IGNORED

Diedhiou - lack of cover

Davefevs

Just want to pose a question.  We all have various views on Fam, from couldn’t trap a bag of cement to vital to the way we play.

FWIW I think he was more vital to us early in our change of form, and have defended him a fair bit, but of late I’ve seen better play from others to reduce my perceived importance of him, and on Tuesday night as a one-off game, I thought he was very ineffective despite scoring our goal...partly because of average service and partly because he was bullied.  It got me thinking about whether there is another option

Most if not all of us have said that CF is the one position we don’t have cover for the way we play.  You could argue that in CM we don’t have another Pack but that’s not for this topic!

What if Fam was injured, suspended (or dropped)!! 

Assuming we continue to play 4141/4411 type formation, what are our options to start a game?

• Taylor
  • Weimann (would need someone to play RW/RM - we have a fair few options!!!)
  • Eisa
  • Semenyo
  • Palmer (?)
  • Watkins (?)

Could Matty Taylor buzz around, being a pest, whilst giving an out-ball option when playing on his own?

Could Weimann get back to his early season scoring form, feeding off a rejuvinated Pato (or Palmer from the bench e.g. Forest away) in a much more cohesive team style than Aug/Sep?

Could Eisa or Semenyo come from nowhere to give us the spark, goals or both to send us into the play-offs?

If Fam got injured I’d like to see us revert back to the 4-4-1-1 of last season with Pato/Weimann/Taylor occupying the 2 further forward positions. However last season when this was a success we had Bryan/Pack/Smith/Brownhill as the midfield which was extremely solid, whereas this season we don’t have the personnel available for this solidity so not sure if it would actually be feasible. 

The 4-1-4-1 we have been playing has allowed us to sneak wins and be solid with the players we have available to us, but teams may now be starting to figure us out. A change of formation may work in our favour in that sense, but could also cause us to capitulate and begin to leak more goals. 

Plan ‘B’ will certainly be interesting to see if we need to deploy it from the start of a game that’s for sure.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@DownendRed97 I would actually like to see MT given a start tomorrow over Fam...I think he deserves a start.

Would go:

NM | EP TK AW JD | MP | AW JB JP CO | MT

It’s not going to happen now is it Dave ?

Famara worked his socks off and scored a goal a sure sign that LJ would drop him .

However, start Matty up front with FD and you could have something. Bring on the unlucky Weiman at 60 to boost our energy levels .

5 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

It’s not going to happen now is it Dave ?

Famara worked his socks off and scored a goal a sure sign that LJ would drop him .

However, start Matty up front with FD and you could have something. Bring on the unlucky Weiman at 60 to boost our energy levels .

The Fam / Matty partnership seen from the start of a game have been rare, and impossible to some extent in the current set-up.

I don’t want Lee to abandon the 4411/4141, but would like to see how we cope with playing someone else there.  As we always lose to Preston, why not give it a try? ?

I think that Brum's 4-4-2 last Tuesday completely negated our preferred formation to the extent that Fam appeared to be wearing concrete boots.

We should have matched them far earlier and occupied two centre backs that seemed more interested in settling old scores with their ode to professionalism.

Mind you, the Senegalese striker should benefit from more space at Deepdale as City will play a reactive counter attacking game.

In short, away from home, if it aint broke, tra la la.

Until, of if we have no option to change, I don’t see us dropping Fam. That said, one pairing I’d like to see is Weimann ahead of Palmer. AW makes some intelligent runs, and Planer to me looks like he could spot a pass. Though in the current set up, Fam is the best pick imo.

Taylor always looks busy when he comes on, but that has a lot to do with timing and the fact we are normally pressing/chasing and that defenders now have 2 players to worry about. I don’t think he has the pace to play on the shoulder, though his hold up play is good.

The likes of Eisa, Semenyo etc would be a sign of panic, though I would like to get to see them play at some point. 

I do agree with Curt Avon, the system does seem to be ideal away , let’s hope thats true tomorrow.

We'll need Diedhiou tomorrow. There will be many times where we are pressed and have to find him earlier than we would probably like to. FWIW I think Semenyo should be getting more game time. At least coming off the bench to help/replace Diedhiou. He's the only alternative physical presence. 

35 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

I think that Brum's 4-4-2 last Tuesday completely negated our preferred formation to the extent that Fam appeared to be wearing concrete boots.

We should have matched them far earlier and occupied two centre backs that seemed more interested in settling old scores with their ode to professionalism.

Mind you, the Senegalese striker should benefit from more space at Deepdale as City will play a reactive counter attacking game.

In short, away from home, if it aint broke, tra la la.

You’re right, that away Fam has been more effective.

It's an interesting one, Dave. I guess the most obvious is that we do what we did when Diedhiou missed the first 6 or 7 games. It would need a slight change of style, but we did OK.

But I also can't help feeling that recalling Semenyo was done with exactly this scenario in mind. It's why we haven't seen him so far, because we've had Diedhiou available, but if we lost home and Semenyo still didn't feature then it would rather beg some questions! 

