IGNORED

LJ to Fulham ?

Major Isewater

2 hours ago, Selred said:

I heard that JB was angling for a move in the January window - already saying his intentions to leave. 

Agree about big names - Tomlin was a cock. Weimann is a bigger name and seems fine. 

Forbes Phillipson-Masters was a really big name

3 hours ago, Loon plage said:

We have generally had shit managers.

And failed to sustain any kind of success. When have we ever had a manager or team where we’ve looked consistently good for more than a season?

GJ got us out of league 1 and had a good season in championship but then went to shit. Cotterill dominated L1 then the team under performed for whatever reason. Wilson was a nearly man.

1 hour ago, INCRED said:

Would LJ risk ending up on the manager merry go round by joining Fulham where he could be sacked by Christmas?

I don't think so, he could be at City for the next 10 years and be in the Prem with a coaching, development system the envy of many in the near future

Big gamble - Short term Big money versus long term employment and in control of his destiny

And as I understand LJ financial situation, with his property empire, unless he is really greedy for quick bucks, he doesn't need to go for money alone. 

If he moved to a club not staring relegation in the face and for football reasons, that is understandable.

2 hours ago, Monkeh said:

would be a good move for him, work at a club with a bigger budget and better players,

I doubt he would go but it's more tempting then people suggest

I think you are right. I am no longer certain that LJ is as in love with his current job as he once was.

He is hugely ambitious and that is laudable and he may be starting to think that the clubs ambitions don’t match his own - maybe he doesn’t remotely think that, I don’t know, but I do think he wants to manage in the PL.

Assuming we don’t go up this year, the summer is going to be key to him I feel, especially if we make the play-offs.

He could argue with some justification that he achieved that with relatively limited resources but to take the next step he needs investment. If that was not forthcoming then maybe, just maybe, he would look for an exit.

The play-offs would certainly enhance his reputation and maybe one of the relegated PL clubs would be interested.......say Fulham - see what I did there!

5 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I think we’ve generally had better managers than the club deserved. 

Not many likely to attract the top flight club.I accept what was said earlier about Joe Jordan, and as I recall, it was seen as a stepping stone for the national job at the time.

Pulis ( remember him) has done better for himself and of course Roy Hodgson although just about anything was better than City when he was here.

4 hours ago, Selred said:

I heard that JB was angling for a move in the January window - already saying his intentions to leave. 

Better that than stringing the club along. If that was his decision - fair enough. Not like he refused to play or anything

5 hours ago, City Ben said:

Sorry Redbo, can you explain what you mean by him failing to handle big names? I just think that's tosh, to be honest. Tomlin - more of a d*ck than a "big name". Abraham, Kalas, Weimann are probably the biggest names we've had at City for a good few years and I've seen no dramas there. 

5 hours ago, Redbo said:

I was just joshing. Plenty of people cited that as a problem with Tomlin and O’Neil. Like father like son they said. Tomlin especially has proved elsewhere that he is the problem, rather than the managers. 

I would be gutted if LJ left. Not sure Fulham is an upward move particularly. Can’t think of anyone who would do better in the set up we have. Same old management merry-go-round name? No thanks. I’m glad we stuck with him during that losing streak. We will miss him when he goes. For all his faults, he’s still only 37 (?), let him learn. Happy he’s doing it here. 

I don’t think it’s “big names” per se, it’s more those with attitude like a Tomlin. The key is not to recruit them in the first place.  In Lee’s naivety he probably thought ‘I can handle him”, then realised he couldn’t!  Kalas and Weimann are top pros....that’s the difference.  Recruit those types.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t think it’s “big names” per se, it’s more those with attitude like a Tomlin. The key is not to recruit them in the first place.  In Lee’s naivety he probably thought ‘I can handle him”, then realised he couldn’t!  Kalas and Weimann are top pros....that’s the difference.  Recruit those types.

Colin thought that as well.

