IGNORED

An Oskar update

Dollymarie

Hello everyone,

Someone asked in another thread how Oskar was getting on. I’ve contacted Lizzy his mum and she’s given me permission to post the following. 

Oskar is doing great. He is still making progress albeit much slower progress than in the beginning. This is absolutely normal that the main block of progress is in the first year or 2 post surgery. 
He is becoming more independent with day to day life and is able to take care of most of his own functional needs eg being able to take himself to the bathroom instead of needing someone to help him. Which for a boy who will be going to secondary school in September this level of independence is so important. 
His walking has vastly improved over the last year but we are hitting a slight block as he is going through a growth spurt so his muscles can be extremely painful. He will most likely need a walking frame to walk with for the rest of his life, but considering that he couldn’t sit up by himself or stand let alone take any steps he has come a million miles. 
He is also struggling with dealing with the fact he is differently abled and often gets frustrated when he can’t do something because his body lets him down. 
Many people don’t realise that he is also autistic which encounters its own problems as people can see him as bing either full on chatty or rude. This is not the case if yours is a face he doesn’t recognise he gets panicked and filled with anxiety so comes across as a little rude. But if yours is a face he does know he is chatty and friendly. 
He will always have struggles but he continues to work hard with everything. 
I am very proud of him and remain incredibly grateful to everyone who made this possible. 

9968851A-9458-408F-892E-F847340179BF.jpeg

Aww, that’s lovely to hear. Please thank Lizzy and remind her what a great job she must be doing. Yes there are bound to be upsets and setbacks but as ever the positives certainly outweigh them. I’m sure many people will be happy to see this update.

5 hours ago, RedM said:

Aww, that’s lovely to hear. Please thank Lizzy and remind her what a great job she must be doing. Yes there are bound to be upsets and setbacks but as ever the positives certainly outweigh them. I’m sure many people will be happy to see this update.

I wore my Oscar scarf to wolves (one of four I bought at the time) and wondered then how he was coming along. sure looks one happy chap in that picture. thanks for the update,this is a story of a journey I will never forget ?

Archived