29 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Until, of if we have no option to change, I don’t see us dropping Fam. That said, one pairing I’d like to see is Weimann ahead of Palmer. AW makes some intelligent runs, and Planer to me looks like he could spot a pass. Though in the current set up, Fam is the best pick imo.

I've said exactly the same, but was disappointed on Tuesday. For some reason Weimann seemed to drop deeper, switched wings, and certainly didn't make any of those runs that he usually makes so brilliantly and no-one spots. 

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

I've said exactly the same, but was disappointed on Tuesday. For some reason Weimann seemed to drop deeper, switched wings, and certainly didn't make any of those runs that he usually makes so brilliantly and no-one spots. 

TBF Brum played us well and never left any space to play in. Everyone seemed to be playing deeper, looking for the ball/space. I swear our midfield was deeper when we had the ball than when they did.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

@DownendRed97 I would actually like to see MT given a start tomorrow over Fam...I think he deserves a start.

Would go: 

This sounds about right to me, although I thought Pisano was poor on Tuesday and I expect Bailey Wright to be back in at right back.

1 minute ago, Frenchay Red said:

I'm not his biggest fan, but he scored on Tues, & scored today.

Rather suggests that he is doing it.

He wasn’t great on Tuesday, but shaded it as my MOTM today. 

8 goals in 15+1sub since Ipswich in the Champ!!

He needs to do more at home games, but maybe that’s for LJ to suss out!!

2 hours ago, Redmycolour said:

Yeh, fammy is not doing it, give him a rest, 

1 hour ago, bengalcub said:

It was evidant fammy wasnt doing it on tuesday why has lj picked him again ? 

Not doing it???

He's scored in both games.

:facepalm:    :facepalm:

50 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

Not doing it???

He's scored in both games.

:facepalm:    :facepalm:

If we had options he wouldnt of come out for the second half on tuesday , as for his tap in even bas savage would of fell into that , he was poor ,taylor wasnt he didnt deserve to start today .

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

He wasn’t great on Tuesday, but shaded it as my MOTM today. 

8 goals in 15+1sub since Ipswich in the Champ!!

He needs to do more at home games, but maybe that’s for LJ to suss out!!

We are also set up very differently from last season. Sounds a bit daft, but we seem to be starting from the basis of conceding fewer than the other team, rather than trying to outscore the opponent.

If usually we are conceeding 0 or 1, then a goal every second or third game will usually all end up getting you points. It’s easy to look at somebody like Tammy and say ‘think where we would be with his 21 goals’, but it’s very unlikely the way we set up he would have got anywhere near that for us. Villa on their day can score for fun, but those days do not come along that often as their shape means they can also get picked off.

Having said all that, would be nice to get back to a clean sheet or two ourselves.Thought we were back to looking pretty sure ld again today.

3 hours ago, Redmycolour said:

Yeh, fammy is not doing it, give him a rest, 

3 hours ago, bengalcub said:

Lack of options behave , eisa , semenyo , mt, aw ....

Lj is stubborn same as cotterill and look what happened to him 

Both of these better be joking surely

3 hours ago, bengalcub said:

Lack of options behave , eisa , semenyo , mt, aw ....

Lj is stubborn same as cotterill and look what happened to him 

Ridiculous comment! Deidhou has scored in both games,  Johnson regularly makes early subs when he has got it wrong. Hardly stubborn!!

Bangal

Possibly the prize for The most stupid (or tongue in cheek) comment so far this year.

In a season of narrow wins and vital draws what price Fam goals?Despite not having Tammy or Messi up front to score goals how many if the chasing pack have a better goal difference than us? EXACTLY. If the final day hinges on GD would you prefer a better GD or more goals and a worse GD?

4 hours ago, bengalcub said:

If we had options he wouldnt of come out for the second half on tuesday , as for his tap in even bas savage would of fell into that , he was poor ,taylor wasnt he didnt deserve to start today .

You're entitled to your view, but I think I trust the view of the manager more than yours!

On 01/03/2019 at 11:08, Davefevs said:

Would go:

I’ll be surprised if Taylor gets on the pitch for us again this season. He could end up leaving with our young starlet chomping at the bits!  If he does go he’ll end up in league one where he belongs because no championship side would pay decent money for a striker who hardly ever scores. 

No a bad player but just doesn’t put his chances away. 

3 hours ago, swanker said:

I’ll be surprised if Taylor gets on the pitch for us again this season. He could end up leaving with our young starlet chomping at the bits!  If he does go he’ll end up in league one where he belongs because no championship side would pay decent money for a striker who hardly ever scores. 

No a bad player but just doesn’t put his chances away. 

I think his future is in doubt, purely because we exercised our one year option, candidate there’s been no talk of an extension.

Semenyo could of course push him further down the line in time, but I think he’s got a big part to play yet.

In terms of stats, he’s played a shade over 10 (942 minutes) 90 minute games and has 3 goals and 5 assists.  That is pretty decent.

Also, think what you mean by decent money.  In today’s world we still ought to make a sizeable profit in his £300k!!

Think he plays an important role off the pitch, all the players seem to like him.

Archived