IGNORED

Ranieri

Super

4 hours ago, cider-manc said:

Their chairman really has his head screwed on. This is a good read on him:

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/english-premier-league/23/blog/post/3307399/burnley-chairman-mike-garlick-talks-espn-fc-about-premier-league-sustainance

My favourite quote (which perhaps some on here could really do with hearing) :

"If we acted in an oligarch's way during one transfer window, the damage done could last for five years. It doesn't just damage you for one season. Bradford City is probably the best example: They had 14 to 21 days of summer madness [in 2000], and it took the club five to 10 years to turn around from that. We simply don't want that to happen. We want to be as ambitious as we can, but we have to live within our means, and whatever we do has to be sustainable"

I'm not understanding that, because that is exactly what they did do. They spent over 100 million FFS.

5 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

What a joke!

I bet (some) people would have been creaming in their pants if we had sacked LJ earlier in the season and appointed Ranieri, or similar. Just goes to show that it guarantees nothing, yet some people continue to jump on LJ at the slightest opportunity. 

That didn’t take long! First reply to the OP hijacks a thread about Fulham to have a dig at anyone who may not rate LJ - desperate....

Thing is I don't think Ranieri would have been at the club next season if they went down, I hope they stick with Parker next season. It now gives him 10 games or so to start imprinting his style on the team for next season, if they do the great escape then fantastic for them if not then they can hit pre-season running rather than learning then (maybe not so good for us...)

7 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

That didn’t take long! First reply to the OP hijacks a thread about Fulham to have a dig at anyone who may not rate LJ - desperate....

Or simply points out that making a change, even one that sounds good on paper, doesn’t guarantee anybody anything..!

3 hours ago, Selred said:

Ranieri had to go. He was hated by Fulham fans at the end and it was toxic.

He wasn’t the right choice in the first place, he had one unbelievable season with Leicester but that’s really it when it comes to Prem football. 

Toxic? You been to Craven Cottage?!

...and you seem to have overlooked Ranieri taking Chelsea to 6th, 6th, 4th, 2nd in the premier league - breaking their club record for most points in a season ever and fewest goals conceded in a season ever. He signed Frank Lampard for Chelsea, took them to the Champions League semi final and left them with a 54% win record.....and you think his miraculous season at Leicester was all he did in the premier league....

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Toxic? You been to Craven Cottage?!

...and you seem to have overlooked Ranieri taking Chelsea to 6th, 6th, 4th, 2nd in the premier league - breaking their club record for most points in a season ever and fewest goals conceded in a season ever. He signed Frank Lampard for Chelsea, took them to the Champions League semi final and left them with a 54% win record.....and you think his miraculous season at Leicester was all he did in the premier league....

One of my close colleagues is a massive football fan, so yes i know it was toxic. Have you seen any Fulham fans upset he’s gone? There isn’t any. 

He had money to burn at Chelsea and won no silverware in his time there. Yes he brought in lots of good players, but at the end of the day you should be winning trophies at Chelsea. Win % mean nothing, Mourinho is Uniteds 2nd (begind OGS) and you wouldn’t call him a success. 

1 hour ago, Selred said:

One of my close colleagues is a massive football fan, so yes i know it was toxic. Have you seen any Fulham fans upset he’s gone? There isn’t any. 

He had money to burn at Chelsea and won no silverware in his time there. Yes he brought in lots of good players, but at the end of the day you should be winning trophies at Chelsea. Win % mean nothing, Mourinho is Uniteds 2nd (begind OGS) and you wouldn’t call him a success. 

He achieved Champs League qualification at chelsea before Abramovichs millions came in. Chelsea were on the verge of going bust and had signed next to no one.

The only season he had money to burn he finished second to the invincibles in the Prem and got to a Champs League semi final - which is still pretty good even with loads of money. Look how long it took manchester City to establish themselves at the top table.

Not only did he sign lampard but he also brought john terry into the first team set up. 

Chelsea fans have a lot to be thankful to him for - perhaps this is why the fulham fans never really took to him?

4 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

He achieved Champs League qualification at chelsea before Abramovichs millions came in. Chelsea were on the verge of going bust and had signed next to no one.

The only season he had money to burn he finished second to the invincibles in the Prem and got to a Champs League semi final - which is still pretty good even with loads of money. Look how long it took manchester City to establish themselves at the top table.

Not only did he sign lampard but he also brought john terry into the first team set up. 

Chelsea fans have a lot to be thankful to him for - perhaps this is why the fulham fans never really took to him?

First season had players like Zola, JFH, Poyet. It’s not like he was working with an average team. The season before they came 5th and won the FA Cup.

Fulham fans didn’t like him for his awful tactics. They are still very weak at the back, that was never addressed, and then strange choices like playing Cairney on the wing doesn’t help. The team hasn’t improved at all under him, was just the wrong manager for them.

