IGNORED

Summer changes

BLRed

I cannot predict how the league will pan out and I hope it involves promotion but the odds are certainly against us with our run of games and down turn in form.

on the basis that I expect us to still be in the championship come the summer, I wanted to open up the discussion about potential squad changes and what I and the rest of you could see happen. I can see the following few options that have floated around my head the last few days.

i can see the sale of odowda who is unlikely to sign a new contract for 8-10mill, I can also see Kelly being sold for a similar amount given the high profile interest and less likely, but someone that will be in high demand, we could get a royal fee for brownhill. There is the potential of someone like bakinson playing understudy to smith alongside pack in midfield along with Morrell.Those I feel will be the next three big names out the revolving door. Although it means losing more decent players/prospects, that's a guestimate of nearly 30mill just from those three to add to what we made from Reid, flint and Bryan.

in regards to replacements, we have agreed a fee I believe close to 2 mill for dasilva who replaces Kelly with pring the next prospect providing backup, reports of a 4 mill deal for Palmer would replace odowda as an attacking midfielder meaning we utilise eliasson and Pato as wingers with Adelakun, semenyo the next to come through as backup winger/forwards.

i would like to see us buy kalas on a permanent and feel it could be possible with funds made from sales. If kalas doesn't stay, we have Wright or kelly (if not sold) to partner Webster but I would like to see us loan ampadu on loan to make most of our relationship with Chelsea.

i also wouldn't mind us moving on Pisano and replacing with the loan of Reece James from Chelsea to compete with hunt as a more dynamic rb.

on sales, I would also don't think it would be a loss to sell baker and Watkins as wages could be better utilised elsewhere.

personally, I would also like and could see us attempting to loan steffen from man city should fielding or maenpaa move on.

i think there will be movement on a top striker in the summer but no idea who that may be. If there is an incoming, I feel someone like Taylor could be off for more regular first team football.

out: odowda, Kelly, brownhill, baker, Watkins, fielding, Pisano.

in: dasilva, Palmer, ampadu, James, steffen, new striker

this is me just spit balling and ideas floating around my head but would be interested to hear everyone's thoughts on some of these suggestions and whether you have any others.

O'Dowda is not worth £8m with 12 months left on his contract, maybe £5m which includes clauses, doubt we'd get more than £3m upfront. You highlight Reece James as a RB option, personal suggestion Adam Lewis at Liverpool, from clips I've seen of him I think he'd fit our system well and looks talented.

5 minutes ago, BOSRed said:

I cannot predict how the league will pan out and I hope it involves promotion but the odds are certainly against us with our run of games and down turn in form.

on the basis that I expect us to still be in the championship come the summer, I wanted to open up the discussion about potential squad changes and what I and the rest of you could see happen. I can see the following few options that have floated around my head the last few days.

i can see the sale of odowda who is unlikely to sign a new contract for 8-10mill, I can also see Kelly being sold for a similar amount given the high profile interest and less likely, but someone that will be in high demand, we could get a royal fee for brownhill. There is the potential of someone like bakinson playing understudy to smith alongside pack in midfield along with Morrell.Those I feel will be the next three big names out the revolving door. Although it means losing more decent players/prospects, that's a guestimate of nearly 30mill just from those three to add to what we made from Reid, flint and Bryan.

in regards to replacements, we have agreed a fee I believe close to 2 mill for dasilva who replaces Kelly with pring the next prospect providing backup, reports of a 4 mill deal for Palmer would replace odowda as an attacking midfielder meaning we utilise eliasson and Pato as wingers with Adelakun, semenyo the next to come through as backup winger/forwards.

i would like to see us buy kalas on a permanent and feel it could be possible with funds made from sales. If kalas doesn't stay, we have Wright or kelly (if not sold) to partner Webster but I would like to see us loan ampadu on loan to make most of our relationship with Chelsea.

i also wouldn't mind us moving on Pisano and replacing with the loan of Reece James from Chelsea to compete with hunt as a more dynamic rb.

on sales, I would also don't think it would be a loss to sell baker and Watkins as wages could be better utilised elsewhere.

personally, I would also like and could see us attempting to loan steffen from man city should fielding or maenpaa move on.

i think there will be movement on a top striker in the summer but no idea who that may be. If there is an incoming, I feel someone like Taylor could be off for more regular first team football.

this is me just spit balling and ideas floating around my head but would be interested to hear everyone's thoughts on some of these suggestions and whether you have any others.

8 to 10 million for Kelly? glad you're not in charge of recruitment, he is worth half that, the potential may be there but that would be a hell of a risk, we don't even know his best position, as a defender he was a liability the last few times he played for us, at your valuation if anyone offered that we should snap both their hands off.

2 minutes ago, hodge said:

O'Dowda is not worth £8m with 12 months left on his contract, maybe £5m which includes clauses, doubt we'd get more than £3m upfront.

Matt James has a year left and was quoted at 10-12 mill. Odowda has more potential so 6-8 more realistic but not unachievable.