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

7 hours ago, Sprocket said:

Colin thought that as well.

Whatever you think about Mr Warnock one thing he can usually do is get a tune out of players like him where others have failed. If even he gives up on him then it is clear that it`s the player that`s the problem IMO.

The only person to blame for Tomlin`s failure to perform at City is the player himself and more fool him. If he`d applied himself and not acted like a cock he could have been a hero at AG.

3 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Whatever you think about Mr Warnock one thing he can usually do is get a tune out of players like him where others have failed. If even he gives up on him then it is clear that it`s the player that`s the problem IMO.

The only person to blame for Tomlin`s failure to perform at City is the player himself and more fool him. If he`d applied himself and not acted like a cock he could have been a hero at AG.

Yep, agree.  I know we all laugh at the DNA stuff, but it's so important for a club like ours.  We lost money on Tomlin, that happens, but he almost played a part in getting us relegated.

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

The oft derided DNA test!

Don't think LJ was naive, as during his loan Tomlin was a key figure in our survival. Had he not been signed permanently fans would have been in uproar, especially as he seemed to be the creative midfielder we'd been crying out for.

with hindsight it's easy to see it was a mistake - I bet Warnock thinks much the same.

16 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

I think you are right. I am no longer certain that LJ is as in love with his current job as he once was.

He is hugely ambitious and that is laudable and he may be starting to think that the clubs ambitions don’t match his own - maybe he doesn’t remotely think that, I don’t know, but I do think he wants to manage in the PL.

Assuming we don’t go up this year, the summer is going to be key to him I feel, especially if we make the play-offs.

He could argue with some justification that he achieved that with relatively limited resources but to take the next step he needs investment. If that was not forthcoming then maybe, just maybe, he would look for an exit.

The play-offs would certainly enhance his reputation and maybe one of the relegated PL clubs would be interested.......say Fulham - see what I did there!

Agree with this. LJ to Fulham is plausible. In his press conference after Birmingham he said something along the lines of ‘to be where we are in the league is phenomenal’ and kept repeating ‘we are where we are’. Plus other posters on here said something along the lines of LJ claiming he’d walk the league with a competitive budget. 

LJ must be privately frustrated we didn’t land a striker in the Jan window. He may well feel he’s taken City as far as he can if we don’t get promoted this year. Add in the family connections to Fulham, he may feel this is as good it gets with City and he leaves while his stock is high. If it doesn’t work out he gets a pay off and is not in bad company as a manager who didn’t get the time there under an impatient owner.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he is wanted by Fulham - he’s won every game there as a manager!  That being said Parker will be in pole position if he does well til end of season. And there’d probably be others - e.g. Wagner - who they’d look at first 

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Didn’t we recoup our fee when selling LT to Cardiff? I could be incorrect....

Around £3m to sign him....sold for about £1.9m.

As with all fees, unless specifically published, we can't be 100% sure.  A year into his 3 year deal, I suspect we lost a third, with equates roughly to the values above...aligned to the value of his remaining Amortised value.

@downendcity I seem to recall an interview at the time of signing where it was felt LJ could "tame" him.  It might not have been LJ himself, might've been Ashton or one of the coaches, referring back to his problems and how Lee had handled him in his loan spell.

I don’t think he will leave here. Not many managers get afforded the luxury of a chairman / owner standing by when fans are calling for his head. 

To me even though I never really wanted LJ here enjoy reading what other club’s fans views on him. The link to the Fulham forum earlier in the thread show that he’s impressing them. 

I think even the LJ out fans will finally appreciate what we had when he’s gone. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Around £3m to sign him....sold for about £1.9m.

As with all fees, unless specifically published, we can't be 100% sure.  A year into his 3 year deal, I suspect we lost a third, with equates roughly to the values above...aligned to the value of his remaining Amortised value.

