Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Super

Ranieri

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Depends how you define good defender. If by old style you mean the gung ho type who makes lots of crunching tackles, attacking players are better protected these days, and rightly so, which means you need to be more subtle to be a good defender in the modern game.

Not that there weren't subtle ones around in the old days, as anyone who saw Bobby Moore, Alan Hansen, Colin Todd and the like play knows.

Take Chris Smalling for instance, not a unanimously rated defender. He had an outstanding game against PSG and made precisely 1 tackle.

Our own Kalas and Webster can certainly pass a ball but I doubt any City fan would say they can't defend.

Man U have proved that with good defensive coaching and organisation, you can polish several turds, expensive turds but turds never the less.

But I am sure that even Ole realises that the defence needs a serious overhaul in the summer.

6 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Man U have proved that with good defensive coaching and organisation, you can polish several turds, expensive turds but turds never the less.

But I am sure that even Ole realises that the defence needs a serious overhaul in the summer.

You may be right but my point was that good defending is not about making lots tackles, I was using Smalling against PSG as a recent example.

As to Man U, Smalling recently signed a new contract and I don't see Lindelof going anywhere. Bailly looks more iffy. Young must surely have had his day and Valencia is on his way out so I suspect a top quality right back is a priority.

I stand by my point that life is harder for modern defenders, who can't resort to the kind of things many of their predecessors did.

3 minutes ago, chinapig said:

You may be right but my point was that good defending is not about making lots tackles, I was using Smalling against PSG as a recent example.

As to Man U, Smalling recently signed a new contract and I don't see Lindelof going anywhere. Bailly looks more iffy. Young must surely have had his day and Valencia is on his way out so I suspect a top quality right back is a priority.

I stand by my point that life is harder for modern defenders, who can't resort to the kind of things many of their predecessors did.

I agree, but I do not rate Smalling to me he is probably the most handsy/hands on defender at that level he gets away with murder and Lindelof is almost as slow as Marlon Pack, right back almost certainly but a classy centre back must be a priority IMHO.

On 28/02/2019 at 16:54, Olé said:

The furious self-flagellation of Premiership clubs in their desperation to stay at that level has gone way past the point of being rational. Burnley remain the blueprint, don't fear going down, simply see it as an opportunity to further strengthen the foundations for the next assault, and develop the leadership experience for more sustained success the next time round.

But no, for most clubs struggling in the Premiership involves blowing everything up at repeated intervals as some kind of bizarre defence mechanism against having to return to the Championship. When in fact what they're really achieving is a World War 2 style "scorched earth" policy of not just being relegated, but ensuring everything is destroyed before they return.

Odd behaviour, but makes it more amusing when they get back here and really have to start from scratch.

Fulham have gone from seemingly well run with some fantastic players, an excellent manager and a great style of play to an utter shambles within 12 months.

Why do clubs keep doing it?