IGNORED

Johnson desired

Nbafc

Only reiterating what I've heard on TalkSport: chairman of the Fulham supporters club (Tom) singing Lee's praises in response to being asked who he'd like to see as next Fulham manager. 

Also a comment on the (unusual) event of sticking with a manager, recalling how in his 1st season there were plenty of calls for his head. 

Given that he also commented that Fulham going back up required a 2-3 rebuild its hits home how although dispite its frustrations at times, the current regime is something to be very proud of. 

This from someone (me) who has not always been fan of our current manager/set up. 

City fan Mark Watson currently on. 

2 minutes ago, Nbafc said:

Only reiterating what I've heard on TalkSport: chairman of the Fulham supporters club (Tom) singing Lee's praises in response to being asked who he'd like to see as next Fulham manager. 

Also a comment on the (unusual) event of sticking with a manager, recalling how in his 1st season there were plenty of calls for his head. 

Given that he also commented that Fulham going back up required a 2-3 rebuild its hits home how although dispite its frustrations at times, the current regime is something to be very proud of. 

This from someone (me) who has not always been fan of our current manager/set up. 

City fan Mark Watson currently on. 

Made me laugh when he said fans were calling for his head in the first season. Fans looking in from the outside will find that bizarre that those sentiments have held firm through to today. 

9 minutes ago, mozo said:

I thought at the time that Fulham were stupid to sack [manager whose name I can't spell]. He got them promotion and they clearly weren't going to stay up. Ranieri was just a vanity appointment.

Good manager but spent over 100 million on players like Bryan who clearly were not prem players and when you have a yank running the club he was never going to be given the chance to bring them back up

53 minutes ago, Cunnyfunt said:

Made me laugh when he said fans were calling for his head in the first season. Fans looking in from the outside will find that bizarre that those sentiments have held firm through to today. 

In fairness you got to look at the point in time in question. Those who remember going down each week and seeing nothing but utter dross football week in and out, along with some very heavy defeats along the way and a looming relegation battle. It was the first time in ages that I genuinely didn't look forward to attending the Gate - at times it felt like a chore.

Any other club that didn't have Lansdown at the helm with his family connections to the Johnson's and overall vision for the club would have probably severed ties there and then. 

12 minutes ago, Undy English said:

In fairness you got to look at the point in time in question. Those who remember going down each week and seeing nothing but utter dross football week in and out, along with some very heavy defeats along the way and a looming relegation battle. It was the first time in ages that I genuinely didn't look forward to attending the Gate - at times it felt like a chore.

Any other club that didn't have Lansdown at the helm with his family connections to the Johnson's and overall vision for the club would have probably severed ties there and then. 

Sure. I was just making the point that even when we currently in the playoff positions, some fans still feel the same way as back then.

41 minutes ago, Undy English said:

Can you list them?

Disappointing defeats and mediocre football yeah, but heavy losses? Not particularly.

@joe jordans teeth It's interesting tbh. I just took a look at Fulham and I think they changed way too much too soon. They should have prioritised holding onto loanees and then adding a few in key positions. Instead with the exception of Mitrovic, they lost Fredericks on a free, Targett at LB (ok, not their fault), Kalas, Norwood, Piazon, Ojo and sold Button. Then a mad supermarket dash saw them sign or borrow *deep breath* Fabri, Rico, Fosu-Mensah, Chambers, Mawson, Le Marchand, Bryan, Seri, Anguissa, Schurrle, Mitrovic and Vietto. Then this January for good measure, added Nordtveit, Markovic and Babel! FWIW I don 't think a lot of those players are crap as individuals certainly not on paper, but that churn in that League...

Very much a case study of how not to do it for if we get there!!

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

List them.

Disappointing defeats and mediocre football yeah, but heavy losses? Not particularly.

I was thinking the same I think we've only lost by more than 2 goals at home twice in his reign. 4-0 to Brighton in about his third game in charge and 3-0 to Leeds last season

3 minutes ago, Big C said:

I was thinking the same I think we've only lost by more than 2 goals at home twice in his reign. 4-0 to Brighton in about his third game in charge and 3-0 to Leeds last season

When was the 5-0 loss to Preston? Can't remember what season off the top of my head, but I remember at the time, after a string of very poor performances, this is it, Lansdown will be forced to sack him.