14 hours ago, paul_fox said:

Problem is is that there aren't many quality defenders around now. They're all coached to be ball players rather then ball winners. There are probably a lot of good old style defenders in the championship,league 1 etc but because they can't spray a 50 yard ball they aren't looked at. 

That is an uneven view. Defending certainly is coached. A quality defender can play. A defender who can't ? They limit the teams defensive potential. Passing is also  defensive. 

Modern training  concentrates on age phased priorities. Acquiring technical ability is its foundation. The expectation should be to create players good with and without the ball. 

Webster may go higher because he fits the key qualities of modern football.

It sort of shows how moronic football has become. We now live in an age where if you don't deliver as a manager after a couple of months then you're replaced. Jose m. won everything that there is to win, but a couple of bad seasons he's called rubbish and dumped in the dustbin. Ranieri  wins the title for Leicester (which is an incredible achievement) and is sacked the following season. This manager merry go round is complete horse doo doo and it is ruining the game. Social media and moaning idiot fans are holding clubs to ransom. Like I've said in previous posts we will get to a stage where the manager is sacked because of one or two bad results. People like Alex Ferguson and Brian Clough would not last 10 minutes in this day and age. Very depressing stuff.

On 01/03/2019 at 07:06, Selred said:

Strange, my brother in law is a Fulham season ticket holder and he mentioned the atmosphere was subdued but not toxic. 

On 28/02/2019 at 19:57, paul_fox said:

Problem is is that there aren't many quality defenders around now. They're all coached to be ball players rather then ball winners. There are probably a lot of good old style defenders in the championship,league 1 etc but because they can't spray a 50 yard ball they aren't looked at. 

Depends how you define good defender. If by old style you mean the gung ho type who makes lots of crunching tackles, attacking players are better protected these days, and rightly so, which means you need to be more subtle to be a good defender in the modern game.

Not that there weren't subtle ones around in the old days, as anyone who saw Bobby Moore, Alan Hansen, Colin Todd and the like play knows.

Take Chris Smalling for instance, not a unanimously rated defender. He had an outstanding game against PSG and made precisely 1 tackle.

Our own Kalas and Webster can certainly pass a ball but I doubt any City fan would say they can't defend.

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Depends how you define good defender. If by old style you mean the gung ho type who makes lots of crunching tackles, attacking players are better protected these days, and rightly so, which means you need to be more subtle to be a good defender in the modern game.

Not that there weren't subtle ones around in the old days, as anyone who saw Bobby Moore, Alan Hansen, Colin Todd and the like play knows.

Take Chris Smalling for instance, not a unanimously rated defender. He had an outstanding game against PSG and made precisely 1 tackle.

Our own Kalas and Webster can certainly pass a ball but I doubt any City fan would say they can't defend.

Man U have proved that with good defensive coaching and organisation, you can polish several turds, expensive turds but turds never the less.

But I am sure that even Ole realises that the defence needs a serious overhaul in the summer.

6 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Man U have proved that with good defensive coaching and organisation, you can polish several turds, expensive turds but turds never the less.

But I am sure that even Ole realises that the defence needs a serious overhaul in the summer.

You may be right but my point was that good defending is not about making lots tackles, I was using Smalling against PSG as a recent example.

As to Man U, Smalling recently signed a new contract and I don't see Lindelof going anywhere. Bailly looks more iffy. Young must surely have had his day and Valencia is on his way out so I suspect a top quality right back is a priority.

I stand by my point that life is harder for modern defenders, who can't resort to the kind of things many of their predecessors did.

3 minutes ago, chinapig said:

You may be right but my point was that good defending is not about making lots tackles, I was using Smalling against PSG as a recent example.

As to Man U, Smalling recently signed a new contract and I don't see Lindelof going anywhere. Bailly looks more iffy. Young must surely have had his day and Valencia is on his way out so I suspect a top quality right back is a priority.

I stand by my point that life is harder for modern defenders, who can't resort to the kind of things many of their predecessors did.

I agree, but I do not rate Smalling to me he is probably the most handsy/hands on defender at that level he gets away with murder and Lindelof is almost as slow as Marlon Pack, right back almost certainly but a classy centre back must be a priority IMHO.

On 28/02/2019 at 16:54, Olé said:

The furious self-flagellation of Premiership clubs in their desperation to stay at that level has gone way past the point of being rational. Burnley remain the blueprint, don't fear going down, simply see it as an opportunity to further strengthen the foundations for the next assault, and develop the leadership experience for more sustained success the next time round.

But no, for most clubs struggling in the Premiership involves blowing everything up at repeated intervals as some kind of bizarre defence mechanism against having to return to the Championship. When in fact what they're really achieving is a World War 2 style "scorched earth" policy of not just being relegated, but ensuring everything is destroyed before they return.

Odd behaviour, but makes it more amusing when they get back here and really have to start from scratch.

Fulham have gone from seemingly well run with some fantastic players, an excellent manager and a great style of play to an utter shambles within 12 months.

Why do clubs keep doing it?

Archived