IGNORED

LJ to Fulham ?

Major Isewater

1 hour ago, Rob k said:

He’s walked out on 2 jobs so I’m not so sure about that 

When push comes to shove,  I am sure he will think about what is right and best for LJ not what is right and best for this club. That's not because he doesn't care about the club, or the support that he's received from SL, but in the long term he must care more about his career.

Bearing in mind that if we slumped from now to the end of the season, SL might decide that LJ has taken us as far as he can and makes a managerial change, because, much as though he cares about LJ, he cares more about Bristol City and it's future.

Given the grief LJ receives, I wouldn't blame him for leaving and neither would I view it as jumping ship. Would loved to have seen what might have happened had he been given eight mill to spend on a striker over the transfer window, but there you go. 

Still, it's an interesting time to be at City, and it wouldn't surprise me if everyone plays it a little carefully - Fulham install a short-term manager and come knocking come summer. 

Though baffled by many of his decisions, I've grown to really like LJ and think he's got great potential. Would love to see that fully unlocked at City, but can't begrudge him seeking to better himself elsewhere given the purse strings and the constant need to sell the best assets. 

2 hours ago, poland_exile said:

Given the grief LJ receives, I wouldn't blame him for leaving and neither would I view it as jumping ship. Would loved to have seen what might have happened had he been given eight mill to spend on a striker over the transfer window, but there you go. 

Still, it's an interesting time to be at City, and it wouldn't surprise me if everyone plays it a little carefully - Fulham install a short-term manager and come knocking come summer. 

Though baffled by many of his decisions, I've grown to really like LJ and think he's got great potential. Would love to see that fully unlocked at City, but can't begrudge him seeking to better himself elsewhere given the purse strings and the constant need to sell the best assets. 

How do you know he wasn't - just because he didn't spend it doesn't mean it wasn't available?

if I give Mrs Downend £500 to buy an outfit, shoes and bag, it is guaranteed she will come back with no money and an outfit, shoes and bag, even if it's not the outfit, shoes or bag that she really needed or wanted, but I don't think shopping for an expensive striker is done along the same lines.

9 minutes ago, downendcity said:

How do you know he wasn't - just because he didn't spend it doesn't mean it wasn't available?

if I give Mrs Downend £500 to buy an outfit, shoes and bag, it is guaranteed she will come back with no money and an outfit, shoes and bag, even if it's not the outfit, shoes or bag that she really needed or wanted, but I don't think shopping for an expensive striker is done along the same lines.

£500! Bloody hell, you got off lightly!

On 02/03/2019 at 13:35, bcfcredandwhite said:

He is massively unlikely to save Fulham from the drop - he won’t be able to buy any players this season - and he wouldn’t want a relegation on his CV. 

He is building something here - it’s far from finished - but we are getting there and he wouldn’t want to start over again by getting relegated with Fulham. 

The reports linking LJ with Fulham suggest they want him to join in the summer - so he wouldn’t have a relegation on his cv...

9 hours ago, poland_exile said:

Given the grief LJ receives, I wouldn't blame him for leaving and neither would I view it as jumping ship.....

The grief he receives?!!?! Being manager or head coach at Bristol City does not come with a lot of ‘grief’ - as a fanbase we are very laid-back and quiet - we don’t harangue the guy in charge and the often used ‘toxic atmosphere’ phrase just doesn’t apply to us. Head Coaches in Newcastle and Italy get ‘grief’ - unbelievably so in Italy where training grounds are often invaded by irate and angry fans....for LJ it’s a walk in the park here...he doesn’t get ‘grief’....

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

The grief he receives?!!?! Being manager or head coach at Bristol City does not come with a lot of ‘grief’ - as a fanbase we are very laid-back and quiet - we don’t harangue the guy in charge and the often used ‘toxic atmosphere’ phrase just doesn’t apply to us. Head Coaches in Newcastle and Italy get ‘grief’ - unbelievably so in Italy where training grounds are often invaded by irate and angry fans....for LJ it’s a walk in the park here...he doesn’t get ‘grief’....

Pretty sure he had death threats and ended up moving at one point, so I'm not sure your right here.

8 hours ago, BCFC Richard said:

Pretty sure he had death threats and ended up moving at one point, so I'm not sure your right here.

He said he received a death threat when we signed Matty Taylor - so surely  that threat was not from a Bristol City fan....he talks about it here from 01:45...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/41608008

20 hours ago, poland_exile said:

He gets no more grief than any manager who goes on losing runs. He's doing ok now, so no grief that I can see.

I cannot imagine that Fulham will be interested in LJ , certainly not until the summer anyway, as they will be a Championship club again by then. Would they trust him to spend all that parachute money though or would they want someone with more experience ?

Quite understandably, his first loyalty is to himself and his family, and anyone who thinks he actually loves this club above all others is suffering from gashead syndrome. Whether its Fulham or anyone else with a better chance of improving his profile, he will be off just like any other manager.

On 01/03/2019 at 17:02, old_eastender said:

Just like it was true when the Mirror ran the story that we were going to get a number of Man City starlets after our League Cup Semi-Final games last season... remind me how many did we get on loan?

Perhaps, just perhaps, if LJ can lead us to finish in a play-off spot, that might be an achievement that could make Fulham interested. Have to remember for now LJ has achieved... dick all - well ok taking us to the League Cup semi-finals. That's it.

Your'e forgetting that when he came here from Barnsley they were already in a cup final and all but guaranteed promotion.

So he hasn't achieved dick all.

16 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

It's all relative. Of course it's not on a same level as some more lively leagues abroad, but that has nothing to do with it and what goes on in argentina or italy or turkey or umpteen other countries isn't a benchmark that can be applied to a single club in Britain. 

My comment wasn't meant as a dig at our fans, btw, all entitled to opinions and i've certainly dealt out my own share of grief to some of our managers in the past. Honestly speaking though, I think LJ has had as rough a ride as Osman or Pulis ever got, which is crazy given how bad they were. Maybe I'm the only person who thinks that, and quite possibly I'm wrong! 

Certainly though, I don't think the crowd has ever really come close to embracing him in the same way we have some lesser managers and unless I've catastrophically mis-read the situation, there were quite a few people who desperately wanted him out. I might be wrong on that? 

And as for toxic... Maybe toxic is also going over the mark, but again, unless I've really got my facts mixed up there was quite a hefty tide of disillusionment sweeping over the club at various times during his reign, most recently in November....

Archived