21 minutes ago, Undy English said:

Umm I think you are thinking of the SOD era..!

Of course the record breaking losing run was “horrendous & shameful” (LJ’s own words) but during those 8 straight league defeats, we didn’t lose a single game by more than 1 goal. 

Even looking at that period in a wider lense, where we only won 2 of 25 league games (17 defeats) we only lost 3 games by more than 1 goal, all 3 of which were only 2-0 defeats. So I’m not sure where all those “heavy defeats” are that you mention..?

3 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Umm I think you are thinking of the SOD era..!

Of course the record breaking losing run was “horrendous & shameful” (LJ’s own words) but during those 8 straight league defeats, we didn’t lose a single game by more than 1 goal. 

Even looking at that period in a wider lense, where we only won 2 of 25 league games (17 defeats) we only lost 3 games by more than 1 goal, all 3 of which were only 2-0 defeats. So I’m not sure where all those “heavy defeats” are that you mention..?

Nah it was definitely Lee: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39414038

3 minutes ago, Undy English said:

Nah it was definitely Lee: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39414038

We all know that he was in charge for that defeat. You were referring to “heavy defeats” (plural) when there haven’t been many heavy defeats during his 3+ years. 

During the record losing run and bad times surrounding it, there were less than a handful of defeats that were by more than 1 goal. 

2 minutes ago, SimonL said:

Vacancy now at Fulham!

Strange how that has happened the same day this has been mentioned....

If (and I think it's a VERY big if) they were to appoint LJ, they would be effectively throwing in the towel this season, giving him a free run for the rest of this season, with the hope that he would be able to get them back up next year.

I can't see it happening at all though. It's got Sam Allardyce written all over it....

2 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Good manager but spent over 100 million on players like Bryan who clearly were not prem players and when you have a yank running the club he was never going to be given the chance to bring them back up

Not sure he had much of a say in terms of recruitment. Big part of the problem there was the disconnect between the 'football man' Jokanovic and the more statistically minded members of the backroom staff and boardroom. Neither particularly bad on their own, but when you're all pulling in different directions it's a recipe for disaster.

And Bryan was far from the worst of their signings. Lad called Anguissa signed for potentially up to £30m from Marseille in the summer - barely even played.

I'd feel pretty confident whatever happens we'll finish above them next season

I think I am right in saying the owners son is effectively the DoF - maybe that explains the supermarket sweep last summer.

Regardless of who was behind it they changed too much too soon. 

It is odd that they chose not to buy Kalas but signed an injured Alfie Mowson!

And much as I like Joe Bryan he is not a PL left back - he’s not a Championship left back come to that. 

Da Silva is a significant upgrade.

5 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

I think I am right in saying the owners son is effectively the DoF - maybe that explains the supermarket sweep last summer.

Regardless of who was behind it they changed too much too soon. 

It is odd that they chose not to buy Kalas but signed an injured Alfie Mowson!

And much as I like Joe Bryan he is not a PL left back - he’s not a Championship left back come to that. 

Da Silva is a significant upgrade.

He was never a left back in the first place, a top quality wing back though 

4 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

I thknk there's an argument that teams can go straight down then come straight back up stronger, particularly if they keep some faith in the gaffer that started the project. Didn't Dyche do that with Burnley?

18 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

Am I the only one that thought Bryan’s best position was CM? I remember one or two games when he played there he was superb! 

Never a LB in a million years though. Very pleased to have JDS instead.

I think JB would have made a cracking central Midfielder, two footed, can run with the ball and shoots. He’s wasted at LB that’s for sure 

I still think he has got a lot to learn.

Saturday not replacing Wright with Pisano was a huge error and the 3 substitutions he did make beggared belief.

Tuesday night playing Palmer after his last few appearances have been so poor was a mistake, as was leaving out Paterson who was beginning to find some form.

Not having a ready replacement for Diedhiou was a mistake.

7 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Are you taking about Jokanovic or Ranieri?! 

Jokanovic spent the dosh but it sounds like you are talking about Ranieri saying he wasn’t going to be “given the chance to bring them back up....”

Archived