IGNORED

City Royalty

robin_unreliant

13 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Sounds like this may be a case of being too promising? 

I'd rather get a couple of years of first team value than have them head off at 16/17 for a million or so. 

Too promising too young is a familiar story. Unfortunately early promise doesn’t always translate into a successful career. Anyone remember Sean Penny, a City youth player from the early 70s?  He was an England schoolboy international and City funded his education at Millfield school, but he never made it as an adult player. Lots of other examples - eg Marvin Brown 

3 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Shouldn't he be signing for Reading?

Antwerp even better and then at the height of his career the whites of Madrid.

The athletic forward impressed scouts after scoring during Bristol City U18s' 3-0 win against Ipswich Town earlier this month and followed up with two more on Wednesday evening, this time for the club's U16s against local rivals Bristol Rovers in their 3-1 Gloucestershire FA Cup quarter final win.

?????? Will they ever beat us again??

19 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Too promising too young is a familiar story. Unfortunately early promise doesn’t always translate into a successful career. Anyone remember Sean Penny, a City youth player from the early 70s?  He was an England schoolboy international and City funded his education at Millfield school, but he never made it as an adult player. Lots of other examples - eg Marvin Brown 

So that’s two then .

7 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

So that’s two then .

Good arithmetic major. If anyone would care to review the promising academy players of the last 10 years, they would find that the number who didn’t make it is far greater than those who did. It doesn’t matter if only one in ten are successful as this pays for the academy. Prince may make it, but the odds are against him. 

57 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Shaun Penney's career went right down the plughole...he ended up at the Clampetts.

7 hours ago, TETBURY MASSIVE said:

The athletic forward impressed scouts after scoring during Bristol City U18s' 3-0 win against Ipswich Town earlier this month and followed up with two more on Wednesday evening, this time for the club's U16s against local rivals Bristol Rovers in their 3-1 Gloucestershire FA Cup quarter final win.

?????? Will they ever beat us again??

Careful, I think they did last season at this level, albeit on penalties.

7 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Shouldn't he be signing for Reading?

If he is that good shouldn't he be playing for us.  

Love to see us try a teenage prodigy rather than keep talking about young players in their early twenties, or Eisa in his mid 20s.

He might even be the magic player we've been crying out for to shoot us into The Prem!

Instead will land up on loan to Weston, followed by six further seasons on loan, finishing at Newport on loan - if not sold to Chelsea aged 16. In both cases to disappear without trace.  Play him now - if you are good enough you are old enough.

He never made the cut in my Football Manager 2020 save. My scouts kept giving me info on him and suggested I get him on loan but he wasn't ever any better than what I had.

You're welcome for the in-depth insight.

5 hours ago, TBW said:

He never made the cut in my Football Manager 2020 save. My scouts kept giving me info on him and suggested I get him on loan but he wasn't ever any better than what I had.

You're welcome for the in-depth insight.

Strangely just started a new game myself, got to January and had to field off several offers of £750k for him - not tried playing him yet

Dont remember this thread first time round only remember the one that turned into a classic about him ?

On 01/03/2019 at 16:52, Ivorguy said:

If he is that good shouldn't he be playing for us.  

Love to see us try a teenage prodigy rather than keep talking about young players in their early twenties, or Eisa in his mid 20s.

He might even be the magic player we've been crying out for to shoot us into The Prem!

Instead will land up on loan to Weston, followed by six further seasons on loan, finishing at Newport on loan - if not sold to Chelsea aged 16. In both cases to disappear without trace.  Play him now - if you are good enough you are old enough.

Like marvin brown and Tristan plummer?

Let's not get carried away

On 01/03/2019 at 17:08, 189thoughts said:

Tristan Plummer

And Kevin Amanwaah.

The headline was "Arsenal and United declare Waah!"

It's all paper talk.  Marvin Brown was the new Gazza / Cryuff if you believed the papers.

All that they can be at that age is "promising" as there is a long way to go before they can cut it in the first team.

To take another club's "nearly great" player you have Everton's Billy Kenny who was their biggest star young player before Rooney.

https://taleoftwohalves.uk/columnist/billy-kenny-waste-talent

Or Sonny Pike, snapped up as a kid by Ajax and featured on Fantasy Football League.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8632981/Sonny-Pike-one-Englands-young-footballers-London-cabbie.html

2 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

And Kevin Amanwaah.

It's all paper talk.  Marvin Brown was the new Gazza / Cryuff if you believed the papers.

All that they can be at that age is "promising" as there is a long way to go before they can cut it in the first team.

To take another club's "nearly great" player you have Everton's Billy Kenny who was their biggest star young player before Rooney.

Or Sonny Pike, snapped up as a kid by Ajax and featured on Fantasy Football League.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8632981/Sonny-Pike-one-Englands-young-footballers-London-cabbie.html

Absolutely agree. I remember reading a piece of analysis someone had done which basically concluded everyone gets excited about players from 15 - 18 but it's not really until about the age of twenty-one you really get a clear picture on how good someone will be because of the impact of factors like attitude, physical development, work ethic and the fact that some people excel in schoolboy and under-18 football because of their aptitude but then struggle to adapt their game for playing against players that have similar levels of talent to themselves.

It's great we have excited fifteen and sixteen year olds in the system but, if someone did want to give us a million or two for player of that age, it's probably worth our while to take the money as the promising youngsters who fail far outnumber those who succeed. 

3 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

And Kevin Amanwaah.

Wasn't Amankwaah involved in a bad car crash ?  Put him out for quite a while if i remember.

26 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Wasn't Amankwaah involved in a bad car crash ?  Put him out for quite a while if i remember.

Yes he was, or some other accident which really put his career back.

It's more that as @LondonBristolian said it is more common for really bright prospects to go nowhere than for them all to turn into top class players.  I can only offhand think of the half dozen Man Utd players who came through at about the same time in the early 90s as the exception to this.

Just to credit the lad in the OP it is great that he is playing sufficiently well at this age to have attracted premiership scouts but with incredibly rare exceptions (Rooney, Maradona) they remain simply very good prospects at that age rather than already being great players.

I played against Amankwah when he was probably 17/18, I was 29/30.  I was playing up top, and pretty capable using my “belly” to hold off oppositions CBs.  Thought I’d be able to ease KA around.  He absolutely battered me on the first challenge, cleanly though. Odejayi played against us too that day.

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Yes he was, or some other accident which really put his career back.

It's more that as @LondonBristolian said it is more common for really bright prospects to go nowhere than for them all to turn into top class players.  I can only offhand think of the half dozen Man Utd players who came through at about the same time in the early 90s as the exception to this.

Just to credit the lad in the OP it is great that he is playing sufficiently well at this age to have attracted premiership scouts but with incredibly rare exceptions (Rooney, Maradona) they remain simply very good prospects at that age rather than already being great players.

Broken Neck In A Car Accident

Archived