@downendcity I seem to recall an interview at the time of signing where it was felt LJ could "tame" him.  It might not have been LJ himself, might've been Ashton or one of the coaches, referring back to his problems and how Lee had handled him in his loan spell.

Yep, the signing and selling fees for LT we’re both widely reported as ‘undisclosed’ - so I suppose we can’t be sure

I can’t see him leaving. 

Yes if we were struggling at the other end of the league maybe - with the crowd on his back, but not now. 

He is massively unlikely to save Fulham from the drop - he won’t be able to buy any players this season - and he wouldn’t want a relegation on his CV. 

He is building something here - it’s far from finished - but we are getting there and he wouldn’t want to start over again by getting relegated with Fulham. 

I don’t think managing egos is a problem for him either - he’s pretty thick-skinned. I can’t imagine he would tolerate a player refusing to be subbed for instance...... that player would never play again under him in that situation. 

On ‎01‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 10:59, Davefevs said:

It does....but it’s inctedibly rare!

We saw a decent example in Darren Huckerby…. took a pay cut each year to stay at Norwich after relegation, turned down £40k a week from two teams overseas to keep his constantly dwinding Norwich wage as well as lots of Premier League offers. 

He'd fallen out of love with football before coming.... came to us, then we fell in love with him and he fell in love with us. Since settled in Norwich and calls himself a Norwich fan, even when we're playing his hometown team Nottingham Forest. 

Then he turned down Championship offers after leaving us because he didn't want to play against us, instead playing out his career in the MLS. 

Will forever be a legend in Norwich. 

In fairness though if he was sensible with money he had probably already achieved financial security.... circa-£1.2 million in signing on fees from transfers before joining us, and was at Leeds when they were spending like crazy, and he is a bit of an extrovert so probably loves having the adulation of a city achieved by being a big fish in a small pond. 

Still great to see a player choose enjoying their football over maximising their career earnings.... now you've got people like Jack Rodwell and Micah Richards getting away with earning millions for doing nothing, and top class players going to China because they value money over legacy. 

4 hours ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

I don’t think he will leave here. Not many managers get afforded the luxury of a chairman / owner standing by when fans are calling for his head. 

To me even though I never really wanted LJ here enjoy reading what other club’s fans views on him. The link to the Fulham forum earlier in the thread show that he’s impressing them. 

I think even the LJ out fans will finally appreciate what we had when he’s gone. 

Only two managers have evidently 'sussed us out' this season, and we've got so many dimensions to our play that this is very difficult to do.

Chris Wilder and Lee Johnson.

Lee Johnson was the first manager (in the 2-2 game) to set his team up effectively to prevent us using Tim Krul as an 11th outfield player, and it was surprising to see so many Briz fans criticising him after the game. Knew right away that he was a manager who studied his opponents in depth before picking a team and deploying tactics accordingly.

If we were to appoint a domestic manager again in the future I'd probably choose Lee Johnson, if I'm honest. 

Hopefully you can squeeze up via the play-offs (if Norwich aren't in them!) and won't have to worry about relegated teams.... if you do then he'd surely fancy himself to do an Eddie Howe. 

1 hour ago, NorwichGeezer said:

Only two managers have evidently 'sussed us out' this season, and we've got so many dimensions to our play that this is very difficult to do.

Chris Wilder and Lee Johnson.

Lee Johnson was the first manager (in the 2-2 game) to set his team up effectively to prevent us using Tim Krul as an 11th outfield player, and it was surprising to see so many Briz fans criticising him after the game. Knew right away that he was a manager who studied his opponents in depth before picking a team and deploying tactics accordingly.

If we were to appoint a domestic manager again in the future I'd probably choose Lee Johnson, if I'm honest. 

Hopefully you can squeeze up via the play-offs (if Norwich aren't in them!) and won't have to worry about relegated teams.... if you do then he'd surely fancy himself to do an Eddie Howe. 

Some of our fans are more worried about him doing an Eddie the Eagle

Archived