IGNORED

Should have bought a striker in January. We've been found out. Woe is .....

red panda

23 minutes ago, red panda said:

not us but Leeds fans, following their defeat at Loftus Rd, according to a Leeds-based journalist on the Radio 4 0825 sports bulletin this morning

I daresay Leeds had the same difficulty as City did - no decent strikers available in the winter window.......

:dunno:

32 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I daresay Leeds had the same difficulty as City did - no decent strikers available in the winter window.......

:dunno:

Of course there were decent strikers available in January , it is more a question of clubs , finally, deciding not to make eye watering offers to get them in . 

2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Of course there were decent strikers available in January , it is more a question of clubs , finally, deciding not to make eye watering offers to get them in . 

Were there decent strikers capable of playing at Championship level? 

I doubt it somehow.

6 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

So in world football there were no strikers available in Jan that could do well in the Championship?

Utter nonsense

Yes, I’m sure there were some strikers available ‘in world football’, but how do you know they would have done well in the Championship?  We took a striker on loan in the January window in 2018 who appeared to fit the bill and look how that turned out.  The important thing is not to sign ‘any striker in world football’ but the right striker for Bristol City and, yes, maybe that striker wasn’t available in January.  How many strikers changed hands this January?  How many of them have been an instant success?  The important thing was not to affect the momentum that was building by making signings that would have been destructive to the team morale.  If the right striker wasn’t available then I completely back the decision not to sign any striker at all.

16 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

So in world football there were no strikers available in Jan that could do well in the Championship?

Utter nonsense

I believe there were, but we were never in the running due to our wage ceiling.

Mind you, it could also have depended on our opening gambit during negotiations.

Was it, "How would you like to carve your name into Bristol City folklore, by shooting us into the Premier League with the abundant financial benefits for your career?"

Or was it, 'How would you like to be back up to Famara Diedhiou?"

6 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Yes, I’m sure there were some strikers available ‘in world football’, but how do you know they would have done well in the Championship?  We took a striker on loan in the January window in 2018 who appeared to fit the bill and look how that turned out.  The important thing is not to sign ‘any striker in world football’ but the right striker for Bristol City and, yes, maybe that striker wasn’t available in January.  How many strikers changed hands this January?  How many of them have been an instant success?  The important thing was not to affect the momentum that was building by making signings that would have been destructive to the team morale.  If the right striker wasn’t available then I completely back the decision not to sign any striker at all.

This is spot on, how many of the posters moaning about not signing a striker in January and flippant remarks about none available worldwide etc etc.. are the same posters who moaned about Diony's impact, who looked to have been a good signing 

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Name them...........

methinks you're being your usual sh*t stirring self this morning Robbo, even you can't possibly think there are no strikers that could do well for us anywhere, money talks now whether they would come to us well that's another matter.

12 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

I believe there were, but we were never in the running due to our wage ceiling.

Not sure about “never in the running”, but a good chance that we struggled to agree a satisfactory deal with the other club.

Mind you, it could also have depended on our opening gambit during negotiations.

@Kid in the Riot suggested the 4 month loan of Assombolonga would cost £3.5m all-in.  That is an awful lot of money.

Was it, "How would you like to carve your name into Bristol City folklore, by shooting us into the Premier League with the abundant financial benefits for your career?"

Or was it, 'How would you like to be back up to Famara Diedhiou?"

...and what do you say to record signing Fam?  Sorry, you’re no longer first choice.

6 minutes ago, pillred said:

methinks you're being your usual sh*t stirring self this morning Robbo, even you can't possibly think there are no strikers that could do well for us anywhere, money talks now whether they would come to us well that's another matter.

That's the point though, isn't it? Let's talk about some specific names (rather than vague generalisations) and then see how realistic they really are in terms of coming to us. 

16 minutes ago, pillred said:

Not stirring the shit at all.

We all know that January is a poor time to sign any player essentially because they’re more expensive.

Rumours about Assambalonga were exactly that - rumour. No other Championship rival club would allow their player to join another Championship  club.

So I’ll ask again  - name those strikers that have Championship experience were available last window?

42 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

We were discussing Leeds United not BCFC

The striker we took on loan in January 2018 was on an awful run of form so hardly fitted the bill for us.I think he hadn't scored in 17 games and was also in his words "a dark place".He was an absolute disaster for us and personally was one of the worst strikers I saw at the gate.

35 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Not stirring the shit at all.

We all know that January is a poor time to sign any player essentially because they’re more expensive.

Rumours about Assambalonga were exactly that - rumour. No other Championship rival club would allow their player to join another Championship  club.

So I’ll ask again  - name those strikers that have Championship experience were available last window?

I don't think the post was just about championship strikers or those with championship experience, as I said any number of strikers would improve us it's whether they would come to us, though I'm sure if Steve Lansdown really wanted to he could bring almost anybody to us and to hell with ffp.

3 minutes ago, pillred said:

I don't think the post was just about championship strikers or those with championship experience, as I said any number of strikers would improve us it's whether they would come to us, though I'm sure if Steve Lansdown really wanted to he could bring almost anybody to us and to hell with ffp.

...Then get a transfer embargo, or a points deduction, demotion from promotion places, refusal to register players by EFL, wage limits on new signings. Think about it?

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

That's what I jokingly meant Dave. City were either unable to give a transfer target assurances that they would be the main striker, or we declined to pay an exhorbitant fee for the likes of Assombalonga.

Leon Clarke would have been a great fit, but having been relegated to the Blades' bench this season, 'headlining' Wigan's attack was likely a more attractive option.

6 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Leon Clarke would have been a great fit, but having been relegated to the Blades' bench this season, 'headlining' Wigan's attack was likely a more attractive option.

Yep, play every week, or share minutes with Fam?  As it was a loan, it wasn’t gonna be about money for him personally, all about playing.

19 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

...Then get a transfer embargo, or a points deduction, demotion from promotion places, refusal to register players by EFL, wage limits on new signings. Think about it?

Well when you put it like that! maybe not such a good idea, there must have been somebody we could have got that would have helped though surely.

34 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Listen fella, I'm already having nightmares about missing the play-offs without literally drowning in my own tears. ?

Plenty of good quality championship strikers would have been available, club like us just decided they weren't financially sensible, difference between not available and not wanting to pay the stupid prices 

25 minutes ago, pillred said:

Well when you put it like that! maybe not such a good idea, there must have been somebody we could have got that would have helped though surely.

Yeah, a striker would have been ideal. Leon Clarke on loan though not stellar, could he have helped cover for Diedhiou/offer something different? He seems the most likely candidate, but they are very hard to find in January, ones who can slot in and hit the ground running. Assombalonga would have been a dream, but how would it have held us back moving forward if didn't fire up- lots of variables!

I assume we have been scouting Fam cover since it was decided Duric wasn’t good enough.  I’m amazed that, as it seems a position LJ highlighted we haven’t found anyone, either as a prospect to play a few games to rest Fam or a player on loan or a championship ready purchase to compete with Fam for a starting place.  Poor scouting, selling the club or poor backing of our manager in my book.  It it’s a position we desperately needed to fill and if the market rate is high for this type of player surely at some stage SL will have to loosen the purse strings if we truely want promotion.

Archived