IGNORED

Should we let Semenyo loose against Leeds.

Vincent Vega

Well, suggest almost nailed on we will start with a FD on is own BUT.... having listened to LJ  on radio Brizzle you simply never know.  I certainly feel he will play a role in our run in, and rightly so.  Gary Owers was full of praise for him (later when AS was interviewed transpired he lodged with him)   If he is good enough he is old enough, seems very strong.  I note on the PNE forum seem to think he was rather decent ! 

LJ in his interview said Semenyo is the best player at the club for holding the ball up and ‘wriggling and rolling’

This is what has been lacking IMO all season. Fam gets a lot of stick for not holding the ball up well (not easy as a lone striker) but with Semenyo taking it up it will give him more time and space. I understand people saying play it safe against Leeds but I think now is the time to be brave. He may well tire after 60 mins which is the perfect time for Taylor/Palmer.

Let’s do to Leeds what they did to WBA. 

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

The trouble with only having Fam up front is that Leeds have probably the best two CBs in the division in Jansson and Cooper and they won`t let him have a sniff. If there was a game to try something different it`s this one IMO.

Jansson is very easily wound up though.

Could/should have been sent off in the first half against us a couple of seasons ago. Lost his temper at a burst ball at one point and kicked it out the ground.

4 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Could/should have been sent off in the first half against us a couple of seasons ago. Lost his temper at a burst ball at one point and kicked it out the ground.

I know I was there and it was hilarious. He`s calmed down now though and doesn`t turn into a bombscare at the slightest provocation.

12 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Sounds perfect for Matty Taylor then! Wasn't this the fixture last year when one of their defenders got sent off after clashing with Taylor?

2 hours ago, Allwaysred said:

I can't believe we're still playing 1 up top at home so easy to defend and let's the opposition get a foot hold in midfield as Birmingham did tuesday. I've only seen us once dominate a game the whole 90mins at that was Swansea says alot about are play. I'd certainly start FD and AS against Leeds and put them on the back foot or will get punished. 

You don't know anything about football tactics do you?

4 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Sounds perfect for Matty Taylor then! Wasn't this the fixture last year when one of their defenders got sent off after clashing with Taylor?

The year before I think - Berardi?. MT got sent off too I think but it was rescinded later. Essentially he was sent off for being headbutted.

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

He should, but he won't.  Sadly, Johnson has gone too far with stability and is erring on the side of predictability.

I know I bang on about this , but yet another poor first half and a game we have had to chase. 

If we let Leeds get their snouts ahead  on Saturday,  we'll be looking at a big, fat null points.

Johnson seems to change the tactics every 10 games or so, we probably have 3 games before he is supposed to changes it. He tends to try and be stable for 10 games at a time.

I think his final hand may come out over the next couple of games though as other teams seem to have figured us out towards the end of this block of 10/12.

3 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

A few who saw the game today mentioned a lack of spark from some players , probably due tiredness. If that’s the case then chuck him in . He could be the spark we need for the run in. 

******* right... bollocks to it, what have we really got to lose? Lets go for it!!!!!

It’s great to hear that he made a positive impact when he came on today. Well done young man! 

However, I doubt his 3 goals in League 2 so far this season, are going to cause Leeds too many sleepless nights in the build up to next Saturday..! 

Lets not start heaping pressure and expectation on him, eh..!

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

It’s great to hear that he made a positive impact when he came on today. Well done young man! 

However, I doubt his 3 goals in League 2 so far this season, are going to cause Leeds too many sleepless nights in the build up to next Saturday..! 

Lets not start heaping pressure and expectation on him, eh..!

Love it how we all think we’re playing champ man these days... get the ******* lad involved, if he’s good enough, he’s old enough!!!

27 minutes ago, KeepUpLino said:

Love it how we all think we’re playing champ man these days... get the ******* lad involved, if he’s good enough, he’s old enough!!!

Exactly. And that's one of the reasons why Leeds have excelled this season, faith in their youngsters.

45 minutes ago, KeepUpLino said:

You think he’s improved substantially, since last month, when he was struggling to score goals in League 2..?!

Lets hope you’re right..! 

1 minute ago, Bar BS3 said:

You think he’s improved substantially, since last month, when he was struggling to score goals in League 2..?!

Lets hope you’re right..! 

Give the kid a chance... he did ok today!! Why not at least give the kid a chance to prove he’s not quite ready... if we don’t we’ll never know!

He was great today off the bench, his presence helped Diedhiou top but I'm unsure about him and Diedhiou from the start.

Leeds will be a much different game. People talk about their prodigious workrate but they're also excellent technically. Would 2 up front leave us vulnerable, plus risk exposing Pack? I think it could.

Otoh, if it's about us being deep until they reach say halfway inside our half and then pressing and springing quick breaks,  then this could expose Leeds somewhat. 

If we want to try to compete for equal or greater possession I'd say not, if it's counterpressing type game as above then it could be worth some consideration.

17 minutes ago, KeepUpLino said:

Give the kid a chance... he did ok today!! Why not at least give the kid a chance to prove he’s not quite ready... if we don’t we’ll never know!

LJ just has. Let’s hope he continues to have an impact. 

My worry would be Yanson would kick him up in the air first 5 minutes and he could go into hiding. Maybe better to come on after Fam has worn him out after 60 mins

9 minutes ago, TomF said:

My worry would be Yanson would kick him up in the air first 5 minutes and he could go into hiding. Maybe better to come on after Fam has worn him out after 60 mins

The kids been playing in League 2 for half a season, I imagine he's been kicked a fair bit already since the summer.

A Norwich-supporting mate if mine went to Elland Rd when Norwich hammered Leeds (3-0 was it?) and said that Norwich just went at them from the start and Leeds crumbled defensively and couldn't get going up front. Now we're not Norwich but I think the lesson there is that sitting back and trying to contain Leeds isn't a great option. So if Semenyo is going to help keep them on the back foot then we should give him a go

Archived