2 minutes ago, BOSRed said:

Matt James has a year left and was quoted at 10-12 mill. Odowda has more potential so 6-8 more realistic but not unachievable.

Do you mean Dan James from Swansea? If so he's already better than O'Dowda and has more potential while being 2 1/2 years younger, I watched a lot of Swansea's U23's last season and its frightening how quick he is, with and without the ball at his feet.

2 minutes ago, hodge said:

Do you mean Dan James from Swansea? If so he's already better than O'Dowda and has more potential while being 2 1/2 years younger, I watched a lot of Swansea's U23's last season and its frightening how quick he is, with and without the ball at his feet.

Sorry yes, Dan James. I tend to disagree with the potential comparison but it's all opinions I guess... Yes he's rapid, but so was Oliver Burke, and he's not really pulled up trees despite the potential he showed at forest initially. Pace isnt everything.

I teally like Reece James (Wigan loan from Chelsea - who else) too.  Just a good allround modern day RB.

I like Ajayi at Rotherham, 25, coming into his peak.  Physical and can play (assumes no Kalas)

I’d have a look at Tyler Walker (Mansfield loan from Forest - Des’s son) if Eisa isn’t gonna make it here - unlikely I reckon.

Che Adams - If I was gonna break the bank...don’t think he’d come here though.  Diedhiou i’d try to move on if we got Adams.

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Che Adams - If I was gonna break the bank...don’t think he’d come here though.  Diedhiou i’d try to move on if we got Adams.

His situation in the summer could be interesting, think Birmingham will have to sell him, if no team from the prem wants him either a big championship team will take him and shift one of their own strikers down their pecking order or a team our level could be the one to get him in, given our striker situation we should be a tempting prospect for strikers in the summer and the game time we could give them.

Will we be  a 'big team in the championship' this summer? Probably not if we fizzle away to say 9th spot which still would make this a good season in my book.

However IF we make playoffs our reputation could grow quickly. This appears 50/50 today doesn't it?From 6th place it's always 50/50 if we get to Wembley and it's about the same to then get promoted , hence the bookies offering 8-1 today for us to go up.

With our ground, crowds and a near miss at promotion some agents and players may then consider us a big club, albeit a recently won title in the sense of transfer appeal.

It looks like this season's 'big clubs' of Villa Swansea and Stoke will all fall well behind us. Difficult to define big even in Premier where Burnley did last season what Watford and Bournemouth are doing this season.

2 hours ago, hodge said:

O'Dowda is not worth £8m with 12 months left on his contract, maybe £5m which includes clauses, doubt we'd get more than £3m upfront. You highlight Reece James as a RB option, personal suggestion Adam Lewis at Liverpool, from clips I've seen of him I think he'd fit our system well and looks talented.

Liverpool’s Adam Lewis plays LB/LM/CM, but hasn’t had a loan yet. 

In terms of a RB, I really like the look of James Justin (Luton Town). Although he may want to stay with Luton Town, or follow Nathan Jones to Stoke City.

COYR.

4 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

Will we be  a 'big team in the championship' this summer? Probably not if we fizzle away to say 9th spot which still would make this a good season in my book.

However IF we make playoffs our reputation could grow quickly. This appears 50/50 today doesn't it?From 6th place it's always 50/50 if we get to Wembley and it's about the same to then get promoted , hence the bookies offering 8-1 today for us to go up.

With our ground, crowds and a near miss at promotion some agents and players may then consider us a big club, albeit a recently won title in the sense of transfer appeal.

It looks like this season's 'big clubs' of Villa Swansea and Stoke will all fall well behind us. Difficult to define big even in Premier where Burnley did last season what Watford and Bournemouth are doing this season.

Personally think players will go for the money rather than how "big" they feel a club is.

I've said it on here before on a dedicated thread but I would move for Ollie Mcburnie , Swansea CF. He has everything, good control,aggression,good feet,good passing/dribbling skills,not afraid to put himself about and go in where it hurts,great goalscoring record,good link up play. Swansea's owners will sell anyone including the cleaning lady at the moment.

As for Dan James I have seen a bit of him lately...yes lightning pace...but not much end product (think Junior Bent).

I'd also look at Bessant Celina (Swansea) just the sort of midfielder we need. He has pace, can create chances and scores a few too.

7 hours ago, hodge said:

It depends how you are looking at it

As 'potential for future development and profit' then Dan James gets it every day of the week. Leeds attempted to put down 1m (loan) on the table with a further 9m full transfer upon promotion. Swansea pulled the rug as both the 1m and 9m were deferred and over 3 years. Would love to see James here but my guess he would see us as a retrograde move.

Better as a player?, not for me. James is very quick but nowhere near as versatile. He is still very young and inexperienced. COD has 100 appearances for Bristol with many more under his belt at his previous club. He has been capped 13 times for Republic of Ireland. His strength is his speed, his positional versatility and experience. My guess is that we will want 10m for Callum but the deal will get done closer to 7m

2 hours ago, weepywall said:

Personally think players will go for the money rather than how "big" they feel a club is.

