemingly bought a large group with them, but they underestimated city and came under attack during and after from a large and very 'up for it' group of city boys made up of park end and east end. I remember watching coins and bits of wood flying from the Dolman into the Park End all game which was winding Chelsea up, the police had no control. Then bits of Park End concrete was being thrown about, first over the back at the City fans trying to leave then back into the Park End in retaliation. This over-spilled into the park and surrounding areas and it really kicked off, with the Chelsea boys taking one hell of a beating! I won’t lie, as a 13year old it was quite scary at times even just watching from a distance.

Utter carnage. As I said, great game though! 

It was definitely one of those tasty fixtures and the Chelsea lot were well pissed off towards the end. I was in the Grandstand enclosure that day close to the Chelsea support. Very kind of them to aim a shower of the larger 50p coins in those days at us. I think I pocketed about £20 worth which was an added bonus and a very generous gesture by them. Wish we could play them more often!

My father in law is a Chelsea fan from West London, lovely chap (surprising as that may be). Unfortunately I didn't meet and get to know the guy until about ten years after this cup tie. At the time I first got to know him he had no recollection of this game at all. 

Thankfully, from his point of view, I have regularly played him the match highlights on video, dvd or youtube roughly twice a year for about the last twenty years or so, and it is now indelibly ingrained in his Chelsea history. 

He hasn't actually thanked me, though I like to think he's grateful for this football history lesson. 

Oh yes, I was there. 

Thanks for posting this, my first game as a 7 year old, can still remember the feeling of being scared but excited at the same time. I didn’t really know/understand what was going on violence wise fortunately, mostly thanks to dad getting us tickets in the dolman at the opposite end to Chelsea. I was instantly hooked though despite the intimidating noise.

29 years on and a few blocks over I’m now positioned in the singing section doing my utmost to create that very same atmosphere today...but we all know bar the odd big game when everyone’s up for it the atmosphere will never be like it was back then.

Another memory of Chelsea was when I was fortunate enough to be mascot twice, one of which being a friendly against Chelsea in the summer of 95. After the warm up I can remember waiting eagerly in the recently built atyeo for Gullitts autograph. As he came down the tunnel he literally palmed me off in the face Jonah Lomu style. Fortunately the captain for them saw what happened and got his autograph for me...thanks Mr Wise

On 28/02/2019 at 19:10, SimonL said:

I remember the Chelsea fans trying to climb over the fences to get at us in the Grandstand after the game. 

I remember a very irate Chelsea skinhead launch himself at the fence and smash his face against the curved top...the ugly, stupid bastard.

21 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

I remember pre-match all the talk was about Taylor following his scoring exploits in the League but he ended up having a quiet game and being out-shone by Turner and Gavin, great game though

God Taylor was the only player to have scored in every round up until this match . 

I loved that team .

I remember Gavin being the only player to have troubled us in the AutowinscreenDafPaint final and then we signed him . 

Robbie Carnage and God up front , just wow . 

On 01/03/2019 at 07:36, Oh Louie louie said:

Think it was 2 seasons before the chelsea game.

We had 3 replays against aldershot that seemed to go on weeks.

Pretty sure we won one of the replays at AG 1-0, me and my dad always say it’s one of the best games we ever saw. 

I had the programme until about 3 years ago and I noticed a young Steve Claridge was playing for them 

15 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

Pretty sure we won one of the replays at AG 1-0, me and my dad always say it’s one of the best games we ever saw. 

I had the programme until about 3 years ago and I noticed a young Steve Claridge was playing for them 

Thought they were league cup games

Claridge stood out like a sore thumb 

15 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Yes claridge did play think it was fa cup but i maybe wrong.

Major after we lost the title that night to those tramps joe ordered the players not to go out.

I think that was pretty wise.

I liked robbie btw, always gave 100pc.

Said in the interview hes a rep for a company in wales now.

Ah that sheds a different light on the matter , insubordination is totally unacceptable.

boo .

I apolgise humbly about my insubordination major.

But picture the scene, we just blew the title, you walked out temple meads, and robbie turner is sat in that italian place over the road eating steak and drinking a fine wine.

Would you see tommy doc, louis carey, or cole skuse doing something like that?

I stand by joe on this.

Claridge did play in those Aldershot games. He was interviewed about it years back around the time it changed to only one replay and one of the questions was something like `can you go into the games like that with the same enthusiasm?` to which his reply was `No. No-one cared who won, we just wanted it all to end!`

We won with a Carl Shutt wonder goal (overhead kick?) in the end IIRC which set up a next round tie away at...……………...Hartlepool!

I drove all the way up there and we lost 1-0.

Archived