I think player's agents go for the money rather than how big a club is!

2 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

I've said it on here before on a dedicated thread but I would move for Ollie Mcburnie , Swansea CF. He has everything, good control,aggression,good feet,good passing/dribbling skills,not afraid to put himself about and go in where it hurts,great goalscoring record,good link up play. Swansea's owners will sell anyone including the cleaning lady at the moment.

As for Dan James I have seen a bit of him lately...yes lightning pace...but not much end product (think Junior Bent).

I'd also look at Bessant Celina (Swansea) just the sort of midfielder we need. He has pace, can create chances and scores a few too.

Agree, McBurnie has a very good all round game...is also used to playing on his own up-top.  That’s one thing I’ve not seen from Adams.  

1 hour ago, Jack Bailey said:

It depends how you are looking at it

As 'potential for future development and profit' then Dan James gets it every day of the week. Leeds attempted to put down 1m (loan) on the table with a further 9m full transfer upon promotion. Swansea pulled the rug as both the 1m and 9m were deferred and over 3 years. Would love to see James here but my guess he would see us as a retrograde move.

Better as a player?, not for me. James is very quick but nowhere near as versatile. He is still very young and inexperienced. COD has 100 appearances for Bristol with many more under his belt at his previous club. He has been capped 13 times for Republic of Ireland. His strength is his speed, his positional versatility and experience. My guess is that we will want 10m for Callum but the deal will get done closer to 7m

Callum would be best off (imho) staying here and continuing to develop.  I don’t think he’s anywhere near ready for a big move. If he does move he’ll have less clubs after him than if he becomes a key player with us next season.  I would call him a “first team regular” - He is not a “first name on the team sheet” player yet.

8 hours ago, Tangle Foot said:

Liverpool’s Adam Lewis plays LB/LM/CM, but hasn’t had a loan yet. 

In terms of a RB, I really like the look of James Justin (Luton Town). Although he may want to stay with Luton Town, or follow Nathan Jones to Stoke City.

COYR.

:facepalm: it was late forgot which side he plays, amendment, if we sell Kelly and get Dasilva in I'd say get Lewis in on loan as rotation/cover. The lack of a loan doesn't worry me so much. As for right side I'd still consider trying to get Bree from Villa if they're in a tricky financial position in the summer.

6 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I certainly wouldn't. I'd reject that sort of money and trust in him to push on next season and he will be worth a lot more. He was outstanding in most games until the last few. He will be centre back next season. I can't see us signing Kalas.

As I said the potential is there, maybe you're right he would be better in the centre of defence but at the moment there are aspects of his game that when he makes a mistake it has put us under pressure, he is very casual, hope you're right and we can eliminate those flaws in his game could be a very good player really hope you are right still think 8 10 million is high though.

12 hours ago, BOSRed said:

Agree with most of this we wont get kalas a bigger club that pay championship wages will sign him 40 000 a week? 

I seriously doubt any of our players are likely to be worth £8-10m. Certainly CoD nor Kelly (who has been out of favour recently) would attract that type of fee.

To me Brownhill has been impressive all season so he possibly might be the closest to that value.

More important is obtaining the signature of both Kalas and Dasilva - assuming both want to stay at AG.

LJ and his recruitment team will have already have a short list of strikers this summer but apart from those two mentioned above and a new striker I can’t see too many squad changes coming up.

The likes of Smith and Walsh will be back of course.

12 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I teally like Reece James (Wigan loan from Chelsea - who else) too.  Just a good allround modern day RB.

I like Ajayi at Rotherham, 25, coming into his peak.  Physical and can play (assumes no Kalas)

I’d have a look at Tyler Walker (Mansfield loan from Forest - Des’s son) if Eisa isn’t gonna make it here - unlikely I reckon.

Agreed- he'd be a dream signing, but just not feasible if we're in Championship IMO. Definitely could look to move Diedhiou on then.

Your other suggestions definitely interesting, worth a look. Hopefully cash permitting, we can get Kalas...hypothetically Kalas and Adams though? Well that'd be fantastic but we would surely need to sell some, get trading.

59 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I seriously doubt any of our players are likely to be worth £8-10m. Certainly CoD nor Kelly (who has been out of favour recently) would attract that type of fee.

To me Brownhill has been impressive all season so he possibly might be the closest to that value.

More important is obtaining the signature of both Kalas and Dasilva - assuming both want to stay at AG.

LJ and his recruitment team will have already have a short list of strikers this summer but apart from those two mentioned above and a new striker I can’t see too many squad changes coming up.

Webster is 100% worth £10m if a prem team comes sniffing

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Webster, brownhill, o'dowda, kelly, will all be valued above 10million by city,

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

This time last year how many  thought Bobby Reid was worth anything like £10m?

Archived